Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Imperial Majesty Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 9th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Nice article, 4/2005 Cruise Travel

There is a very nice article on the Regal Empress in the April, 2005 issue of Cruise Travel by Peter Knego.

He goes on and on how nice older ships are. I fully agree. The dining room looks excellent in the picture as an example, and there are lots of other well appointed classic bits here and there.

I'm tempted to give the line a try.

It's too bad this line could not take on the SS Norway. She is down to just three boilers, (the damaged one could be perhaps be repaired but not replaced as they are too massive for modern shipyards to construct) and she could go into a 3 day service perhaps to Nassau and some other nearby islands where high speed would not matter.

Erik

Old March 26th, 2005, 04:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Thanks to this article I've given some thought to a pre-cruise cruise aboard the Royal Empress. I've been on many cruises with Holland America, the Orient Line, and such ... love those lines. But I also enjoy trying out older ships. I know what I'm getting when I book 'em, and I go for the adventure.

This looks like a neat ship to try out for the heck of it. And to do it PRE-cruise will kinda be fun, too.

Booked Future Cruises:
Volendam - 14-Day China & Japan - April 13, 2015

Old March 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Norway

It would really be wonderful if they would buy the Norway it is such a beautiful ship I would go on it again in a heartbeat. I would also like to try the royal empress if I catch a ship from Florida I think it would make a nice pre or post trip. Happy Sailing, Joy

Old April 2nd, 2005, 01:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm with Rev. Neal. Booking on the REGAL EMPRESS might just be an adventure. She is a classic, and may not be with us too much longer. I sure know what a wonderful time I had on the S.S. INDEPENDENCE seven months before she was taken out of service, and I know how I miss the feel of a ship's sheer and camber under my feet on a newbuild. And when I see photos of the REGAL EMPRESS' library, I think, oh, what a beautiful wood paneled room.

Who knows, Reverend, maybe I'll be sailing with you and not on a HAL ship!

Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

The photos look wonderful -- and trust me, she looks even better in person.

We were on the Empress a few years ago as part of my quest to travel on as many of the classic liners that were left. I wasn't expecting a whole lot as she was never a luxury liner. Was I ever surprised. The decor was beautiful and there were many hidden gems (such as original paintings and etchings in the dining room, the cozy Commodore Lounge, and even some wall panels, originally part of a lounge, still in their original location in what is now a cabin area).

Many of the cabins are bare-boned, yet they were perfectly fine. Many talk about the small size of the showers, but they were about the same size as the one we just had on Diamond Princess. I do suggest choosing your cabin carefully, and I'll be happy to answer any questions. I am one of those nuts who goes into empty cabins on disembarkation morning and takes notes.

24 years of cruising memories
Carnival (3) ~ Celebrity (3) ~ Cunard ~ Dolphin (2) ~ Holland America (6) ~ Majesty ~ Norwegian (11) ~ Premier (2) ~ Princess ~ Regal ~ Royal Caribbean (2)
Alaska (AK & BC Inside Passage) ~ Bahamas ~ Baltic ~ Bermuda ~ British Isles ~ Canada/New England ~ Caribbean (E, W, S) ~ Mediterranean (W) ~ Mexican Riviera ~ Norwegian Fjords/Arctic Circle ~ Transatlantic

Most recent cruise:
HAL VEENDAM, Canada/New England, August 2014
Next cruise: NORWEGIAN DAWN, Bermuda, August 2015 (25th wedding anniversary celebration!)

Old April 2nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi.

I tried to email you but it wouldn't accept it.

I, too, love to cruise on the original classic liners. We were on the Norway on her second-to-last cruise before the accident. Was on her three times. I was also on the Queen Elizabeth, United States, Ile De France, and a few others in the 1950s/1960s. I love the old classic liners, but do take cruises on these new "hotels on a hull" (twelve cruises in the past four years).

Can you tell me a few things?

1. What classic liners have you been on?

2. My wife and I are planning to take the two-night trip on the Regal Empress in Florida this June. Can you explain a bit about the better cabins and what to look for? We don't mind an inside as we don't spend much time there anyway.

3. Did you book this online at their website or can you do it through a travel agent?

4. You state you are from coastal New England. Although I now live in TEXAS, I was born and raised in Connecticut. Are you near there?

I do appreciate any information you can provide. If you'd rather do it via email, please let me know.

Thanks. Bill G (BH2359)

Old May 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Bill, my apologies. I only now noticed your last post on this thread. Please forgive me for taking so long to return your message.

Quote:
1. What classic liners have you been on?
These were all from 1993-2003: SeaBreeze (formerly Federico C), OceanBreeze (formerly Southern Cross), SS Norway, Regal Empress, and QE2. We also spent a couple of nights on Queen Mary in Long Beach earlier this year. I would have loved to travel on the liners you have. Lizzie is a favorite of a good friend of mine. I am a huge fan of the French Line and would have loved to have seen Ile de France in person.

Quote:
2. My wife and I are planning to take the two-night trip on the Regal Empress in Florida this June. Can you explain a bit about the better cabins and what to look for? We don't mind an inside as we don't spend much time there anyway.
Hope I'm not too late on this one -- the better cabins are on Upper Deck and above. I think I saw on another thread that you booked Sun Deck. That's a great choice.

Quote:
3. Did you book this online at their website or can you do it through a travel agent?
This is probably moot now, but I used a travel agent. Actually, when I went, the ship was owned by Regal Cruises -- before the time share thing.

Quote:
4. You state you are from coastal New England. Although I now live in TEXAS, I was born and raised in Connecticut. Are you near there?
Further north, in Massachusetts. What part of Connecticut were you from? (I grew up in NY.)

24 years of cruising memories
Carnival (3) ~ Celebrity (3) ~ Cunard ~ Dolphin (2) ~ Holland America (6) ~ Majesty ~ Norwegian (11) ~ Premier (2) ~ Princess ~ Regal ~ Royal Caribbean (2)
Alaska (AK & BC Inside Passage) ~ Bahamas ~ Baltic ~ Bermuda ~ British Isles ~ Canada/New England ~ Caribbean (E, W, S) ~ Mediterranean (W) ~ Mexican Riviera ~ Norwegian Fjords/Arctic Circle ~ Transatlantic

Most recent cruise:
HAL VEENDAM, Canada/New England, August 2014
Next cruise: NORWEGIAN DAWN, Bermuda, August 2015 (25th wedding anniversary celebration!)

Old May 14th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Lisa63, and anyone else.

I think I've told this elsewhere previously but i'll repeat it here as you stated you liked the Ile de France. My parents allowed me, as a young teenager, to take the train from Hartford, Connecticut to New York city alone. I'd then take a taxi to the piers and see the ships in port. At that time, for 50 cents, you could board any ship in port and walk around until the man with the gong came around saying "All ashore that's going ahore".

It was late autumn in 1956 when I took one of these trips. The Ile de France was one of the ships in port and this is when I got to go aboard her. After leaving the ship, I always went ot the end of the long pier and watched the tugs bring her out into the Hudson and then watched as she steamed down the Hudson for her journey.

By the time the ship was out of view and I was virtually alone at the end of this pier, I notice a tall pile of something covered by tarpaulins. Curious as I was, I lifted the tarp and found a number of upside down lifeboats piled there. The name on those lifeboats was Andrea Doria!

The Ile De France was the main rescue ship in July 1956 when the Stockholm collided with the Andrea Doria sending the Doria to the bottom. I'm guessing that the French Line simply had not yet returned those lifeboats to the Italian Line.

Had I had a screwdriver in hand, and some larceny in heart, I could have removed some of those lifeboat name tags. What a souvenir they would have made!

I prefer the classic French Line liners also but feel the Normandie was the most beautiful ever built.

As for the Regal Empress (ex Olympia), I do remember being in New York to see the Queen Elizabeth. (I'd only go when a superliner was in port on a Saturday or sunday.)

As I departed the Queen, noticed a smaller ship a couple piers down and paid another 50 cents to board her for a hour or so. This smaller ship was the Olympia.