Aloha Hop On/Hop Off Bus -- Opinions, please

HamburgAvonLady

Have a chance to buy 1 or 2 day pass for the double decker Aloha bus in Honolulu. Have read some disappointing reviews about it not running on time with long waits at the bus stops --- we really like the idea and the flexibility but DH has difficulty standing for any length of time in one place.

Unfortunely, all the modes of transport seem to have more negative reviews than positive. Groupon has the Aloha bus tickets, until tomorrow for $14 instead of $30. We might try it and if we have to wait too long we will change over to The Bus, which is only $2.50. Still cheaper than rental and no headache for traffic and parking fees. I do wish taxis weren't so high priced, perhaps sharing a taxi would work tho. This has been the hardest thing to figure our for the whole cruise. lol

Unfortunely, all the modes of transport seem to have more negative reviews than positive. Groupon has the Aloha bus tickets, until tomorrow for $14 instead of $30. We might try it and if we have to wait too long we will change over to The Bus, which is only $2.50. Still cheaper than rental and no headache for traffic and parking fees. I do wish taxis weren't so high priced, perhaps sharing a taxi would work tho. This has been the hardest thing to figure our for the whole cruise. lol

The vouchor sites including groupon, just keep having the aloha bus coming up every 2-3 weeks.

In the months while we were planning for our trip to Hawaii, the first time we saw it on Groupon, that's when we researched into it. Fortunately we didn't go for it. If you walk by, or stand at Kalakau (the main street in Waikiki), you'll see a lot of different trolley/shuttle buses go by all the time. The Alohabus didn't come by as frequently as many others.

We used TheBus to go from Waikiki to the historic district of Honolulu and back during our post-cruise stay at the Outrigger. We are public transportation virgins and were quite nervous about it, but it worked fine. We would do it again. TheBus is reliable and easy. A friendly local made sure we got off at the right place.:)

I found a handy tool on Google Maps. When you put in where you want to go and then ask for directions you can choose an option for public transportation or even walking. I did that for Honolulu for several of our destinations. On the Public Transportation option it will show you where to get TheBus, what bus to take and where to get off. I printed out both the map and the printed directions and had no problem what so ever.

In addition to The (city) Bus, there are two HOHO buses; Aloha Bus and the Waikiki Trolley. Do NOT take the Aloha Bus. We did and were very disappointed. Ended up taking a taxi to Pearl Harbor. When we did finally get on it, there was no narration (letting us know what we were seeing). Good thing I lived there so I could tell my GF what we were looking at.

In addition to The (city) Bus, there are two HOHO buses; Aloha Bus and the Waikiki Trolley. Do NOT take the Aloha Bus. We did and were very disappointed. Ended up taking a taxi to Pearl Harbor. When we did finally get on it, there was no narration (letting us know what we were seeing). Good thing I lived there so I could tell my GF what we were looking at.

Last years we did the trolly (HoHo) it was pretty good but very crowded and they have limited running times. This year we will be doing the Bus just for the longer hours of operations... I have done The Bus on my first trip to Hawaii but did not like all the stops ( I kinda wanted to get to the destinations in a more direct route went to the memorial from the ship at aloha towers).

I am finding this very confusing. I would like to see Honolulu's famous spots. In trying to figure out if I took a cab from Pearl Harbor when finished there to Waikiki or maybe as far out as Diamond Head just to see it up close, it takes 22 (about mins) at a cost of about $50. If I take TheBus for $2.50 it will take 1 hr and 20 minutes. Both of these are would need a trip back. Neither sound very workable for me. I have read the comments that the Aloha bus isn't very good, but I am wondering if one managed to get on the bus and stayed on then viewing most sites from the top deck, maybe getting off at Waikiki Beach that might be allright. Comments please.

Almost ready, I would suggest taking a bus back to Waikiki from PH. You would go thru Chinatown, perhaps stopping there if you want. Then use your transfer to get back on bus to continue to Waikiki. Or go directly to Waikiki and transfer to a Diamond Head bus. Or just visit Waikiki and get a great view of Diamondhead and get lunch at Duke's and maybe take a look at Royal Hawaiian or any number of things in Waikiki. Then catch a bus back to the ship. TheBus gives you lots of options at a reasonable price.

We used TheBus to go from Waikiki to the historic district of Honolulu and back during our post-cruise stay at the Outrigger. We are public transportation virgins and were quite nervous about it, but it worked fine. We would do it again. TheBus is reliable and easy. A friendly local made sure we got off at the right place.

Do you need exact change when riding TheBus?

Archived