I sailed with a 19 month old...and SURVIVED!

meliss4503

We just returned from our 6 days on the Carnival Breeze this past Saturday. While this wasn't our first cruise, it was our first with our 19 month old son. Before we left, I scoured CC for any advice/help/tips for traveling with a toddler, so here is my $.02 ;)

1. Bring more diapers than you think you will need. You will probably need them.

2. They only serve apple juice in the mornings for free (on Carnival at least). We stocked our mini fridge in the room every morning with enough for the day.

3. Grab the little boxes of cereal at the breakfast buffet. They make for a great snack at the ports.

4. Find an empty lounge or conference area during the day and let your little one RUN. My son was in his stroller so much he needed to let off some steam.

5. Camp Carnival is for 2 and older, but on sea days they have a few hours where under 2 can play as long as a parent stays. My son loved playing with the toys and other kids!

6. You won't make it through an entire dinner in the MDR. If you do, please order a second chocolate melting cake for me ;)

7. If you have a tablet or Kindle, bring it. My son watched movies and played Angry Birds in order to wind down at dinner or before bed.

8. We have a very strict schedule at home. Day 1 that was thrown out the window. Go with the flow, enjoy yourself, and try not to get caught up with scheduling.

9. ENJOY it. It's hard traveling with a kid, but it's worth it. Don't expect to do everything you want to do, but find things for everyone to enjoy. I didn't make it to every show, or get to play every game, but I got a totally different "mom" experience, which was cool :)

Did you order diapers through the cruise line or bring them all with you. We are taking our 15 month daughter on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise so I am planning on bringing a Costco sized box on initially but hope to grab more in a port somewhere. What else did you bring to entertain your little one?

Excellent advice and congrats on the weight loss!!

Thanks and thanks! :D

Did you order diapers through the cruise line or bring them all with you. We are taking our 15 month daughter on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise so I am planning on bringing a Costco sized box on initially but hope to grab more in a port somewhere. What else did you bring to entertain your little one?

For the 6 days, I brought a sleeve from the Costco box. I had 5 left. So for 14 days I think a box is an excellent idea! I bought some new toys before we left and only showed him once we were in the room, plus my Kindle Fire had some apps for him to play, and we watched a lot of Monsters Inc. and Nemo at night :)

Great tips. I am concerned about the schedule...namely...the sleeping. He'll be 11 months and only sleeps 7pm to 5am....i'm scared the change in the daily routine is going to get his sleeping all out of wack

Great review and advice! It will get easier as they get older but still "different". I have been sailing with mine since they were infants and they now are 4 and 7 and it's still "work" to sail with them but great memories and a nice family vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived