Iceland Pro Cruises

NorthernPineLover

We are interested in Iceland Pro Cruises but cannot find any reviews. Does anyone have any information?

I'm glad you brought this company to my attention as I had been looking for an affordable way to do these two countries. I also searched for information and the only thing I've found so far is the ship is one of Quark Expeditions' ships. Whether they are selling or leasing it to new company, I don't know.

CC has no reviews for Quark. But Trip Advisor does including this forum: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12337-k5967305-Quark_Expeditions_Ocean_Diamond_looking_for_opinions-Antarctic_Adventures.html

And this You Tube video:

• 2 weeks later...

We just started looking at some information on this cruise, the Ocean Diamond, for next summer. We really like the itinerary and the ship looks beautiful. Several years ago, we took a trip to Antarctica through Quark Expedition and the whole trip was fantastic, but the ship we were on didn't look anything like the Ocean Diamond. We'll keep researching. If we hear anything, we'll post it.

• 1 month later...

Looks fascinating. I did have trouble understanding what differentiated the cabin prices at the lower ends... They all seem to be the same size? And only the H has twin beds, until one approaches the very high end...

Sooner or later I hope we hear from others!

We just started looking at some information on this cruise, the Ocean Diamond, for next summer. We really like the itinerary and the ship looks beautiful. Several years ago, we took a trip to Antarctica through Quark Expedition and the whole trip was fantastic, but the ship we were on didn't look anything like the Ocean Diamond. We'll keep researching. If we hear anything, we'll post it.

Quark Expeditions is currently using Ocean Diamond for cruises in Antarctica. It uses different ships for the Arctic.

My wife, son and I just booked an 11-day "On the Trail of the Vikings" cruise on Iceland Pro Cruises for August 6-16 2015 visiting Iceland and Greenland. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who will be taking the same voyage or another Iceland Pro Cruise itinerary.

Iceland Pro Cruises appears to be a new line using the SS Ocean Diamond, which I've read is used by Quark at other times of the year. There's not a lot of information about Iceland Pro Cruises online, so I'd like to hear from other cruisers planning trips on the line, to share future info, e.g., what is their tipping policy, what boots are advised for the zodiacs, can I bring alcohol on board (I usually buy some at KEF airport on the way since they have a duty free shop, less all the Icelandic taxes, for incoming passengers).

This is our 3rd family trip to Iceland; our first visit to Greenland; and our first cruise of the region. Iceland is a beautiful and peaceful place. The pricing for this cruise ended up being much more reasonable than what we would have paid for a similar itinerary on another line, perhaps owing to this being the line's first season. So we're very excited about the trip and hoping that we got a good bargain.

P.s. We managed to find n/s flights from the East Coast of the US to Reykjavik (KEF) for a little over $400 pp in August. A new Icelandic airline called wowair.com is running some real bargains.

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
new post merged into existing thread

• 3 months later...
We are interested in Iceland Pro Cruises but cannot find any reviews. Does anyone have any information?

I too am looking for information about Pro cruises and ocean diamond ship in particular. We are going to Iceland and would like this itinerary. Also does any one have any information about GOWAY travel based in Toronto Ontario? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Have already booked for this summer. We had decided to go on the Road Scholar circumnavigation of Iceland but the two trips they had for this year were fully booked and so we investigated this trip. Fortunately it had room, and now we are going with another couple. As it turns out, this is the exact trip that Road Scholar is taking, the ship and so forth. All on board lectures are the same and all inclusions. We are going to have to book separate excursions however, but they are all very similar to the RS ones. Even if we take all the ones available that we have any interest in, in addition to our 3 days in Reykjavik before hand and renting a car, travel, meals in R we are still saving money over the RS rates, AND we are able to go when we want -- this year not next. Have been in contact with the booking agent and have information about it all.

When we get back in mid June I will post comments and take inquiries if you are interested in more details.

My wife, son and I just booked an 11-day "On the Trail of the Vikings" cruise on Iceland Pro Cruises for August 6-16 2015 visiting Iceland and Greenland. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who will be taking the same voyage or another Iceland Pro Cruise itinerary.

Iceland Pro Cruises appears to be a new line using the SS Ocean Diamond, which I've read is used by Quark at other times of the year. There's not a lot of information about Iceland Pro Cruises online, so I'd like to hear from other cruisers planning trips on the line, to share future info, e.g., what is their tipping policy, what boots are advised for the zodiacs, can I bring alcohol on board (I usually buy some at KEF airport on the way since they have a duty free shop, less all the Icelandic taxes, for incoming passengers).

This is our 3rd family trip to Iceland; our first visit to Greenland; and our first cruise of the region. Iceland is a beautiful and peaceful place. The pricing for this cruise ended up being much more reasonable than what we would have paid for a similar itinerary on another line, perhaps owing to this being the line's first season. So we're very excited about the trip and hoping that we got a good bargain.

P.s. We managed to find n/s flights from the East Coast of the US to Reykjavik (KEF) for a little over $400 pp in August. A new Icelandic airline called wowair.com is running some real bargains.

I just posted but wanted to add a note to your questions: I emailed my booking agent and she said no alcohol allowed (just like all cruise lines) -- maybe you can 'smuggle' some on board. we like a drink in our cabin when getting ready for dinner or before we go to bed. No wine either. HAL lets you bring 2 bottles of wine on at least. There is a packing list of what you should bring on the Road Scholar (roadscholar.org) site -- click on europe, iceland, circumnavigation, and look for packing list or suggested reading materials, so forth. No washing machine/dryer, but laundry service available for hire; supplies shampoo/cond/soap/lotion in bathrooms (I bring most of my own things, but if you are not particular, don't bother.) Don't know about tipping -- since it is an European line, and tipping is not common there, it may not be necessary, but I will ask and let you know. We are going in June. Will post when we return.

Have already booked for this summer. We had decided to go on the Road Scholar circumnavigation of Iceland but the two trips they had for this year were fully booked and so we investigated this trip. Fortunately it had room, and now we are going with another couple. As it turns out, this is the exact trip that Road Scholar is taking, the ship and so forth. All on board lectures are the same and all inclusions. We are going to have to book separate excursions however, but they are all very similar to the RS ones. Even if we take all the ones available that we have any interest in, in addition to our 3 days in Reykjavik before hand and renting a car, travel, meals in R we are still saving money over the RS rates, AND we are able to go when we want -- this year not next. Have been in contact with the booking agent and have information about it all.

When we get back in mid June I will post comments and take inquiries if you are interested in more details.

Hi Chennai,

Thanks for your response. I look forward to reading your comments following your June cruise with IPC.

After I first posted above, I subsequently came across IPC's terms and conditions, and I did see where they had added provisions relating to bringing alcohol on board, etc.

My family is just returning from another cruise, so we're just beginning to think about our upcoming IPC itinerary. This will be our third trip to Iceland in the past four years, so it will be interesting to see how the cruise experience compares with the land experience there.

Much of IPC's publicity seems to be directed towards the European market in general and the German-speaking market in particular. So, I expect the passengers mix to reflect that mix.

I have some limited familiarity with IPC's parent company, Iceland Pro Tours, having visited one of their fishing 'camps' in the Westfjords in 2013. Otherwise, IPC is an unknown quantity to me.

That being said, a reporter from USA Today, at my urging, looked into the line, and he felt confident enough about their bona fides to publish a short article about IPC earlier this month.

In general, my experience with all Icelandic tourist accommodations in the past has been that they are clean and otherwise adequate, although certainly not luxurious. Instead of luxury, you get the singular beauty of the country and the tremendous hospitality of the people. I anticipate that IPC will check off those two boxes as well.

I just posted but wanted to add a note to your questions: I emailed my booking agent and she said no alcohol allowed (just like all cruise lines) -- maybe you can 'smuggle' some on board. we like a drink in our cabin when getting ready for dinner or before we go to bed. No wine either. HAL lets you bring 2 bottles of wine on at least. There is a packing list of what you should bring on the Road Scholar (roadscholar.org) site -- click on europe, iceland, circumnavigation, and look for packing list or suggested reading materials, so forth. No washing machine/dryer, but laundry service available for hire; supplies shampoo/cond/soap/lotion in bathrooms (I bring most of my own things, but if you are not particular, don't bother.) Don't know about tipping -- since it is an European line, and tipping is not common there, it may not be necessary, but I will ask and let you know. We are going in June. Will post when we return.

For your wine, perhaps you already know this, but the best place in Iceland for a tourist to purchase wine/beer/alcohol is at the airport. Keflavik airport has one of the only INBOUND duty-free liquor stores in the world, and you can purchase your beverages there at a significant discount over what you will pay in the Icelandic state-run liquor stores (which have a monopoly and limited hours).

Edited by Seanster

For your wine, perhaps you already know this, but the best place in Iceland for a tourist to purchase wine/beer/alcohol is at the airport. Keflavik airport has one of the only INBOUND duty-free liquor stores in the world, and you can purchase your beverages there at a significant discount over what you will pay in the Icelandic state-run liquor stores (which have a monopoly and limited hours).

Thanks for the information. I will surely buy some liquor upon arrival. We are very excited about this trip. If you learn anything of interest, let me know. and I will write after our trip is concluded.

• 3 weeks later...

Just booked a 2016 Greenland Ocean Diamond ship through Iceland Pro Cruises. Looking forward to any reviews from 2015 cruisers. Definitely nervous about the small company aspect of this cruise line so will definitely be taking travel insurance right at time of deposit.

I will definitely post a review after we return in mid June. The cruise line is well regarded. Road Scholar uses it for their tour (2 this year). We had thought about going on the Road Scholar tour, but no availability, so were surprised and delighted that the trip we have booked is the exact same one that they are using (at the same time, too). We save a big chunk of money on booking separately, but then have to pay for excursions, our stay in Reykjavik, and airport transport, and so forth, so won't be saving anything overly much. But i prefer more independent travel, and this is a great combination. I have read two travel guides, the DK Top 10 Iceland (eyewitness travel series, always a good bet), and the Bradt Iceland, excellent for real information about pricing, where things are, everything you need. Check them out. DK is available for cheap on amazon, kindle version, but I hesitate to buy it as the maps are what makes DK so great if you are driving around independently. and I don't know if they'd be available on kindle in the hintergrounds? Will have to decide. Pam

• 1 month later...

Hi, Chennai. I couldn't find a way to private message you on Cruise Critic. So, I'm posting publicly. Since you're only a few weeks out from your cruise, have you received your sail documents yet? Any additional details from the cruise line? How about a request for payment of the balance due? (The cruise line was pretty informal about that with me. They indicated that they would contact me about "8 weeks" from the sail date. I may just go ahead and make payment now, since the rate won't be changing. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Edited by Seanster

We were dealing with a rep here in the US when we booked the trip, and she has kept us up to date with payments: we paid in full, for the cruise and the expeditions we want to take on the date the final payment was due. Have received confirmation, via email from her. This cruise line is small, and I don't think that it has many resources to deal with the customers. Found out some basic stuff from Evelyn, but had to ask specific questions. You do have to fill out a boarding manifest 2 months before the cruise, and send it by mail to Iceland: information was sent to us with the manifest via email (but you can't fill it in on line and send via email). Road Scholar, which will have a tour on the same tripo, probably has a packing list and other info, but probably not available to outsiders. However, they do have a list of reading materials. I am packing very lightly, but with coat, warm hat, gloves and scarf at the top of the list. Also binoculars! And a swim suit for the blue lagoon visit. Will be glad to get any other suggestions and tips. Keep in touch. Pam

We were dealing with a rep here in the US when we booked the trip, and she has kept us up to date with payments: we paid in full, for the cruise and the expeditions we want to take on the date the final payment was due. Have received confirmation, via email from her. This cruise line is small, and I don't think that it has many resources to deal with the customers. Found out some basic stuff from Evelyn, but had to ask specific questions. You do have to fill out a boarding manifest 2 months before the cruise, and send it by mail to Iceland: information was sent to us with the manifest via email (but you can't fill it in on line and send via email). Road Scholar, which will have a tour on the same tripo, probably has a packing list and other info, but probably not available to outsiders. However, they do have a list of reading materials. I am packing very lightly, but with coat, warm hat, gloves and scarf at the top of the list. Also binoculars! And a swim suit for the blue lagoon visit. Will be glad to get any other suggestions and tips. Keep in touch. Pam

We are booked for the Greenland cruise in 2016 so really looking forward to your trip report. Also experiencing the same "resource" issue you mention and do not get many details. We were unable to secure a cabin number at time of our booking deposit only category guarantee with a cabin number assigned closer to cruise date.

Thank you, Chennai. We are not sailing IPC for several months, so we have some time before our final payment is due. But it's good to know that the process went smoothly for you. In terms of clothing, yes, you'll definitely want to bring gloves and a warm hat. Iceland in mid/late June may feel warm to some Icelanders, but I've always found it cold enough to need my hat and gloves on at least some days.

For Iceland, I generally pack several layers and peel them off as the day progresses. Because this is a cruise, I plan on bringing one or two better items of clothing, but nothing too fancy. The pay luggage allotment on the WowAir flight we're taking out of BWI is pretty meager, to say the least.

We visited the Blue Lagoon the last time we were in Iceland (2013), and it was fine. However, I didn't find it any more interesting than some of the public pools we visited elsewhere in Iceland, which were more economical (like $5.00 pp v $40.00 pp) and often offered geothermal, saunas, etc.

One plus of the Blue Lagoon is that you can plaster your face with lots of silica, which is supposed to be very good for the skin. Lots of tourists. But the buffet is very good and of high quality, especially if you like shrimp and other seafood.

There are lots of great Icelandic novels. Independent People by Laxness is a classic and one of my favorites. Some of the contemporary murder mysteries by Y. Sigurardottir and A. Indridason are also good, light reads and are widely available in the U.S.-- if you're into that sort of thing.

Edited by Seanster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We are back from our circumnavigation cruise of Iceland. Lots of feedback from it is being provided. Some negative, but mostly positive.

Understand that the trip we were on was the first sailing of this company in Iceland. They had done a practice run with some travel agents and others, but not a commercial run per se. So, there were a number of issues that they were working on that had not fully been fixed. A work in progress, so to speak, so by the time you sail many of the problems may have been rectified. For example, the swimming pool was not in use (it was cold outside, but they don't heat it at all, so will always be cold, if they can use it at all), and no sauna available. the exercise room is minimal (but you will get enough exercise on the land tours). Since it is so new, there was a problem with the organization of things: often there was lots of confusion. But even so, they were very anxious to get it right, and were really helpful and desirous of making it right.

Will start with the positives: we all thought that this is the only way to see Iceland, especially if you are elderly, like the 4 of us are. no unpacking and tedious driving through vast wildernesses and fending for ourselves. And the beauty of the coastline and islands and fiords is always visible. We docked in the ports right in the heart of the towns, and took the optional tours in each port. We had rented a car at the airport and spent 3 days around Reykjavik before boarding the ship. One of those days was driving the Golden Circle. Although the driving was easy, it was nice to be able to be a passenger in a van or bus that had big windows so I could gawk at the scenery without worrying about the road. However, being in a bus for 10 days as the only way to see the country would have been awful, so the ship was a perfect compromise. We would recommend this trip to anyone without hesitation.

Now for the negatives. There are a lot of minor negatives but if you are aware of them before you travel, it will lower your expectations enough so you will actually have a better trip.

Ocean Diamond is an old ship, recently purchased by a new company. It is not at all luxurious. In fact, it is badly in need of an overhaul. To start with: the rooms are clean but dowdy. The mattresses are awful, and I have a bad back, and the beds made it very uncomfortable to sleep. They are very narrow and poor support and lumpy. Cheap pillows too. BTW: I am a bed nut, having a great bed and expensive pillows, down comforters etc at home, so am probably overly critical. There is lots of storage space in the rooms. Carpet is gross -- seams are coming apart and there were some loose screws along the edges, but seemed to be clean enough. Just wear slippers! Bathroom is fine, small and sufficient but again, minimally comfortable.There is a hair dryer, but it is the old wall unit kind that barely blows air, so it is inefficient. Heating is a problem -- the thermostat doesn't work properly. It was first freezing cold where the ceiling unit poured cold air, but the wall side was too warm. Poor circulation. Otherwise the rooms were okay: didn't spend much time in them anyway. They are re-doing the rooms, one at a time, so maybe by the time you sail your room may be better. Also, the PA system did not work in our room -- it did in some other rooms. The PA system was a problem throughout the ship, and they were working on it to try to fix it.

Food: occasionally very good, often mediocre or just fine. No complaints. Just don't expect too much. The wait staff was still learning the ropes and inefficiency was common, but it would be hard to say anything but positives about them as they were eager to serve, make things perfect, accommodate your needs. So very friendly and pleasant -- made up for any problems.

Dining rooms: The main dining room on the 3rd floor is dark and unpleasant. Breakfast and lunch are served there, (buffet style but with made to order eggs in the morning, and they do serve you drinks, soup, and will fetch anything you want, so not entirely cafeteria like). Dinner is also there, but it is a la carte (menu). I found the room to be too tightly packed (and we only had 130 passengers out of a possible 240), and the windows are tiny, can't see out, and no natural light in it. I really disliked the dining room. However, for dinner, there is another dining option: on the 4th floor is a small, light filled room with large windows that we ate at almost every night. Takes a bit longer as the food has to come from downstairs, but it is worth it if you want a more pleasant dining environment. Since it is so small (holds maybe 36 people) it is necessary to get there just before it opens to assure you get a table. Many of the passengers do not know it is available -- I thought it was only for groups the first day, but asked and it is open to all (or was on our voyage.)

Tours: all of the tours we took were great. There were variations necessary b/c of weather (it was exceptionally cold on this trip) but there was good value for all of them.)

On board lectures: this was a problem that they must resolve. It is promised there will be naturalists on board. Maybe our expectations were too high, but most of the passengers were disappointed with the quality of and scarcity of lectures. The last 2 days, Pieter gave 2 lectures about birds and geology, but even though they were pretty good, they were not sufficiently informative and they were very late -- it would have been more useful if they were done early on. On another point: each evening there was a 'recap'. This was basically useless and annoying. the proportion of English to German speakers was 30% (at most) English. The 45-60 minute recaps were done in German, then English, with the German about 2/3 longer, and it is irritating to sit through it. We requested numerous times that they run two separate talks, one for each language, but that did not happen. Hopefully it will in subsequent trips. On the positive, though, the bus tours had separate English and German buses, so this was not a factor on the tours.

Can't think of any more to add. Hope this is helpful. Our overall impression is that we are very very glad we took this trip, so even though it seems like a lot of nattering, it is truly a good experience. It is quite a costly trip, though, and thus we expected a higher degree of professionalism, but I think it will evolve over the summer and become a better trip in the future. Go with a lot of patience and good humor, only middling expectations, and you will enjoy it. The best part is Iceland itself!

Thanks for the detailed review. We are on the Ocean Diamond in 2016 so hopefully the flaws that you went through will work themselves out. Curious if this cruise line actually bought the Ocean Diamond or are just leasing it as is typical in many exploration ship companies. If they actually bought it then one can expect many improvements to maintain and improve, not only the ship, but the company's reputation. What company wants a reputation of "awful mattresses"? Looking forward to reading what others will be experiencing.

By the way, did you have a higher/lower cabin floor? On these expedition ships, I realize that cabin floor and mid-ship location can make a big difference in rougher seas.

Edited by Oren

Thanks for the detailed review. We are on the Ocean Diamond in 2016 so hopefully the flaws that you went through will work themselves out. Curious if this cruise line actually bought the Ocean Diamond or are just leasing it as is typical in many exploration ship companies. If they actually bought it then one can expect many improvements to maintain and improve, not only the ship, but the company's reputation. What company wants a reputation of "awful mattresses"? Looking forward to reading what others will be experiencing.

By the way, did you have a higher/lower cabin floor? On these expedition ships, I realize that cabin floor and mid-ship location can make a big difference in rougher seas.

Hi:

We had a cabin on the 4th floor, and near the center of the ship. There was a lot !!! of rattling, creaking, thumping and banging at night when we were in rough seas, even the crew commenting on it (and the captain). But can't control rough seas :) Heard that there was a new owner for the company (ProCruises), but that the ship was leased.

Hi Chennai, thank you for your wonderful and thorough review. Congratulations on writing what I believe to be the first English-language review of this new cruise line available anywhere on the Internet.

Your review comports with what I would expect of this line, given that it's brand new and using an older ship that sails expedition itineraries (Antarctic, etc.). In the future, I hope that they do more than two lectures per cruise -- that's very meager, to say the least!

As we are traveling with IPC in a little over a month from now, a few questions that I'm hoping you can answer:

(1) How stable is the ship? Was there a lot of rock/roll/seasickness?

(2) IPC advertises free zodiac excursions at some stops. Did you see any passengers actually take them and, if so, were they enjoyed?

(3) Among the food that you liked, what dishes would you recommend?

(4) What are the price ranges for drinks (beer/wine/cocktails), if you know?

(5) How did you spend your time in the evenings? Did they have any group activities? Or did folks simply retire early to their cabins?

(6) Dress code: The website suggests very casual. Did folks follow the code, or did they dress up a little more in the dining room, etc. In other words, is dinner more nice slacks and a sweaters for men, or more hiking boats and cargo pants? For women?

Thanks in advance for your responses and welcome home!

John

Edited by Seanster