X Caret or Xel Ha

cole'snana

I've been to Xcaret, but not XelHa. However, we are doing a land vacation next summer to Playa Del Carmen, and I'm doing my own investigation on this very question. I may end up doing both.

But, if I had to pick one - it would be Xcaret for sure! Much more to do and see there. Xel Ha is more of a acquatic theme. Xcaret has other attractions. Besides, if you are taking the ferry from Cozumel, Xcaret is a lot closer - giving you more time at Xcaret. Xel Ha is down near Tulum in the south.

but, do what I did.. check out both of their websites. They are expertly done!

Has anyone been to both X Caret or Xel Ha? Which did you prefer and why?

Like choosing to go to World Showcase at DisneyWorld or Euro Disney or actually going to Rome. How about choice C, the real thing -- real Yucatan Maya culture, a real cenote to swim in, a real Maya canal to float, wild turtles to snorkle with---instead of a theme park imitation?

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Like choosing to go to World Showcase at DisneyWorld or Euro Disney or actually going to Rome. How about choice C, the real thing -- real Yucatan Maya culture, a real cenote to swim in, a real Maya canal to float, wild turtles to snorkle with---instead of a theme park imitation?

That sounds great - do you know where we can do these things?

I have been to both several times. Xel-Ha is great for a day of snorkeling. However, if you want to snorkel then go to Akumal Bay. It would be a lot cheaper. You could take the collective from PDC. I love the night show at XCaret. I think is a must see attraction.

That sounds great - do you know where we can do these things?

Here are a few suggestions:

Real culture = Sunday night folk dancing in Valladolid or Merida, for one example; local festivals in Tulum, for another; anywhere you can meet and talk to local Maya people (in the pueblo nearest to where you are, the caretaker of a less touristy cenote, the tamale vendor on the corner, etc)

Real cenote = all over the Yucatan peninsula, all the fresh water is underground and the rock above is porous and often caves in to form a cenote

Real wild turtles = huge ones, and rays too, in Akumal

Real Maya canal to float = Sian Ka'an biosphere, also has manatees, birds, Maya buildings, deserted beaches, cenotes, lots of history

An alternative is to book a tour through someone like:http://www.alltournative.com/

Here's a list of various tours, etc. from TripAdvisor http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g659488-Activities-c25-Riviera_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Cheers, P:)

Well, a compact rental car from Easyway is probably about $40 per day (all insurance included, but not gas) and driving is not difficult (but it is a couple of hours each way) vs. $140 per person for the EkBalam/cenote tour. It's your math to do.

Yes, you are trying to scare people, unnecessarily. If you read the details, that was an extreme case. By that token, you would never fly because you could end up in a fiery crash. catch Ebola, etc. Or never go on a cruise because it could be the next Costa Concordia or the next for someone to die from some disease on board.

Just want to make folks aware.

He was at fault, broadsiding two people on a motorcycle with his much larger jeep vehicle, at sufficient speed to send them flying, apparently.

(Also the story as told seems more like an advertisement for his religious beliefs, converting the hard core Mexican criminal, blah, blah, blah...)

Has anyone been to both X Caret or Xel Ha? Which did you prefer and why?

We have been to both and while they both offer a beautiful and lush tropical atmosphere, I would say that if I had to choose which one I liked better, I would choose Xcaret.

It has been quite a few years since we visited Xel-Ha and at that time it was basically a snorkeling spot. In looking over their website now, it looks like they have added more attractions including swimming with dolphins, Snuba, rope swings and climbs. In either event Xel-Ha is considered to be the "world's largest aquarium".

Based on our experiences, Xcaret had more to offer, including swimming through the underground tunnels to the beach, dolphin encounters, snorkeling, marine life, animals, shows, a Mayan village, floating down the river on a raft and even some Mayan ruins!

I'm sure you would have an enjoyable time at either one.