Bikes

larry_s_taco

I posted this question on my roll call board, then realized it is probably more appropriate for this forum. I'm thinking about renting a bike in Bermuda to ride the old railroad trail. Has anyone done this, and if so what pointers do you have for me?

Thanks,

I posted this question on my roll call board, then realized it is probably more appropriate for this forum. I'm thinking about renting a bike in Bermuda to ride the old railroad trail. Has anyone done this, and if so what pointers do you have for me?

Thanks,

I did it a few years ago - Oleander Cycles - one of the larger scooter places also used to rent bicycles. The part nearest Docktyard (west end) running to about the middle of the island is pretty wide and good for bicycling. All the way east towards St. George it gets much narrower and rougher -- but that would likely be a longer haul than you might want anyway.

Good info. We are kind of adventurous, so we may go all the way to St George, depending on time/temperature/ect... How long do you think it would take to bike all the way to St George and back?

Thanks

I did it a few years ago - Oleander Cycles - one of the larger scooter places also used to rent bicycles. The part nearest Docktyard (west end) running to about the middle of the island is pretty wide and good for bicycling. All the way east towards St. George it gets much narrower and rougher -- but that would likely be a longer haul than you might want anyway.
Edited by larry_s_taco
Typo

Good info. We are kind of adventurous, so we may go all the way to St George, depending on time/temperature/ect... How long do you think it would take to bike all the way to St George and back?

Thanks

It is about 22 miles by road from the Dockyard to St. George's. Takes about an hour one way by car. Could walk it one way in eight hours. I don't think you will be pedaling fast on the trail. The railroad trail is not continuous so you would have to be on roads too. Not for the faint of heart in Bermuda. Many roads have no shoulders. Pedal bikes are not common. It probably would take all day to bike there and back.

What month are you going to be in Bermuda?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

We embark on Sept 3rd. This was the timing of our last Bermuda cruise. On that trip we were unfortunately on Bermuda on Labor Day, so most of the shops were closed for the one day. We didn't realize that Bermuda's Labor Day fell on the same day as the USA's.

It is about 22 miles by road from the Dockyard to St. George's. Takes about an hour one way by car. Could walk it one way in eight hours. I don't think you will be pedaling fast on the trail. The railroad trail is not continuous so you would have to be on roads too. Not for the faint of heart in Bermuda. Many roads have no shoulders. Pedal bikes are not common. It probably would take all day to bike there and back.

What month are you going to be in Bermuda?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk