Hotel Recommendation in Ft Lauderdale, Florida?

Relax Cruiser

[/b]That should offset the $290 a night it costs

True, its not the cheapest place but its nice, quiet, and convenient to several stores and restaurants. They also offer a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel so it'll continue being my top choice when needing a place to stay before a cruise in Ft. Lauderdale.

Edited by akeasley

Take a look at Cambria Suites, Comfort Suites and Best Western Plus off Stirling Road in Dania Beach. A cab from there to the port will run you under $20 with tip. They just built the Comfort Suites. I think they all are running around $190 for the time frame you want.

As others have noted, it is unlikely for you to find a room for much less near the port or the airport when we are in season.

Take a look at Cambria Suites, Comfort Suites and Best Western Plus off Stirling Road in Dania Beach. A cab from there to the port will run you under $20 with tip. They just built the Comfort Suites. I think they all are running around $190 for the time frame you want.

As others have noted, it is unlikely for you to find a room for much less near the port or the airport when we are in season.

When I checked Cambria Suites for early January the senior or the AAA rate was $275. It's where we usually stay pre-cruise, but not this time for that price.

Edited by FritzG

We stay at the Ramada Airport/Cruise Port on Jan. 29th, it was under $200 with a simple breakfast, pickup at the airport and a free ride to the cruise port the next morning. If you get there early afternoon there is a free shuttle to some local stores at 3PM.

Earlier this year we atayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites in Ft Lauderdale. It was adequate for one night and had free breakfast. It is not the Embassy Suites but clean and comfortable. We are not real picky but do have standards.

I just checked Hotwire and found the following for hotels close to the cruise port.

Cheapest $167 for 2-1/2 stars

$203 for a great 2-1/2 stars (I think this is the Hyatt Place)

The prices go up from there. These prices are per night and before tax.

If the OP is staying two nights, I'd suggest renting a car and staying inland a bit. Many places have nothing nearby and could be a $40 round trip in and out of the city from a nearby airport hotel. This will give them freedom to see the area and start their vacation.

Again I recommend going over to the specific FL board. Hotel, shuttle and car rental info is available in detail. Lots of locals can guide you to reasonable areas to stay. You need to move inland, not near the coast.

Since the OP is new to Fort Lauderdale, I wouldn't recommend any blind sites like Priceline or Hotwire. Unless they get a car, you don't want to be stuck.

Edited by eandj

Earlier this year we atayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites in Ft Lauderdale. It was adequate for one night and had free breakfast. It is not the Embassy Suites but clean and comfortable. We are not real picky but do have standards.

That is why we stayed at the Sleep Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale Airport twice. My wife is extremely picky about clean and safe when it comes to motels. We are not suite caliber cruises BTW, however, we want a safe, clean, and comfortable vacation from beginning to end. We have gotten that criteria so far.

Edited by ar1950

we always stay at the Alhambra beach resort by Las Olmas-- We grab a taxi or pre arranged transport to this small little spot on the beach, across from Casablanca Restaurant. Walk to CVS to get incidentals-- The reason why this one works for us, is that we aren't looking for a expensive resort pre cruise and we book two nights even though really just staying for one. It is still cheaper than any of the Marriot/Hilton etc. big resorts for 1 night. Coming from the west coast, we fly Jetblue red eye and get into Fort Lauderdale around 6:30 am. We just pick up the keys and head straight to our room. Sleep flight off for 4-5 hours, then go to the beach.

But I book at least 6 months ahead.....

Courtyard Marriott, Cypress Creek Road, $133 tax included. Very clean!! Very reasonable!! About 10 miles from airport and 10 from the port. Close to restaurants, try Carluccis for dinner. EXCELLENT! We just stayed there last week, we're cruising out again next month and staying there again.

Edited by volmoma

Since you are staying 2 nights, check out the Snooze Inn (which has a 2 night minimum in high season I think). It is a small hotel directly across from the beach with lots of nearby shops and restaurants. It gets great reviews on TripAdvisor, Expedia, etc. and from posters on this site. http://takeasnooze.com/

Courtyard Marriott, Cypress Creek Road, $133 tax included. Very clean!! Very reasonable!! About 10 miles from airport and 10 from the port. Close to restaurants, try Carluccis for dinner. EXCELLENT! We just stayed there last week, we're cruising out again next month and staying there again.

OP will need a rental car for this hotel since it is almost 13 miles from the airport and Port Everglades or spend at least a $40 per cab ride plus additional transportation costs for the 2 days (for sightseeing, etc.) and right now it looks like rooms are $189 plus tax for his/her time period.

Just a thought: If you want to travel a bit, you can get a nice place in Key Largo for $120 or so. We just stayed at the Hampton Inn Key Largo and thought it was very nice.

Jim

Key Largo is insanely expensive during the OPs time frame. Otherwise I'd agree.

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in Ft Lauderdale near the Pier (or close enough) under $120/night? Just looking for a decent place to stay; nothing fancy. Reviews on Tripadvisor dont look great so looking for some personal recommendations. Thanks.

"Decent", "near the pier", $120/night... good luck!

We were there in Nov., and since we had never been before, we went for scenic, close to port and beach. We stayed at the Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a DoubleTree and it was nice, but pricey. They have a shuttle service package that takes you right to the port. Very convenient but you pay for it.

Edited by mvaughn11

I just booked Galt Villas Inn on North Ocean Blvd about 6mi from the pier. Only reason I booked was free cancellation. Reviews were quite good especially that the rooms were clean. Price seemed reasonable at $150/night. Just dont know anything about the hotel/motel/area. Going solely on reviews.

I just booked Galt Villas Inn on North Ocean Blvd about 6mi from the pier. Only reason I booked was free cancellation. Reviews were quite good especially that the rooms were clean. Price seemed reasonable at $150/night. Just dont know anything about the hotel/motel/area. Going solely on reviews.

Looks like a nice choice, good reviews on Trip Advisor. I'm guessing you'll take a taxi to the pier?

Yes, either a taxi or we'll be renting a car as well. Just don't know if there will be a car drop off at the pier. Or if we would need to go to the airport!

Do a search on this board for "car rental returns Port Everglades" and you'll get lots of info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2281426

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2279191

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275633

That's a great little neighborhood. The downside is that it is an old motel and it doesn't have beach access. A taxi could easily cost $35-45 from FLL and to PE, so a car rental is a good idea. There is free parking, and there are lots of car rental outlets just outside of the port.