Shopping in Istanbul

I too have one that is dual voltage. Have used it all over as Cynthia has.

Even on our recent trip to Egypt which has different voltage than Europe. Not sure what voltage Turkey has....may be different than France. I would buy one here that adapts to all ........ mine wasnt even that expensive.

I have a dual voltage flat-iron, and my friend travels with her dual voltage curling iron and hair dryer. They are small, lightweight, and easily packable, and all can be ordered online through Amazon. Usually camera chargers and cell-phone/computer chargers are dual voltage as well, but check before you go. All you need is the simple plug adaptor(s) for any countries you are visiting. I just purchased one for my upcoming cruise that ends in Istanbul. Turkey seems to use the same adaptor as France and most of the rest of Europe, but those adaptors are available online as well. (We start in Rome and Italy is different, so I needed another adaptor. Ugh.)

Good morning,

I did see adapters on Magellen. Turkey and France the same. I have to re-check. May I ask where you purchased dual-voltage hair curlers? I have the Gold one, which has many heat numbers. Don't know if that is the same as dual-voltage. Originally tried to purchase a cordless travel iron but Conair stopped making them. They have Thermocell which is butane and we all know that won't fly! (pun intended) My last resort is to take along a few prickly rollers so I will at least look presentable. I will go back on Magellen and check it out.

Thanks for all the info. I just love this site.

texancruzer, I think we were on same roll call back in 2007 and we both went to the Med instead , Nov 18.

cruisemom42, weren't you on my roll call for that same date to the Med? We had great weather for that trip.

Good morning,

I did see adapters on Magellen. Turkey and France the same. I have to re-check. May I ask where you purchased dual-voltage hair curlers? I have the Gold one, which has many heat numbers. Don't know if that is the same as dual-voltage. Originally tried to purchase a cordless travel iron but Conair stopped making them. They have Thermocell which is butane and we all know that won't fly! (pun intended) My last resort is to take along a few prickly rollers so I will at least look presentable. I will go back on Magellen and check it out.

texancruzer, I think we were on same roll call back in 2007 and we both went to the Med instead , Nov 18.

cruisemom42, weren't you on my roll call for that same date to the Med? We had great weather for that trip.

Believe it or not I got mine at my local grocery store. Think I paid around $20.00. It has 25 heat settings and a seperate little switch for 120 volt or 250 volt. That pretty much means it will work anywhere in that range. Europe is 220 I believe.

Also purchased a converter kit. It was in the $ 35-40. range. It includes all the adapters needed for just about anywhere. Got that at Radio Shack. Havent ever used the converter......just the adapters. But I have it just in case :)

We did our first Med cruise in November 2007 on Brilliance. We flew into Rome 2 days before Thanksgiving.....had Thanksgiving Dinner in Rome and left on the ship the next day - so perhaps the 26 or 27th ? Was that the cruise you were on? We definately had great weather !

Good morning,

Entering "dual voltage curling iron" in Amazon's search box gave me:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_25?p_76=&pct-off=&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dual+voltage+curling+iron&tag=pfd-sf-us-20&sprefix=dual+voltage+curling+iron

All you need then is a simple plug converter (NOT a transformer). Entering that in amazon's search box:

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1294766050/ref=a9_sc_1?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=plug%20converter

Many curling irons now do not even require the switch; they will automatically detect and adjust to the proper current.

When purchasing just look for wording that says "dual voltage". If you want to check the appliance you already have, there should be some wording stamped on the body of the curling iron (usually near the cord) that lists the approved range. (You may have to get out a magnifying glass, lol.) If it says something like "120-240V" you are good to go; you only need the adaptor plug.

No voltage on my "Hot ones" irons. I'll be on the lookout for a dual voltage and adapter.

Didn't want to spend fortune on this. My TA owner bought an iron in Istanbul for about $12. She only takes it to Europe.

texancruzer, I was on the Millenium that November 18 - Dec. 2 We did a few ports with your ship, like Villefranche. great cruise.

ab0si and all, thanks for input. It is well appreciated. I suppose if I were born with curly hair I would be straightening it!!!

No voltage on my "Hot ones" irons. I'll be on the lookout for a dual voltage and adapter.

Didn't want to spend fortune on this. My TA owner bought an iron in Istanbul for about $12. She only takes it to Europe.

texancruzer, I was on the Millenium that November 18 - Dec. 2 We did a few ports with your ship, like Villefranche. great cruise.

ab0si and all, thanks for input. It is well appreciated. I suppose if I were born with curly hair I would be straightening it!!!

No need to spend a fortune!

I have this one (slightly older model):

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp84105/conair/satin_finish_ceramic_curling_iron_1_14_model_cd102tcs.htm?fromsrch=curling+irons

I paid about $20 for it locally. It's dual voltage, ceramic (easier on your hair), and what I really like about it is that it comes with a cover that you slip over the barrel, so you can pack it while it is still warm.

I've had it for around 4 years and it works great on either 120 or 220 voltage.

Cruisemom42

Just got an e-mail today from Drugstore.com offering me a 15 percent discount until tomorrow. Couldn't have been better timing as I ordered the Conair iron. I will get the adapter from Magellen. I know it's way too early to be doing this but now I can relax! lol

Thanks, what great help for these minor problems.

Adapter kits are very cheap if you order them online. If you are only going to be on the European continent you can also simply buy the standard European adaptor (it has two round prongs) for about $4 on line. This is all you need with the duel voltage appliances.

Hank

Archived