Temperatures in Western Med in May

waterlegs

Hi. I am wondering about weather in May in the western Mediterranean...South of France and West of Italy. Is it worthwhile bring shorts and sundresses or would it be warm enough for them. Would summer trousers be better? I am also wondering about how warm or cold the cabins are at night generally? Will be with Royal Caribbean. Many thanks

You can control the temperature in your cabin. There are many weather sites online. Have you looked up average temperature for these places? You may want to check the five day forecast right before you leave for the most accurate information.

Hi. I am wondering about weather in May in the western Mediterranean...South of France and West of Italy. Is it worthwhile bring shorts and sundresses or would it be warm enough for them. Would summer trousers be better? I am also wondering about how warm or cold the cabins are at night generally? Will be with Royal Caribbean. Many thanks

Been there last May and we wore shorts at times. We have a high tolerance for cold being from the northeast.

We've cruised there in late April and in May. Temps ranged from mild to very hot. We definitely needed shorts and/or sundresses. 90+ in Rome late April. 70-85 other areas including the Greek isles, the Riviera, Italy and Spain.

Of course, weather is weather and unpredictable. But I'd bring summer clothes and some for cooler weather, just in case.

Online charts suggest an average of 20-23. Just not sure that is hot enough for shorts. Inland tours like Florence and southern areas like Naples may be warmer. Best thing is to check forecast just before leaving. I have to buy shorts etc for this cruise as haven't worn them for over 15 years.

Most of the time in the Med, you are going on tours that go into cathedrals or other religious sites where you can't wear shorts as your knees and elbows must be covered. For walking around town, it is better to wear resort wear or something business casual. I'm just not sure where you would wear shorts in the Med unless you are going on a sailboat or hiking.

That said, weather in May can range from cool and rainy to hot. Bring layers and an umbrella. I usually wear a sundress and then have a knit sweater to wear over it. But I also bring long pants and a jacket and then layer. For example, we did a cruise that started in Barcelona and when we got to Brugge, it was very cool outside, so I wore pants and 2 tops with the jacket and was warm enough. The rest of the cruise it was hot so I wore sundresses and my knit sweater. We typically cruise in early May as the weather is mild and it is enjoyable to walk around outside.

In the ports on our three cruises in the Med, in late April/early May, I wore only long slacks, with tops ranging from one jersey, to jersey, sweater and raincoat layered together. Each time, temps ranged from sunny and warm to cold and wet.

Most of the time in the Med, you are going on tours that go into cathedrals or other religious sites where you can't wear shorts as your knees and elbows must be covered. For walking around town, it is better to wear resort wear or something business casual. I'm just not sure where you would wear shorts in the Med unless you are going on a sailboat or hiking.

That said, weather in May can range from cool and rainy to hot. Bring layers and an umbrella. I usually wear a sundress and then have a knit sweater to wear over it. But I also bring long pants and a jacket and then layer. For example, we did a cruise that started in Barcelona and when we got to Brugge, it was very cool outside, so I wore pants and 2 tops with the jacket and was warm enough. The rest of the cruise it was hot so I wore sundresses and my knit sweater. We typically cruise in early May as the weather is mild and it is enjoyable to walk around outside.

I am aware of the dress code for churches etc. so wont be wearing them in port if visiting such places. I thought they would be ok for the Amalfi coast though and my DIY tour of Nice/Cannes as wont be visiting churches or museums in them places. Mostly though I would wear them on deck on the two days I will be all day on board.