Sailing with a British line (Thompson and P and O) after American brand (Carnival)?

Velvetwater

Hi

(Asking on this board as even though it seems a UK questions its towards everyone)

We are about to sail on our 2nd cruise with Carnival on the Legend (2,240 passengers) and we love to whole upbeat branding of Carnival and the size of this ship...even with the garish decor. When we have cruise shopped before we generally have only looked at the bigger lines but found the itineraries are not what we like for next year (Med).

We heard Thomson cruises have good routes so found a amazing deal with Thomson (7 day western with flights etc in summer hols for £2450 for 2 in a ocean view plus room) in all the ports I want...even Slovenia!

Problem is I keep hearing about how Thomson is pants when you have sailed elsewhere and even though there is one sea day and the rest are ports I am worrying. The ship also looks cramped. I have also looked a little at P and O as well.

So my question is i sailing with Thomson a huge come down after sailing with US market lines? Would like opinions from everyone even if they are not from the UK.

Thanks!

Edited by Velvetwater

Ask yourself this question......What is more important to you,

The ports of call and variety of excursions, or..

The ship itself and all it offers in decor, fine food,and entertainment etc.

I sailed with Thompsons last year and was really disappointed with everything apart from the ports visited.(west. Med.)

It really all comes down to personal taste and what you can afford to pay, enjoy your future cruise ,I'm sure you will choose what's right for you.

Unfortunately, you will not find many people on this side of the pond who have even heard of Thomson, much less sailed them.

'This side of the pond' means different things to you and me, Essiesmom!

I've not sailed with Thomson and it's years since I sailed with P&O. Thomson is considered more of a basic line (hence the low price), though good value. You would likely notice a big difference from Carnival. Their ships don't have the frills a lot of others do. P&O would certainly be more upscale and with more amenities, but it attracts an older clientele. I do think, though, that if you really like the vibe and decor of Carnival, you would find some major US lines a bit staid. You might not enjoy Princess, HAL or Celebrity so much, though it would be worth giving Royal Caribbean a go.

At the end of the day, you have to decide how important the itinerary is to you.

Well you summed up yourself the issue plus Thomson are old ships and the others a lot newer meaning a lot of extra things to do and features on board

So it does boil down to the issue stated earlier of ports or ship

Your choice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

(Asking on this board as even though it seems a UK questions its towards everyone)

We are about to sail on our 2nd cruise with Carnival on the Legend (2,240 passengers) and we love to whole upbeat branding of Carnival and the size of this ship...even with the garish decor. When we have cruise shopped before we generally have only looked at the bigger lines but found the itineraries are not what we like for next year (Med).

We heard Thomson cruises have good routes so found a amazing deal with Thomson (7 day western with flights etc in summer hols for £2450 for 2 in a ocean view plus room) in all the ports I want...even Slovenia!

Problem is I keep hearing about how Thomson is pants when you have sailed elsewhere and even though there is one sea day and the rest are ports I am worrying. The ship also looks cramped. I have also looked a little at P and O as well.

So my question is i sailing with Thomson a huge come down after sailing with US market lines? Would like opinions from everyone even if they are not from the UK.

Thanks!

It seems to me that your choices are quite clear. Are you cruising for the ship or the ports of call? You said thomson has an amazing deal/with ocean view cabin, inc flights and all the ports you want to see. Did any other line provide all those ports or was thomson's the only one? On a 7 day cruise with only one sea day the ship may not bee so important.

Please come back and let us know what you decide.

What ship would that be on? We're going on p&o ventura later on in the year through p&o. But Thompson cruise also send people on the same cruise. The only difference I can see is that Thompson has a little less baggage allowance. Look into it deeper before you make up your mind.

Our first ever cruise was a Turkey/Greek Isles one and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The price was great, free drinks included and NO dreaded tipping. The ports of call were really interesting and some I have not seen offered on other cruise lines, perhaps because the Thomson ships are smaller. The food was good, the ship fine.

After a year or two we decided to try another cruise in the Caribbean and booked Royal Caribbean. Wow! We were gobsmacked by the size, spectacle, amenities, entertainment - in fact EVERYTHING! We've since done 5 more cruises with RCCI and have another booked for next year.

Comparing Thomson to Royal Caribbean is like having a holiday at a Butlin's camp then one at a 5* star resort.

My friend has sailed with a few companies. She loves Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess. Wasn't keen on Carnival or P&O though.

What ship would that be on? We're going on p&o ventura later on in the year through p&o. But Thompson cruise also send people on the same cruise. The only difference I can see is that Thompson has a little less baggage allowance. Look into it deeper before you make up your mind.

Thomson have their own ships so Thomson cruises and the cruises available to book with Thomson cruise (travel agent) are completely different.

Thanks for the replies!

Indeed, it does depend what side of the pond you are on and as much as I love Carnival I don't love the decor its just that its...er...there. :)

The ship vs port is a very good point. We generally pick cruises based on ports but never imagined we be bowled over by the big cruise line experience.

I have had Greece,Montenegro and Croatia on my cruise list for a while. The fact the 7 night Thomson Majesty goes there and stops in Kopor, Slovenia as well is a bonus as I have never been there and would like to go. We would probably spend extra time in before the cruise in Corfu as well. The P and O voyage is a 14 day on the Oceana for a good price that doesnt stop in Slovenia but has an overnight stop in Venice (we love it there) and Naples (hubby wants to see Pompei).

When we booked our first ever cruise with Carnival it was due to the price and ports.

I think we are going to ponder over it on our Carnival Panama Canal cruise next month if it doesn't go well we may have our answer. Ill keep you posted.

Edited by Velvetwater

We decide on a cruise for either the ports or the ship- sometimes we get both...

We wanted to go on Independence OTS before she left the UK for good, so the itinerary was secondary.

We wanted to do the Greek Islands, and the tiny Louis ship was secondary....;)

Thomson own the aeroplanes and ships for your holiday, plus they fly from regional airports so you're looked after from the moment you arrive at that airport until your return- without having to pay for any extras. No tipping, no hard sales, pub prices, amazing entertainment and activities....but the ships are old.

Oceana- I've only been on her sister ship, Sea Princess, but they're attractive ships. She's a family ship ( 3 of P&O are adult only) so there'll be a younger clientele. We've been on 3 P&O family ships, and there's always been a wide range of activities...this time there's low gratuities which can be paid in advance; no 15% on bar sales and again, pub prices.

We'd be happy to go on Majesty mainly for that itinerary, but also because we know we'd have a great time on board.

Edited by jocap
Tired.....