Welcome!

LauraS

Senior Citizen? WHO me? I guess I am, ever since I got my cataracts done 4 weeks ago I have been having problems with my eyesight so please bear with me on spelling and grammar. The best cruises Is RCCL, Mariner of the Seas... I will go on soon the Exployer and others been on Princess, its ok, if you like rude waiter at the tables. the Oasis was the best... loved it, Allure just as much fun... took the Junior Suite splurged for bit, balcony next time... I did alot of sleeping during the day stayed up all night with the kids 18-29. I was the only one 60 yrs old dancing with the teens on mumbo italiano... hey mumbo...

well, we love being a senior... discounts? well I got discounts before I was 60. now my kids are 30 and 22, 14 they said that mom and dad are old... i got news for them, they will be 60 one day too.

We have reached the age of "Senior Discounts" too, but we are active and love to travel, especially by cruise ships. Have done RCI, Southern Caribbean and Princess, Alaska.

Are going on our next cruise on the Allure of the Seas (RCI) Eastern Caribbean on May 13, 2012. Much prefer RCI. Can't wait to experience the Allure!

I am still working but my husband is retired. He has a couple of medical issues but we haven't had any problems with getting accessible rooms or a scooter for him anywhere.

Highly recommend Southern Caribbean and Alaska. Both were great!

hey have fun this was the best cruise ship if you walk 4 times from front to bak its 1 mile...so looks like ur gonna lose weight on this ship... have fun let us all know how your doing when u get back... been there done that in nov 2011

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks. My wife and I went on our first cruise in may and really enjoyed ourselves. We went on the Island Princess to Alaska ( inside passage ). We are trying to decide on our next cruise. Not ready for anything to long though, 7 to 10 days would be about right. My wife is 50 and I am 55 we enjoy a more sedate type of holiday, not looking to be on the go all the time. We like to wander around the ports seeing the stores and museums and enjoying the relaxing cruise atmosphere.

We found the staff on the island princess to be very polite and helpfully, the food and entertainment was good but not something I would consider 5 star. This was our first cruise so we don't have anything to compare it to and we weren't really sure what to expect.

Can anyone suggest a good cruise for us to try next?

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry to share this info but my husband Len passed away on Friday July 6 of a heart attack. Our cruise in May was his first trip outside of Canada and I want to thank any and all of you who gave him information or tips that made his trip of a lifetime just that.

If we met any of you on board you can reach me at carleofarm@gmail.com

If you meet any of the crew of the Island Princess tell thank-you from me

Carol Baldwin

• 3 months later...

My husband and I took our first cruise in 2000 and were instantly hooked! We've never been able to cruise as much as we'd like to but we went again in 2004 and then this past January. We're trying to make up for lost time in the next two cruises. :D

I am so excited to find this thread. DH and I are widowed, 60+ and recently married. We wanted to do something either of us had never done so we took a cruise and are hooked. We go on cruise #4 in Feb our first on Celebrity's Constellation. The first 3 were Royal Caribbean. Anyone out there who has been on this ship. Would love to hear about her.

I am so excited to find this thread. DH and I are widowed, 60+ and recently married. We wanted to do something either of us had never done so we took a cruise and are hooked. We go on cruise #4 in Feb our first on Celebrity's Constellation. The first 3 were Royal Caribbean. Anyone out there who has been on this ship. Would love to hear about her.

Loved the Constellation! It was a good size ship - not too large or too small. We never had problems with having to wait in line for anything. The food was great and the staff outstanding. I especially liked the friendliness of the people. Celebrity is a great cruise line. I hope the Constellation hasn't changed too much.

• 2 months later...

Greetings to all of you. My DH and I have been retired for 15 years now and we cruise twice a year. Next month will be #30. Celebrity is our cruise line of choice and for the last few years it is the only line we choose. We have never had a bad cruise.

Sheila

• 1 month later...
i am planning a cruise for early next year. i am over 55 and wondering what ship is the best one. also wondering if its safe nowdays for a woman to travel alone?

We have met many women traveling alone on cruises and they all seem to think that it's a very safe way to travel alone. The "best" ship depends on the itinerary you are considering but you might start looking at Celebrity and Princess. Whatever you decide, after you have booked, go to the "Roll Call" section here on Cruise Critic and look for your specific cruise. You will be able to meet fellow cruisers ahead of time and join activities both onboard and in port. Suddenly, you won't be traveling alone!

• 11 months later...

Although my body has it's issues, my mind is getting younger each year.

So many things are better and more fun with age I find. I got my first tattoo at age 50, since then I've gotten a few more including 2 just last year when I was 61. Now at age 62 I'll be taking my first cruise and very much looking forward to it. In fact have 2 booked for this year, one in March and one in Oct....very excited to start this new experience! :D

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found this thread and see it was a busy one in 2005! Here it is August 2014 and hardly breathing. How can we revive it? I'm 66 but always told I look at least ten years younger, which worries me for two reasons. First, what do people expect me to look like? Second, I worry that some morning I will wake up, look in the mirror and discover that I suddenly look like people expect me to, whatever that is. Age does not define me. I retired in october 2010 because my elderly and disabled mother lives 200 miles away and I spend too much time on the road between our homes to make up the time working. I was also embroiled in litigation with my ex. My first cruise as a single senior was in January on the Carnival Splendor with my 18 year old daughter and her friend. Although it rained every day, we had fun. I will be cruising in September onboard the Norwegian Breakaway, with two friends. Again, my main question is how can we revive this thread? I confess that it has been fun reading through the past postings.

• 4 weeks later...
I finished my last cruise a month before my 55th birthday. Next cruise in April.

============================

Hi BillOH, glad you posted. What ship will you be cruising on in April and where does it go?

============================

Hi BillOH, glad you posted. What ship will you be cruising on in April and where does it go?

Royal's Freedom of the Seas = Western Caribbean Labadee, Fallmouth, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel.

I have never posted on this forum before.....omg...I am now 56

so would be considered a "SR" by many folks:D:eek::p.

I have been cruising solo for 11 years now.....seems many of the folks

who post on this particular forum are "more mature";) and retired.

I work full time and will probably have to continue to do so for at least

10 more years.......I live on my own.

I love to cruise and try to go 2 to 3 times a year:) and my next cruise

up is in November on Celebrity's REFLECTION.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lois!! Miss X... glad you are still enjoying your cruises - 56? you are a mere child! I just found this thread and I know I like everyone on it already ! will be in and out ... Corkey Carol

Hi Again Lois - I just glanced at your cruise pics and I saw Bill and Rosie - I will meet them on the Quantum next April 2015 - CC brings all of us together and makes it a very small cruising world!! Corkey Carol

• 2 months later...
I just found this thread and see it was a busy one in 2005! Here it is August 2014 and hardly breathing. How can we revive it? I'm 66 but always told I look at least ten years younger, which worries me for two reasons. First, what do people expect me to look like? Second, I worry that some morning I will wake up, look in the mirror and discover that I suddenly look like people expect me to, whatever that is. Age does not define me. I retired in october 2010 because my elderly and disabled mother lives 200 miles away and I spend too much time on the road between our homes to make up the time working. I was also embroiled in litigation with my ex. My first cruise as a single senior was in January on the Carnival Splendor with my 18 year old daughter and her friend. Although it rained every day, we had fun. I will be cruising in September onboard the Norwegian Breakaway, with two friends. Again, my main question is how can we revive this thread? I confess that it has been fun reading through the past postings.

I noticed you cruised the Breakaway. As a single senior how did you like it. What were the demographics and did you find it social.

The ship is beautiful and the staff very accommodating. The cabin sizes are smaller than I've seen elsewhere. We were "upgraded" to a Junior Suite, which was pretty small for we three older women. The bathroom was great with a beautiful large glass enclosed shower. The pools are tiny, not enough space on the pool decks. As for the food, I was disappointed and realize I don't like free style. As for the demographics, very very mixed. There were many baby boomers, judging by the standing ovation for the Rock Of Ages show. We got it! I don't think I'd cruise on that ship again.

The ship is beautiful and the staff very accommodating. The cabin sizes are smaller than I've seen elsewhere. We were "upgraded" to a Junior Suite, which was pretty small for we three older women. The bathroom was great with a beautiful large glass enclosed shower. The pools are tiny, not enough space on the pool decks. As for the food, I was disappointed and realize I don't like free style. As for the demographics, very very mixed. There were many baby boomers, judging by the standing ovation for the Rock Of Ages show. We got it! I don't think I'd cruise on that ship again.

Thank yoy for the your answer. I guess I will just keep on looking for no single supplement cruises. Just booked Carnival Triumph B2B 2/9/15 & 2/20/15 for $840.

Again,

Thank you;

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard, it sounds like you got a good deal on your B2B Carnival Triumph cruise for February. I really enjoyed the meals on the Carnival Splendor. The late night crowd was much younger, especially in the clubs but the ship had many families with all ages, couples and singles. It was a friendly atmosphere. I hope you've joined the roll call for your cruise dates. Look for singles there too. And let me know how you enjoy your trip. Bon Voyage! Cheryl

• 4 weeks later...