The NCL Dream has struck a barge

FBFLORIDA

Since the Dream is sailing around the tip of South America this winter. I believe it's scheduled to be in Montevideo today, after departing Buenos Aires yesterday on a west bound itinerary. I also believe that's where the Infinity should be today. I'm not sure where the Marco Polo was scheduled to be today. It is also sailing in South America this winter.

Found this short article online:

"December 11, 2007 08:46am

A LUXURY cruise ship and a barge collided in Uruguay's main port today, sending several cars and containers off the barge and shutting the port down.

The Norwegian Dream cruise ship, owned by Miami-based NCL Corp, was leaving Montevideo when it collided with a barge being pulled by a tug, the navy said.

Navy divers were searching for the cars that fell of the barge.

"The collision caused five containers and several cars to fall in the water (and) the cruise ship received damages above the water line which do not appear serious," said Alejandro Anon, head of naval public relations.

According to Norwegian Cruise Line's website, the Norwegian Dream left Buenos Aires on Sunday and after Montevideo was planning to travel to southern Argentina and Chile."

I heard from my sister, she says they are still sitting outside Montivideo waiting for the channel to be cleared. The next 2 ports are cancelled and "sail the horn" has been taken off the agenda.

Their new tentative schedule has them at Montivdeo until 4pm tomorrow, at sail Thursday and Friday, back on schedule Saturday.

NCL has given $150 ship board credit per passenger and served free alcohol for an hour last night.

If she writes back with anything new, I will post it on the board.

Certainly a trip to remember.

Hopefully less damage than this...

The Dream had another fender- er, bow -bender?

"All I did was look down to change the radio station and this guy came out of nowhere!!" I bet this Captain's insurance rates will be through the roof... ;)

Seriously though - Hopefully no loss of life on the barge....

From what I understand this captain ran the ship waiting beside it aground last year. The Dream has a very visable hole in the hull. They hit head on. How about a little sympathy for the passengers on Infinity who are stuck there and the Marco Polo who is stuck in the channel?

From what I understand this captain ran the ship waiting beside it aground last year. The Dream has a very visable hole in the hull. They hit head on. How about a little sympathy for the passengers on Infinity who are stuck there and the Marco Polo who is stuck in the channel?

Are both those ships still stuck as well? Hopefully passengers on all the ships are making the best of it. Do you have any pictures?

How exactly would one explain to their insurance company that their car was hit by a cruise ship?

Knowing how insurance companies operate, they'll surely deny the claim, saying "we don't cover cars if they are on barges."

Insurance companies operate in only one business--selling policies.

Archived