Any experience of Wendy Wu and Intrepid Tours?

NorbertsNiece

Hmmm interesting combination - both tour company's are well regarded but provide very different experiences.

I have travelled with Intrepid multiple times (Mongolia, Peru, Morocco, India, SE Asia) and have had wonderful times on every trip. They tend to focus more on grass roots travel and real life experiences - accommodation is clean but basic, local transport is used (public buses, trains etc) and only some meals are included but the groups tend to eat together most of the time. Check to see if your TA has booked you into a "comfort" or "original" style trip - comfort has slightly nicer hotels and the odd private minibus whereas original is more what I described above. Basix tours stay in 2 star accommodation and have very little inclusions - your leader will tell you how to visit sites but not accompany or guide you like in original or comfort tours.

Wendy Wu is more of an inclusive experience with more luxurious accommodation, private transport and all meals included. You will likely have a leader (from Australia) plus a local guide and be accompanied at all times. Compared to Intrepid, Wendy Wu offer a more "sheltered" experience where you will see all the main sights but it is unlikely you will get the same exposure to the way of life for the locals as you will get with Intrepid.

So has your TA recommended the right tours for you?? Depends on what type of traveller you are. It's highly likely that they have selected the tours based on travel dates and budget. You need to consider your travel style and work out what fits best. For me, I like Intrepid because they really explore the local way of life, not just shuttle you from hotel to tourist sight to tourist restaurant and back to hotel again. Having said that, the older I get the more comfort I want so my next tour will be with Peregrine (owned by Intrepid but offering a higher standard of accommodation and more private transportation).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kia ora.

I finally received documentation this morning and everything appears to be Wendy Wu..... not sure why the TA mentioned Intrepid.

Paperwork looks very efficient and I've called them with a question and they were very helpful. New part of the world for me..... nervous excitement building....

Linda