Liverpool in a day

There are 45 cruise ships scheduled to visit the port of Liverpool this year and it is one of the easiest cities to get around on your own.

Whether it is the Cunard heritage or The Beatles, there is a lot to see and many walks down memory lane (and even Penny Lane)

I've just completed my second review of how to spend a day in Liverpool. I hope you find it interesting...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/05/13/one-way-to-do-liverpool-part-2/

25492312833_2481981a0b_z.jpg

A very good review of the city of my birth. I now live, "Over the water" as we say, on Wirral.

To fill in a bit, the seal of Liverpool is reputed to have been lost and replaced with a bad copy, which made the eagle looking more like a cormorant and the Fleur de Lys looking more like a bit of sea weed. The seal was subsequently found and it was agreed to destroy the copy - but the real one was destroyed by mistake!! I think that is the true story - though it did happen long ago, probably hundreds of years. Liverpool got it's charter as a city in 1207.

I like the statues of the Beatles at the pier head - they must be fairly new as we have not seen them. The Cavern as it is now is not the original Cavern, which was on the other side of the Road, but it is all a bit of fun. The place we like to take visitors in Matthew street is "The Grapes" which has not changed since the sixties. The is a picture of the Beatles sitting in there with a backdrop of wallpaper which has been retained and covered with a perspex sheet to show that is the spot where the picture was taken. It is also a reasonably priced placed to get a drink and some food - basic stuff, but filling.

You are correct in the description of "infamous" for the Adelphi in recent years, though of course it was originally the only upmarket hotel in Liverpool and the balcony has held many famous people, including the Beatles and the Stones when they were respectively playing in the nearby Empire Theatre. I still have my front stalls ticket stub for my first Beatles concert (circa 1965) - cost was £15 and they came onto the balcony after they returned to the hotel). The Adelphi is still a good place to go into for a drink or afternoon tea - just go in the front door and up the stairs into the main lounge which is still fairly well maintained in an old style. Service can be slow though, so you may prefer to go down the stairs again and into a modern bar to buy a drink.

Opposite the front of the Adelphi is a male Statue on the corner of what was Lewis's department store. If you knew the song, "In my Liverpool Home", this was referred to in the line, "we speak with an accent exceedingly rare, meet under a statue exceedingly bare.....". Most buses into town stopped at the side of Lewis's. so that was a regular place to arrange to meet.

If up by the Catholic Cathedral, then it could be worth popping into The Philharmonic Pub, (denoted outside on the historic sign as the, "Philharmonic Dining Rooms"). It was a major venue in the sixties and seventies for students and arty people, so standing room in the central bar was difficult to find. The cocktail lounge (to RHS) has some nice seats and now serves pints, rather than only half pints, which was your penance for wanting to sit down in the sixties/seventies. It is a historic building and was done up some years ago, though sadly the carpets were showing quite a bit of wear when we last went there. The men's toilet has a large marble urinal and is often also visited by women who have been taken in to see it, (after a check that no one is in there of course).

If you want to use any of my words in your blogs, please feel free to do so.

Barbara

Got the price of the top price tickets for the Beatles concert in about 1965 wrong of course. It was 15 shillings (75p) rather than the £15 which I wrongly mentioned.

15 shillings was still a lot of money in the sixties though - I think I saved all my Christmas and birthday present money that year to pay for it, as I was only 15 at the time and still at school.

You will pass the Philharmonic pub if walking along Hope Street between the two Cathedrals.

Cheers,

Barbara

A very good review of the city of my birth. I now live, "Over the water" as we say, on Wirral.

You are correct in the description of "infamous" for the Adelphi in recent years, though of course it was originally the only upmarket hotel in Liverpool and the balcony has held many famous people, including the Beatles and the Stones when they were respectively playing in the nearby Empire Theatre. I still have my front stalls ticket stub for my first Beatles concert (circa 1965) - cost was £15 and they came onto the balcony after they returned to the hotel). The Adelphi is still a good place to go into for a drink or afternoon tea - just go in the front door and up the stairs into the main lounge which is still fairly well maintained in an old style. Service can be slow though, so you may prefer to go down the stairs again and into a modern bar to buy a drink.

Opposite the front of the Adelphi is a male Statue on the corner of what was Lewis's department store. If you knew the song, "In my Liverpool Home", this was referred to in the line, "we speak with an accent exceedingly rare, meet under a statue exceedingly bare.....". Most buses into town stopped at the side of Lewis's. so that was a regular place to arrange to meet.

If you want to use any of my words in your blogs, please feel free to do so.

Barbara

Hi Barbara.

Thanks for your comments.

You are of course perfectly correct about the Statue opposite The Adelphi.

My wife lived in Liverpool before she joined the Royal Navy and on our visit she took me to see the statue because that is where she met her friends. I even took a picture of her to send to her friends...

26801705700_092cf66463_z.jpg

So I did know all about it.

Thanks again and for allowing me to update the blog with your words of Liverpool wisdom.

Thanks again and for allowing me to update the blog with your words of Liverpool wisdom.

You are welccome.

I like that story Mim.

Some people may also remember the gem of Liverpool humour about two girls from a nearby principality who were standing by Lewis's. Looking up, one said, "Oh Gwen, it is bigger than ........ ........". Please infill the blanks with the name of another large department store in Liverpool that went into demise a number of years ago.

My husband tells me the statue is an Epstein, but not the Epstein I could recall!

Edited by tring

Thanks Richard. Great review of the world's friendliest city (But then again, I'm biased!:D) I've posted a link to your thread on our Liverpool ideas thread.

If anyone is interested in more info for cruise visitors to Liverpool, there 's a thread we started a while back. It can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=907552

:)

Edited by Towncar T