Walking tour of Roseau?

newlaxfan

We've been in Dominica several times and never felt unsafe.

Not much to see but easy to walk around town on your own.

The Ft. Young Hotel is interesting. Actually was a real fort.

Still have cannons, etc. in place.

They have a nice bar/restaurant area. Many business locals have lunch there. :)

Maybe in the daylight and you are fit and do not look like an easy [emoji457].

Be careful where you wander.

Is a very poor Island with high unemployment. Would suggest a organized tour, ship or private.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've found a guided walking tour through SHAPE (Society for Heritage Architecture Preservation & Enhancement)! It's $15 US per person for a 90 minute tour. On Wed Jan 4, she's able to do a tour at 10:30 am. Anyone else interested in joining us that day?

• 5 weeks later...
Only island I have ever been on and felt unsafe

Sent from my iPhone using the Forums

I had quite the opposite experience. I spent a few hours just moseying about Roseau. It is my favorite city in the Caribbean because no one seemed to have any interest in me as a tourist. There were very few places selling tourist trinkets. I thought it was a very vibrant and interesting commercial hub. A totally different scale and pace than NY or Miami but a really culturally rich town. I chatted with locals, had a bite of curried goat, took a couple hundred pictures and bought a bottle of Havana Club rum for half the price they were getting in Aruba. I was a fifty something white guy, all by myself and never once felt threatened or unsafe.

• 3 weeks later...

DW and I were there a year ago and like MrSchwump thoroughly enjoyed our port stop in Roseau. We left the ship and arranged a beach excursion by bus with one of the locals. Easy peasey. When we returned we wandered through the port area. The port area was fairly new then. It never crossed our minds to be concerned for our safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
Wherever we walked we were followed and hounded to buy drugs. On our tour bus, wherever it stopped, they came running over for the same thing. It was almost as bad as the beaches of Acapulco .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow!! After having been there 6 times on a ship and stayed over 20 nights (in 2 trips - once over Carnival) on this amazing island, and I nor my husband have ever been offered drugs once. We must look like total prudes or we look like we know where to find what we are looking for. To be honest, we tend to get out of the city except to eat (Perky's Pizza is the best pizza I have ever had - how the Pizza Hut survives I will never understand) and shop. It is called the Nature Island for a reason - it is so astoundingly rugged and beautiful. Some day, I do want to go into the cathedrals; maybe the next time we fly in.

Is the island poor, yes. Do you need to be aware as you do anywhere in the world, yes. Have I ever felt unsafe in Roseau? Never. The buildings need some paint, but when you take into account the horrible storms that pummel this little island nation, and the lack of funds to do the less than absolutely necessary repairs, the city looks pretty good - the bones of the buildings are amazing. Looks and feels like home every time we step foot on land.