DS Age 10: Are sign-out privileges optional?

alj1208

Our DS, Age 10, is a little young for his age in terms of decision-making and emotional maturity. We would not be comfortable with him having sign-out privileges from the kids' club on HAL. However, we know he'd love to participate in club activities. Does anyone know if parents may decline sign-out privileges for a child this age on HAL? Does the staff do a good job of enforcing who has privileges and who doesn't? Thanks for your help! Any feedback is welcome.

We have a 10 year old and will be on Carnival. From what I read, we can decline the sign out but then he cannot participate in activities outside the club like scavenger hunts and such. My plan is to give permission so he can do those activities but tell him otherwise he's not allowed. Luckily, he is a rule follower, so we should be fine. I'm actually planning on telling my 13 year old the same rule, even though he's allowed regardless, because I am not comfortable with it for him either.

We have a 10 year old and will be on Carnival. From what I read, we can decline the sign out but then he cannot participate in activities outside the club like scavenger hunts and such. My plan is to give permission so he can do those activities but tell him otherwise he's not allowed. Luckily, he is a rule follower, so we should be fine. I'm actually planning on telling my 13 year old the same rule, even though he's allowed regardless, because I am not comfortable with it for him either.

A lot of the time, the teen clubs are used as meet up spots, and then they head out to other areas. Your son could very well be sitting there alone. Our teens would just let us know thier plans - there really is a finite number of places they can go, I'd end up seeing them multiple times during the day and night.

A lot of the time, the teen clubs are used as meet up spots, and then they head out to other areas. Your son could very well be sitting there alone. Our teens would just let us know thier plans - there really is a finite number of places they can go, I'd end up seeing them multiple times during the day and night.

I agree with this. Much of what the 12-14 and 15-17 year olds do is not in the club; they are meeting at various places for putt-putt, basketball, theater etc. The kids use the club to meet up, and then chose what they will do from there. And some of the teen activities go until 1 am and this mom is NOT staying up that late on vacation! At 13 years old, you child should be able to go to an activity and return to the cabin without issue.

My sons are now 12 and 18, and the youngest has been signing himself in/out since 9. BUT, he is mature and responsible and a rule follower by nature. The oldest is navigationally challenged so I waited til he was a bit older before letting him have this privilege so he wouldn't get lost. I am all for knowing your kid, and if you think the younger isn't ready, then don't grant it. But you should probably reconsider the plan for the teen.

The freedom It doesn't mean that they don't have rules or structure - they are well aware that "don't do anything you wouldn't do with me standing right there" is the order of the day - and breaking it would result in grounding to cabin. I pass my kids multiple times a day, see them from a distance when they have no idea I am around - there truly are only so many places they can go: pool, sports deck, promenade etc. - and I have never seen them act inappropriately. They both know to be dressed, showed and ready for dinner at whatever time we have set, as well as for shore excursions as we always do these things together. But ship time is down time for everyone and they can spend it like they like. If they want to stay out til 1 am and get up at 7 for a shore excursion, that is on them - enjoy napping on the beach son...mom and dad are snorkeling!

• 5 months later...
Our DS, Age 10, is a little young for his age in terms of decision-making and emotional maturity. We would not be comfortable with him having sign-out privileges from the kids' club on HAL. However, we know he'd love to participate in club activities. Does anyone know if parents may decline sign-out privileges for a child this age on HAL? Does the staff do a good job of enforcing who has privileges and who doesn't? Thanks for your help! Any feedback is welcome.

What - do you mean 10 year old kids can actually sign themselves out from kids club?? Is this on Royal carribeen ohh gosh I was not aware of this and am so not comfortable with my daughter walking around the ship on her own :confused:

What - do you mean 10 year old kids can actually sign themselves out from kids club?? Is this on Royal carribeen ohh gosh I was not aware of this and am so not comfortable with my daughter walking around the ship on her own :confused:

On NCL and DCL they can, probably the same on most lines. At that age, I would let them know where I wanted them to be if they signed out, they did not have my permission to just leave and wander. It was also rare that my kids were in a club without at least one sibling.

On NCL and DCL they can, probably the same on most lines. At that age, I would let them know where I wanted them to be if they signed out, they did not have my permission to just leave and wander. It was also rare that my kids were in a club without at least one sibling.

Tk u I didn't realise they could do this, don't think I could relax knowing she was wandering round so will be asking her not to leave till I collect her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is a suggestion if your kids are rule followers: I have always registered my 9+ kids as being permitted sign-in/out privileges. They knew they should not leave without me or my husband coming to pick them up. The advantage was we got them in and out of camp quicker...the process of a kid signing themselves in/out is a lot faster than with the parents doing it.

Our last sailing with DCL our son was old enough to sign out on his own from the Oceaneer's Club/Lab but we were not comfortable with that. DCL gave us the option when we registered him as to whether he had that option or not. We told them that he was required to be signed in or out by us and they registered him that way and there were no issues (other than our son protesting our decision initially but that ended quickly when I advised him it was that way or no kids club at all, debate ended 0.004 seconds after that). I would check with the cruise line in advance and see if they give the parents the final say on this or is their rule a one size fits all based on age.

By the way, anyone know the rule on this for 11-12 yo on RCL, considering Oasis class in the near future.

Your 10 yr old will only be able to sign herself out of Adventure Ocean if you give her permission to do so. If you don't give permission in advance, they will not let her leave.