Penang Red Curry Coconut Chicken and Limoncello Cream Recipes

IRL_Joanie

I am happy to report that as I promised to try and do, I was successful in my efforts and was able to get the recipes for not only the Penang Red Curry Coconut Chicken recipe from the Tamarind, and Canaletto's Limoncello Cream, but also the entire Le Cirque menu recipes:)

I will scan all of the recipes later this week and post the link to them once I do. You will have to keep in mind that the portions are for upwards of 50 so....

Joanie

• 2 weeks later...

As I promised to do, I scanned and uploade the recipes and have them running now.

The Tamarind's Penang Red Curry Coconut Chicken is here: http://abqreunion2008.com/Recipes/HALs-Tamarind-Penang-Red-Curry-Coconut-Chicken.html

and the Canaletto's Limoncello Cream is here: http://abqreunion2008.com/Recipes/Limoncello-Cream.html

All the recipes I've posted (mine and many other CC members) are here: http://abqreunion2008.com/Recipes/

Joanie

Bain Marie translates to "water bath" and it's really more of a technique than a pot.

water bath

The French call this cooking technique bain marie . It consists of placing a container (pan, bowl, soufflé dish, etc.) of food in a large, shallow pan of warm water, which surrounds the food with gentle heat. The food may be cooked in this manner either in an oven or on top of a range. This technique is designed to cook delicate dishes such as custards, sauces and savory mousses without breaking or curdling them. It can also be used to keep cooked foods warm.

Has anyone yet figured out how to make the Limoncello Cream?

I'm a fairly decent cook and I can't follow the recipe Joanie posted the other day....

Can anyone else?

No, I can't, Judy....these recipes are really confusing. And I, too, consider myself a decent cook. Plus, it's pretty much useless to have recipes posted that serve so many people....most of us are used to recipes that serve 4 or 6.

Perhaps Joanie is accustomed to cooking for a crowd but I am not.

No, I can't, Judy....these recipes are really confusing. And I, too, consider myself a decent cook. Plus, it's pretty much useless to have recipes posted that serve so many people....most of us are used to recipes that serve 4 or 6.

Perhaps Joanie is accustomed to cooking for a crowd but I am not.

I would think all HAL recipes would be for large portions. I don't think they would make them in small batches. I think it was kind for Joanie to do this.

I agree Lorekauf that it was very kind of Joanie to do this.

AFAIK, commercial recipes use weight (not volume) as measurements. I worked with a woman who had been a pastry chef in a previous life, and she had to struggle to share her recipes with us "regular" folks.

Here's some info on that:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3407500076.html

For the most part, all measurements in a commercial kitchen are done by weight. One cookbook lists that four cups of flour equals one pound. The two cups of flour for the cake that serves ten would weigh one-half pound. Therefore, for a cake that serves two hundred, the recipe would call for twenty times that amount, or ten pounds of flour.

Here is my take on changing the recipe from 30 servings to 7/8. I just divided all the ingredients by 4. The gelatin might be a little tricky because I would normally use Knox gelatin pouches, so you might have to try and then make some adjustments.

Another thing that really confused me was the list using egg whites and then the instructions asking for yolks. I'm thinking that it seemed to be more of a custard base, so I put egg yolks in the list.

I hope this makes sense to some of the cooks on this site.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this yet, but if someone is brave enough, maybe you could let us know the outcome.

HAL Canaletto - Limocello Creme

Keep in mind that this is written for 30 servings

Preparation: Divide the original by 4, so 7/8 servings.

Lemon cello Cream

Juice Lemon 1 Liquid Oz /1 ½ teaspoon

Sugar White Granulated 15 Oz /1/2 cup sugar

1-Boil Lemon Juice and sugar.

Egg White Pastuerized 13 Oz /6 medium egg yolks (I don't think it should read egg whites)

Sugar White Granulated 15 Oz /1/2 cup sugar

2-Whisk egg yoke and sugar over a bain marie (metal bowl sitting on a pan of barely simmering hot water, bowl should not touch the water) and add the lemon juice mixture until fluffy.

Lemon Count 8 Zest /zest of 1 lemon

Gelatin Sheets 2.5 Oz /2 tsp. Knox gelatin

Gin Pouring 6 Oz /1 ½ oz gin

3-Add the soaked Gelatin (according to pkg directions) and the lemon peel and Gin.

Milk Heavy Cream 35% Uht Sterilized 4 Liter /1 liter whipped

4-Cool Down and fold in the whipped cream.

Jelly Cubes

Lemon Count 10 Peel & Juice /Juice and zest of 3 lemons

Gelatin Sheets 1 Ounce /1 tsp. Knox gelatin

Sugar White Granulated 3.5 Oz /2 tablespoons sugar

5-Make a jelly from the Lemon segment, sugar and juice and cut in cubes.

Assemble:

Put the jelly cubes in a Martini Glass, fill with the mousse and chill.

Top with Tuscan Lemon Liqueur.

OVgril.....

that is fabulous. I could do the arithmetic but could not make sense of gelatin sheets and the egg whites/yolks were confusing me.

Thank you for sharing your efforts with us.

I totally agree it is generous of Joanie to share her load of HAL recipes it's just most of them are very hard to translate. It isn't only a matter of simple arithmetic (dividing into smaller quantity), it's sometimes ingredients called something the American homemaker may not be familiar with.... ingredients by names other than that which we are familiar, hard to obtain ingredients etc

Thank you, Joanie. :)

OVgril.....

that is fabulous. I could do the arithmetic but could not make sense of gelatin sheets and the egg whites/yolks were confusing me.

Thank you for sharing your efforts with us.

I totally agree it is generous of Joanie to share her load of HAL recipes it's just most of them are very hard to translate. It isn't only a matter of simple arithmetic (dividing into smaller quantity), it's sometimes ingredients called something the American homemaker may not be familiar with.... ingredients by names other than that which we are familiar, hard to obtain ingredients etc

Thank you, Joanie. :)

Yolks or Whites, I was just thinking that it was more of a custard than a meringue type.

Yolks or Whites, I was just thinking that it was more of a custard than a meringue type.

Yah, I know .....

I've never eaten the dessert or could venture an opinion but not having ever seen it, I'd only be guessing.

That being said, my guess is yolks not whites.

Someone who has eaten this dessert in Canaletto....... was it a custard? Or was it a meringue?

I'm guessing it was yolks, as that would be the reason for the bain marie. The gentle heat from the water bath doesn't cook the eggs separately, leaving lumps of cooked egg. It's standard for a custard type dessert.

Yah, I know .....

I've never eaten the dessert or could venture an opinion but not having ever seen it, I'd only be guessing.

That being said, my guess is yolks not whites.

Someone who has eaten this dessert in Canaletto....... was it a custard? Or was it a meringue?

It was definitely a Custard. And the jello was teeny tiny 1/8 - 1/4 inch squares.

Joanie

Thanks Joanie for getting these. You must really do some sweet talking on the ship! Our son often makes the penne a la vodka recipe that he loves from the ship-the main secret for that one is to make sure you use Grey goose vodka.

The only answer here is to have at least one dinner at Caneletto which involves booking a cruise. One evening we went past Caneletto and it was empty and we asked if we could have dessert. They were very accommodating. That might be another option, but shhh, don't tell anyone.

Thank you so very much for getting this recipe. I've been looking since January! When I make this,will report how it goes. Will be awhile, am in the process of remodeling our kitchen.

These recipes are way too much trouble for me to try to convert to more reasonable serving sizes. I just know they wouldn't come out close to what we have on the ship.

I say, book a cruise to enjoy these treats...and look forward to having them on the ship. Don't know about you, but I have enough recipes at home that I use...I don't need to re-create what we have on HAL. When I try to re-create something we've enjoyed in a restaurant, etc., it is just never "the same".

I cook quite a bit and am going to try this over the weekend. For the Jello portion I plan to cheat and use sugar free lemon jello and make it with the gin or vodka and fresh lemon juice. I will eliminate the cold water the jello calls for.

The other part is a custard of egg yolks and sugar over a double boiler flavored with the lemon juice and sugar (boiled as a simple syrup). The hot lemon mix will need to be tempered in so the yolks are not scrambled. This is where you can add the gin and lemon peel. Depending on the amount of Gin you use will determine if you need to add some knox gelatin or a soaked gerlatin sheet to thicken up. Once cool, add the whipped cream. Don't overmix or it will breakdown.

Cut the jello into cubes place in bottom of dish, next lemon custurd and top with lemon liqueur.

The custard recipe sounds a bit like the tiramisu recipe we did in the cooking class in Dec.

Archived