Is this really the best place to stay in New York?

CatherineL

We are staying in New York four nights at the end of the transatlantic voyage. I read on trip advisor that the best place to stay is Times Square. However in the pictures, it looks like one giant circus.

Is this truly the best place to stay? What other area would you recommend? I am looking for a decent four star, as I've always found anything higher a huge waste in a city when we'll be doing a lot of sightseeing. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

We are staying in New York four nights at the end of the transatlantic voyage. I read on trip advisor that the best place to stay is Times Square. However in the pictures, it looks like one giant circus.

Is this truly the best place to stay? What other area would you recommend? I am looking for a decent four star, as I've always found anything higher a huge waste in a city when we'll be doing a lot of sightseeing. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

You are right. Avoid Times Square. It was more interesting when it was full of peep shows and sleaze. Now it's like Disney Junior and chain restaurants. Family-friendly now, I reckon you could say, but the "charm" has been replaced by mass-market dreck.

I have no idea about which hotel has how many stars, but you should keep looking.

I've always been happy enough with the Waldorf=Astoria. Not the best hotel I've stayed in, but very cheap with the £/$ as it is now. Quieter location too.

As Paul says, easy to get around. He walks. I take a taxi. Others use the subway.

Matthew

Hi Paul - sorry I see you are from New York and i didn't meant to offend. I'm really looking forward to coming there. But, I live in the sticks - North of England, close the Scottish borders, and I find it tough to imagine sleeping in a really busy area.

Is Central Park a good area? Or can you recommend anywhere else not too hectic, but within easy reach of all that there is to see? What is the best way to get round - taxi, subway, or just walk? Thanks.

Hi Paul - sorry I see you are from New York and i didn't meant to offend. I'm really looking forward to coming there. But, I live in the sticks - North of England, close the Scottish borders, and I find it tough to imagine sleeping in a really busy area.

Is Central Park a good area? Or can you recommend anywhere else not too hectic, but within easy reach of all that there is to see? What is the best way to get round - taxi, subway, or just walk? Thanks.

Try getting a hotel with lots of floors. Then try and get a room on a high floor.

Otherwise, hope they have double glazing. "Peace and quiet" and "New York" are not really concepts that naturally go together.

Matthew

He wasn't offended, he was being his version of funny. :)

Central Park is very nice. And as Matthew said, the Waldorf=Astoria is a good choice. You would take a taxi if you wanted to go to one place as quickly as possible, the subway if you wanted to go say, downtown, and didn't have a specific place in mind or weren't in a hurry, and walk if you really want to see the city. The best is take the subway somewhere and then walk around a bit. The natives are quite friendly, there is usually a police officer down on the subway platform, and both natives and officers will be happy to help you get where you want to go.

One thing the children like to do is get an all-day Metro Card--it's replaced subway tokens. You can ride the subway all you want, get on and off wherever you wish, for one reasonable price.

Hope I've helped a little,

Thanks Matthew - that looks a really nice hotel. And the exchange rate is great right now. Is the service ok there? I noticed it is owned by Hilton and I had real problems last time I went to London with the Hilton in South Kensington room service. After four phone calls, they brought the remaining half of our breakfast - eg bacon and sausage 40 minutes after the first lot, then kept us waiting in reception while they tried to sort it out, even though i told them I was in a rush and I'd prefer that they just called me.

And the Conrad in Chelsea is meant to be five star and didn't even have any port in the hotel! I'm not really picky but no port at all in a five star hotel in the UK is weird.

So, I'm not keen on using Hilton again, but the hotel does look nice. And I would give it a try if you thought it was worthwhile.

Thanks Matthew - that looks a really nice hotel. And the exchange rate is great right now. Is the service ok there? I noticed it is owned by Hilton and I had real problems last time I went to London with the Hilton in South Kensington room service. After four phone calls, they brought the remaining half of our breakfast - eg bacon and sausage 40 minutes after the first lot, then kept us waiting in reception while they tried to sort it out, even though i told them I was in a rush and I'd prefer that they just called me.

And the Conrad in Chelsea is meant to be five star and didn't even have any port in the hotel! I'm not really picky but no port at all in a five star hotel in the UK is weird.

So, I'm not keen on using Hilton again, but the hotel does look nice. And I would give it a try if you thought it was worthwhile.

Not offended at all. Just don't know how much you are looking to spend and what comforts you desire. As Matthew wrote, the Waldorf is a great place to stay.

I would probably opt to take the bus tour to see the whole city and from that decide on where I wanted to go and spend time exploring.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'm glad I didn't offend you. I have heard about how loyal New Yorkers are to their city.

Where do I get tickets for the buses? Are they those hop on hop off ones?

Really I'm open to staying anywhere in a good location and would usually choose four star in a city - something comfortable, well located but not fussed about additional facilities etc, as it really is somewhere to sleep. I don't really have a fixed cost in mind, as the exchange rate is so good, so I would say anywhere four star or a good three star.

If I could get something for less than $2000 including tax for four nights - Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday in August, I'd be happy.

Your New York hotels are really expensive in comparison to London. I always priceline London, and always choose four or five star in the area I want to stay as they have amazing deals. But I read on Trip Advisor that you have to book New York well in advance as you may not get a room anywhere. Is this really true?

I like to stay in somewhere reasonably good, but I hate paying a lot for hotel rooms when I'm not going to be in them much, so I'm always shopping for a good deal.

I like to stay in somewhere reasonably good, but I hate paying a lot for hotel rooms when I'm not going to be in them much, so I'm always shopping for a good deal.

I have a friend who is coming on the January Crossing with us. He's booked the Waldorf on their run of the house price - as a single it doesn't matter to him if he gets a queen bed rather than a king. I thought those prices were excellent.

I wouldn't say the Waldorf is the best hotel I've stayed in, but it is a good international hotel, with the added history and aura that comes with being the iconic New York hotel. My next stay will be my fourth. That should say something.

Matthew

I recommend a hotel on Times Square. I usually stay at the Marriott Marquis, although last time I stayed at the Westin New York at Times Square (actually its a block or so off Times Square). (I also stayed at the Millenium Hilton across from Ground Zero, which had beautiful views but was not as conveniently located). The advantage of Times Square is not just being on the Square, but being within walking distance of Broadway and a lot of other locations (depending on how much you are willing to walk--Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue). Its very handy to be able to just walk off to the theater or other attractions and back to the hotel without having to worry about taxis or subways. Of course, to go farther afield, the subway has a major station on Times Square and taxis are readily available. The only problem I have had with the Mariott are incredibly slow and crowded elevators and the crowds can get a little annoying after a while. I did not have those problems at the Westin.

If this is your first trip to New York, I think you will get the best feel for the city if you stay near Times Square. Of course, to each his own.

You are right. Avoid Times Square. It was more interesting when it was full of peep shows and sleaze. Now it's like Disney Junior and chain restaurants. Family-friendly now, I reckon you could say, but the "charm" has been replaced by mass-market dreck.

Times Square area was pretty awful before they cleaned it up. But now it's positively squeaky clean-I wonder what Damon Runyon would say? Still, I like that tourists can go to Times Square and be comfortable. I just wish it didn't have every chain restaurant under the sun. It isn't 'New York' any more. It's Generica (generic America).

Catherine, I will second Paul's comment on the hop-on-hop-off bus tour for your first day. It will give you a sense of the city and what there is to see.

I can't recommend a hotel--I live 20 miles outside NYC, and never have to stay there. I don't know that I'd stay right in Times Square, but midtown is a good location if you want to see Fifth avenue or go to the theater. Do some research on what you want to see in the city, and then pick a hotel based on the area where you'll spend the most time.

It will be hot and muggy in NYC in August, so be prepared for summer weather very different than you're used to.

Kathy

We prefer to stay in Times Square when we are in New York because it is central to the things that we do in New York. Our favorite hotel is the Renaissance (Marriott) which is just a block or two from the Marquis and is less expensive, just as nice and not as crowded. Decide what you are going to do in NYC and choose a hotel that is central to those activities.

Steve

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will take a look at a map and see where we need to be.

Matthew - thanks for the run of house special tip. I have checked it out and we could get the Waldorf for only £165 a night including tax, which is an excellent deal compared to some of the rates I've seen elsewhere.

How far is the hotel to central park?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will take a look at a map and see where we need to be.

Matthew - thanks for the run of house special tip. I have checked it out and we could get the Waldorf for only £165 a night including tax, which is an excellent deal compared to some of the rates I've seen elsewhere.

How far is the hotel to central park?

Not precisely sure. But it is a very few minutes by taxi - I only know because most taxis seem to go through the park on the way to the Lincoln Center.

The Waldorf is on 49th street between Lexington and Park Avenue. Hope that helps.

Matthew

Catherine: My favorite place to stay in NY is the Algonquin--it is loaded with history, has very nice updated rooms and is located on 44th St between 5th and 6th Avenue--off the "beaten" path but close enough to walk to most of the city's major attractions. It is not one of the larger hotels in NY but is a charming carry-back to days of old. It even comes equipped with the legendary lobby cat, Matilda. They have had a Matilda there since it opened in the early 1900's when the legendary Round Table met there daily--great place if you are a literary buff. Just another suggestion--you might check out their website algonquinhotel dot com.

Bettie

Catherine,

I would advise you to steer clear of Time Square. It's a fun place to stroll around with a myriad of flashing lights, towering billboards and teeming crowds, but, I think you would be happier in a more residential area.

The Waldorf Astoria in a fine old New York City Hotel. You would be 12 blocks from Central Park, two blocks over to Fifth Avenue and ten up to 59th Street.

My British Cousins frequently stay at The Regency Hotel. This is a really nice spot with a terrific location on Park Avenue between 61 and 62 Street. Here you are very close to Central Park and only a short stroll from all the big stores on Fifth Avenue.

In addition you are very close to Bloomingdales, a wonderful New York Department Store located on 59th Street between Lexington and Third Avenue.

Another very nice hotel to consider is The Mark up on 77th Street between Madison and Fifth Avenue. This is a very nice area as well, here you are close to the Metropolitan Museum on 81 Street and 5th and the Guggenheim on 89 Street and Fifth. The dining room at the Mark is very cozy and the food is good, but there is also a great coffee shop nearby on Madison and 75 Street.

Perhaps you will consider both of these hotels in very residential sections of New York City.

Jonathan

Archived