Santiago or Valparaiso?

glorygaf

Chairsin - Can I ask you what you did in Castro, Chiloe Island. I quite fancy touring some of these splendid wooden churches but the ship's tour seems exorbitantly priced and not very good, spending too much time for lunch and shopping. I can't find any local tour agents so plan to wing it when we get there.

We walked to the park in Castro in front of the church. There is a taxi line there. We hired a taxi to take us to some of the places where the Seabourn tours go. If I recall, we went to Achao and Delcahue. Do a little research to decide what you want to see and negotiate a price with the taxi driver. I don't recall how much it cost, but it was a lot less than the excursion.

A word of caution. There are regular taxis and other cars that look like taxis but function more like a public bus with regular routes. So, don't flag one down because it is likely the bus-like one. Go to the park to get the taxi.

And don't forget to visit the church in Castro. It has doll-house size replicas of all the wooden churches in the island along the side naves.

Chairsin - Can I ask you what you did in Castro, Chiloe Island. I quite fancy touring some of these splendid wooden churches but the ship's tour seems exorbitantly priced and not very good, spending too much time for lunch and shopping. I can't find any local tour agents so plan to wing it when we get there.

We stayed in Castro in March. Just asked a taxi driver to take us to the places we wanted to see. The distances are not very long, so it's easy to go around.