Symphony of the Seas' Blocks Are in the House!

I got the impression that the new Terminal A in Miami was going to be located closer to the east end of the channel, so backing up would be minimized.

Agree, just pointing out that these ships can back for a distance that lot people dont realize and which was discussed earlier in this thread.

Agree, just pointing out that these ships can back for a distance that lot people dont realize and which was discussed earlier in this thread.

Mariner did the same thing in San Pedro when she was out there for a year. Had to turn around outside the channel, then back in quite a ways.

Agree, I'd heard that. Besides lot of ships back up quite a ways at times, When leaving Boston the Serenade backs up about a mile before turning around. I always have an aft cabin which is Kool...

Quantum class ships back 26 miles down the Ems river. Granted, it is a one time occurrence for each ship. I've read somewhere that the ships with azipods steer better going in reverse.

atgood

Quantum class ships back 26 miles down the Ems river. Granted, it is a one time occurrence for each ship. I've read somewhere that the ships with azipods steer better going in reverse.

atgood

I think Mariner had to go around 2 miles in reverse.

For people who question the ships ability to back up should check out the videos of the Quantum class ships backing down the river from the ship builder yard. It is a day long trip through some very tight spaces, all done while backing up. I watch the Miami web cam often and wonder why ships go forward all the way down the channel to the turn around then drive out. Why not just back up?

Agree, I'd heard that. Besides lot of ships back up quite a ways at times, When leaving Boston the Serenade backs up about a mile before turning around. I always have an aft cabin which is Kool...

That doesn't account for width. Freedom is the widest ship I have seen in Miami. Without doing the math, it would be interesting to see how Oasis fits in that channel with other ships docked. I thought I remember years ago thinking the new terminal would be belt at the channel's east end.

Quantum class ships back 26 miles down the Ems river.

Most of the work is done by the tugs though.

On the Ems conveyance the ship is not cruising. The ship does use the azipods and yes it´s easier to do this backwards. But there are several tugs for steerage plus a pontoon like structure at the bow for the tug. It´s a once in a lifetime thing for a cruise ship built at Meyer Werft but not a regular thing. The ships never return to Meyer.

steamboats