Crystal Caves Info/Advice

cot427

I am looking into going to Crystal Caves in May on the Anthem. I noticed that the cruise line is not offering an excursion for this, so if I wanted to go I'd have to go myself.

I'm not a huge fan of traveling around Bermuda by bus, so taxi/tour would be preferred.

Do some offer private tours or is a taxi the best way?

Once I am done there, I read there is a beach close. How close is it? I am traveling with my grandma, who is upper 70s and she can get around very well, however I do not want the walk to be too far.

Thanks in advance!

You could take a taxi to the Caves then ask to picked up later

I would not recommend it for people that cannot walk far but if it was just you going into the caves it would be fine

cannot help with the beach

an option is to find a few people to share the trip to the caves on your roll call

I believe the taxis can carry 4 or up to 7 people

Edited by LHT28

I am looking into going to Crystal Caves ....

Once I am done there, I read there is a beach close. How close is it? I am traveling with my grandma, who is upper 70s and she can get around very well, however I do not want the walk to be too far.

The closest beach to the caves would be about 2.6 miles distance between, and the beach is located on a bus route. Since you don't want to use the bus, a taxi is your only option. The beach is

which is located on N. Shore Rd.

You can arrange with the taxi driver to pick you up at SBB after your beaching is done to take you into Hamilton for the ferry ride back to the cruise ship.

The next closest beach would be

about 2.8 miles distant. JSBB is located on South Rd. Again a taxi could get you there and to Hamilton after your beaching is done.

SBtS

I am looking into going to Crystal Caves in May on the Anthem. I noticed that the cruise line is not offering an excursion for this, so if I wanted to go I'd have to go myself.

I'm not a huge fan of traveling around Bermuda by bus, so taxi/tour would be preferred.

Do some offer private tours or is a taxi the best way?

Thanks in advance!

Take a taxi to the caves. I suggest taking a taxi from the caves to Tobacco Bay after doing the caves. You can take a ferry back to the Dockyard or a taxi. The closer beaches that were mentioned, Shelly and John Smiths have no chairs and the toilets are rustic. Since you are going with your grandma I think Tobacco would be better for you. There are places to sit at Tobacco and decent facilities.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
Take a taxi to the caves. I suggest taking a taxi from the caves to Tobacco Bay after doing the caves. You can take a ferry back to the Dockyard or a taxi. The closer beaches that were mentioned, Shelly and John Smiths have no chairs and the toilets are rustic. Since you are going with your grandma I think Tobacco would be better for you. There are places to sit at Tobacco and decent facilities.

I wouldn't take a taxi back from Tobacco Bay to the dockyard. Way too far. I imagine very expensive also. I thought the ferry took a long time.

I wouldn't take a taxi back from Tobacco Bay to the dockyard. Way too far. I imagine very expensive also. I thought the ferry took a long time.

I wouldn't take a taxi either but I am assuming they are taking a taxi to the Caves. Just givng the options. As for expense that would depend on how many are sharing. If a cruise line excursion was offered that they mentioned was not, they would be spending more than the taxi fares. Since her grandma is in her upper 70's even though she can get around according to the other person I think a beach where she can sit either on a lounge chair or on the patio like at Tobacco would be preferable to a beach with no chairs and rudimentary facilities.

Also I don't know if the other person knows that it is 89 steep steps down to the Crystal Caves. But there are chairs there where Grandma can wait if she does not want to join the others in going into the caves.

Edited by Charles4515

Ferry takes about 45 minutes which is probably quicker than a taxi or the bus.

Just rent a scooter, problem solved

I'll bet grandma, in her upper 70's, would just love riding on the pillion.:eek: