Dress Code on Celebrity Eclipse

Palcharlie

Due to go on first cruise on Eclipse in October, having never cruised before want to enjoy all aspects of cruising but am a little concerned about not feeling under dressed on formal dining nights as I do not have a tux. will i be in the minority or majority dressed in a dark lounge suit ?

Hi, am set to go on the Eclipse in Jan 2011 -- but have sailed on Solstice the sister ship and several others. Not to worry about not having a tux -- a dark suit is also fine. Only a few long dresses will be seen -- but cocktail dresses for women are appropriate. You may also see people who are more casually dressed on formal night but they are in the minority. Other than formal night, other clothes you would wear out to dinner are fine -- no jackets and ties are necessary (except for formal night). Most nights are "smart casual" which for my husband usually means a cuban type shirt outside the slacks or tropical silk type shirt outside slacks & no jacket. ENJOY.

Due to go on first cruise on Eclipse in October, having never cruised before want to enjoy all aspects of cruising but am a little concerned about not feeling under dressed on formal dining nights as I do not have a tux. will i be in the minority or majority dressed in a dark lounge suit ?

We were on the sister ship, Equinox in May for a Med. cruise and the vast majority of men wore a dark suit...not sure what a lounge suit is :) but assume it is the normal dressed up suit men wear with a tie?

If so, you're good to go! No worry. You'll be in the majority and will look just fine. Also agree with previous poster....cocktail-type dress is good....very few true long formal gowns, but you can wear 'em if you can get them in your suitcase!

We always cruise out of Southampton and you will find that because there are no luggage restrictions pax dress up a little bit more than on a fly cruise. You certainly won't feel out of place in a dark suit but I would say the majority will be wearing a tux. Again with the ladies formal nights tend to be long dresses with cocktail dresses saved for semi formal or even casual.

:cool:Sorry I have to disagree with with Swangirl, we were on Eclipse 1st June and the majority of men were in dark suits on Formal nights and there were very few ladies in long dresses. I am more comfortable is trousers and wore chiffon type trousers with glittery tops on Formal nights and still felt 'dressed up' so go with what suits you.

The Eclipse sailing on May 21 had a majority of male passengers in tuxes and women dressed very formally. We were debating whether it was due to the lack of luggage restrictions for the majority of the passengers, the more culturally formal British passengers (than Americans) or whether it was the age demographics of the passengers. We were told that of the 2800 passengers more than 2000 were over 55 and a larger than usual percentage of them were over 70.

Re: Formal nites- Majority of men wore dark suits. Few long gowns on the ladies. Everyone looked great.

My group followed the smart casual code for nonformal evenings and were comfortable doing so. However, I did notice that on smart casual nites many guests' dress was only a bit below formal nite.

We are also on Eclipse in October, DH will have his kilt or Dark lounge suit, one son will have his £49.50 M&S tuxedo! and other will wear his kilt. According to one thread here a few weeks ago a formal Prince Charlie kilt outfit is not considered formal wear - well tough, it works for us. You will not be out of place in a dark suit, you will see a variety of clothing worn.

We were on one of the inaugural Eclipse mini cruises and there was a huge variety. One woman wore a different formal long evening gown each night, a bit overkill methinks.

Most nights are "smart casual" which for my husband usually means a cuban type shirt outside the slacks or tropical silk type shirt outside slacks & no jacket.

I really like this idea for smart casual for men!

Lisa

The Eclipse sailing on May 21 had a majority of male passengers in tuxes and women dressed very formally. We were debating whether it was due to the lack of luggage restrictions for the majority of the passengers, the more culturally formal British passengers (than Americans) or whether it was the age demographics of the passengers. We were told that of the 2800 passengers more than 2000 were over 55 and a larger than usual percentage of them were over 70.

We were on the May 7th Eclipse Baltic and the majority of men were in dark suits and not tuxes, even though I would say that 60% of the passengers were Brits. Our daughter wore a long prom type gown but she was in the minority. Lots of sparkly tops with black pants for women. Lots of saris and kimonos due to the diversity of the passengers.

We were on the May 7th Eclipse Baltic and the majority of men were in dark suits and not tuxes, even though I would say that 60% of the passengers were Brits. Our daughter wore a long prom type gown but she was in the minority. Lots of sparkly tops with black pants for women. Lots of saris and kimonos due to the diversity of the passengers.

It's so interesting to me how varied things can be from one cruise to another. My husband and sons normally bring tuxes but this time, due to luggage constraints, decided not to do so. They looked great in their suits and certainly were not out of place, but were definitely in the minority. I wore sparkly cocktail dress one evening and a black lace the other and was on the more casual side in the lace dress. We usually sail Celebrity and were all quite surprised that so many passengers were dressed to the nines! :)

Our passenger makeup was more heavily British than yours. Possibly it was our itinerary--Canary Islands.

It's so interesting to me how varied things can be from one cruise to another. My husband and sons normally bring tuxes but this time, due to luggage constraints, decided not to do so. They looked great in their suits and certainly were not out of place, but were definitely in the minority. I wore sparkly cocktail dress one evening and a black lace the other and was on the more casual side in the lace dress. We usually sail Celebrity and were all quite surprised that so many passengers were dressed to the nines! :)

Our passenger makeup was more heavily British than yours. Possibly it was our itinerary--Canary Islands.

We had some large groups of Pakistanis and Indians and people from Japan. Also a lot of Aussies. We were right next to a large contingent of very delightful Aussies. Maybe it was due to the itinerary and luggage restrictions as some of the Aussies we spoke with were spending time in Europe after the cruise due to the distance they traveled and were going to be away from home for quite a while. The Canaries are popular with the Brits (we have visited there on several transtatlantics) probably morethan the Baltic (they seek the sun) so maybe the different demographics/itineraries had something to do with it. Our daughter said she felt overdressed in her gowns, but it was a good reason to wear them again.

Archived