17 Killed in Terrorist Attack at Tunesia including possibly including Costa pax

Trekker954

I can understand some people's reservations about visiting, but Tunis will actually be one of the safest places to visit now, the terrorists have been and gone and will choose somewhere else for their next atrocity, and the authorities, desperate to keep the tourists coming, will up security.

Staying away from Tunisia will not only harm its economy, but also empower these killers even more. The way you defeat them is to go straight back in and show them you will not be cowed, and that freedom does not live in fear.

Rip to the deceased and condolences to their families

I can understand some people's reservations about visiting, but Tunis will actually be one of the safest places to visit now, the terrorists have been and gone and will choose somewhere else for their next atrocity, and the authorities, desperate to keep the tourists coming, will up security.
Security will certainly be increased, but as we know this type of terrorist attack is difficult to predict and prevent. And "the terrorists" are not a single group that sticks together so that we can track their movements as a mass and say that "they" have now left Tunisia for their next target. It's a swarm of radical elements acting mostly on their own within a loose organization, and they have spread out all over the world. There are still plenty of terrorists in Tunis that are itching to carry out another attack, and if they hadn't thought of the idea of targeting cruise ship passengers before, they certainly have now. Sending MSC and Costa ships "straight back in" one week later just to make a point about freedom and refusing to live in fear would have been inconceivably irresponsible in this context.

Of course this is a terrible blow to Tunisian tourism and I admire people who continue to travel there, conscious of the risks. But if someone wants to cancel their plans, the last thing I would tell them is that they are empowering the terrorists.

Thanks for the intelligent and reasoned responses to my questions.

I think most thinking adults in the non-muslim world who enjoy extensive travel have had to continually do risk analysis when they make their plans.

I visited Sidi Bousaid (Tunis)off an MSC cruise in May 05, and felt about as endangered there as I would have in Disneyland, which it greatly reminded me of.

I killed a trip to Manila and sadly Ankor Wat because of some terrorist explosions in Manilla and a travel agent, who was himself a fearless traveler and former Navy Seal, who told me HE wouldn't consider such a trip at that particular point in time.

I have always wanted to visit the Pyramids, but the idea of traveling in an armed convoy has lost most of its appeal. Bethlehem, another spot I had wanted to visit is likewise right OFF my "bucket list".

Your buddy was not the OP, "Trekker954" was.

Have you offered any condolence message on this forum? NO. I have, because for I feel for the injured passengers and familes who have lost loved ones.

Do you know or ever sailed with Costa? NO. I know Costa well and have cruised with the many times and am here to help members with questions relating to Costa.

Your buddy trivialise themselves with such answers showing that they slpt through geography lessons. I offered criticismand opinion all in one.

LOL so now you go after me.....how the heck did you go from geography lessons to cruising on Costa? Give it up! Take my opinion of your comments like a.......

LOL so now you go after me.....how the heck did you go from geography lessons to cruising on Costa? Give it up! Take my opinion of your comments like a.......

I never give anything up, I stayed awake during geography and navigation lessons at the naval academy.

I will take nothing from you not even your worthless opinions...