In which port did you learn the most?

BigKeith

Most people discuss their favourite ports for their beauty and what there is there. I love all types of cruising and i also love learning new stuff.

In which port did you learn the most?

I think I'd go for Hurgarda (?) where I went to Luxor but Ashod would be close

Big Keith

I would have to say Bermuda. We visited this past summer and took a private tour. Our guide/driver shared about many aspects of this island living. It was really neat and I would love to go back and see even more of this Island Country.

I agree with Bermuda being a good one, especially how the house's roofs filter their water.

Of course, visiting Pompeii from a Naples port stop was simply incredible. We visited the ruins of a house of a wealthy family named "Zetti". I thought, maybe they were relatives and the "Z" was later changed to a "B"!

Out of all the ports I have visited (most being Caribbean and tourist type) I would say that I enjoyed Cartagena, Columbia the most. The history and traditions were very interesting. Never realized how rich in history and tradition Cartagena was. Definitely not much of a beach or shopping type port.

Tim

I'd have to say it's between Athens and Rome........

So much ancient history. Such sights to see and so much to learn.

Both are incredible with their history, beauty, contribution to the world and the food in both is amazing! :)

We haven't cruised Europe but in the Caribbean, we learned the most in Grenada b/c we had a fabulous private tour guide, Mandoo. He taught us about the island but he also discussed the social & political issues facing his country in an increasingly globally interdependent world & how the internet has changed many things about island living.

Possibly the first time in Venice, although we'd read a lot before we travelled there.

A fabulous guided tour in Tuscania....another in Belfast.....enjoyed a sail/bus tour in Martinique.

Jo.

Some people coming up with some great choices. Athens and Rome are fantastic for their history.

Thinking about learning, I'd also have to mention Naples, learnt so much about volcanoes and how they work and then went on to see Pompeii. Best of both worlds.

The Mendenhall Glacier visitor centre in Juneau was also packed with great information in general. Fantastic for someone who wasn't fully sure what a glacier actually was

We haven't cruised Europe but in the Caribbean, we learned the most in Grenada b/c we had a fabulous private tour guide, Mandoo. He taught us about the island but he also discussed the social & political issues facing his country in an increasingly globally interdependent world & how the internet has changed many things about island living.

This is my vote too!! We had a wonderful tour with Mandoo 7 years ago and learned so much. I had no clue that cinnamon was from the bark of a tree!!!

The other island where I learned a lot was Aruba on our TomCar tour.

Next up - Alaska and I'm sure I'll learn something there!

One of these days I'll get out of the Caribbean and over to Europe or maybe a full transit Panama Canal (although that may have to wait until the youngest is in college in 6 years!).

I'd have to say it's between Athens and Rome........

So much ancient history. Such sights to see and so much to learn.

Both are incredible with their history, beauty, contribution to the world and the food in both is amazing! :)

But where most? ;)

:) I answered that above in Post #6.

I would add Spain/Madrid and London to the list, as well.

:) I answered that above in Post #6.

I would add Spain/Madrid and London to the list, as well.

Sorry, I didn't notice that but was having a joke. I agree we learn many things everywhere, just more in some places than others

I'd have to say Monaco -- I know that sounds like an odd selection but here's why. We had an amazing tour guide, who was extremely knowledgeable about the history of the principality, its current political scene, beisdes the obligatory Grimaldi family royal gossip. I knew nothing about the place besides the latter stuff and was fascinated by its very long, rich history. Just goes to show, you can write off a port as a fluff stop and it turns out to be eye-opening.

Second would be Tangier, Morocco: again, a fabulous guide who really shepherded our small group (not a popular stop on my cruise; lots of people seemed to stay onboard or choose less comprehensive tours) through some interesting areas and had a lot of knowledge to share about the country's history and traditions.

It's hard to say. I do much of my research and "learning" in advance. However, I think I'd put Rome first, followed by Alexandria, Kusadasi, and Ashdod.

Of course, visiting Pompeii from a Naples port stop was simply incredible. We visited the ruins of a house of a wealthy family named "Zetti". I thought, maybe they were relatives and the "Z" was later changed to a "B"!

I think you're talking about the famous "House of the Vettii" in Pompeii. It's one of the best houses there; unfortunately it's been closed for restoration for the last few years. :( (Just returned from a week in the area.)

Archived