Lunch Buffet

Cruisegirl6

One of the two MDRs is usually open for lunch, even on port days.

The buffets have a LOT of stuff and if there is something you know the ship has but you don't see, you can ask for it. (I don't always find munster cheese at the cheese station but they'll go look if I ask.) The one thing I haven't found on other cruise lines is HERRING for BREAKFAST!

Indian food omg my other half get sick on smelling curry, I also not like indian food. Is there a regular normal american meat carving on the buffet?

I will ask it this way maybe you all can help me...

1- Is there a meat carving

2- Are there meat entrees such as with chicken, turkey, pork and beef

3- How is the salad bar what is there

4- Do they have an assortment of vegetables or not

5- What type of drinks are complimentary at the buffet

6- How are the desserts

The buffets have a LOT of stuff and if there is something you know the ship has but you don't see, you can ask for it. (I don't always find munster cheese at the cheese station but they'll go look if I ask.) The one thing I haven't found on other cruise lines is HERRING for BREAKFAST!

While it used to be true that one MDR was open even on port days about two years ago NCL changed its policy to conform to what its major mass market competitors have been doing for years, and now the MDR is more likely to be closed than open on port days. It's a judgement call that can vary by ship and itinerary.

We have cruised the Sky three times in the last year and the MDR was closed on port days. One of the two MDRs was open on embarkation day. There are three different buffet locations on the Sky, the main buffet has two areas, one inside and one out. The outside has mainly cold cuts, burgers and snacks and the inside a very large selection of hot and cold dishes. The ll Adagio has a lunch buffet that was also open that serves pizza and pasta.

We wish our cruises were longer as there are always items on the menus and buffets that we wanted to try.

Indian food omg my other half get sick on smelling curry, I also not like indian food. Is there a regular normal american meat carving on the buffet?

6- How are the desserts

There are other meat selections and usually a carving station. There will be a good selection of salad items as well as fresh fruit and hot veggies. They have ice tea, lemonade, and flavored water as well as coffee, tea, and milk. The desserts are ok, some very good, some so-so.

Look for the crepe station at the buffet at night.

I have to be gluten free so if they have a meat carving (can any others confirm whether they did have a meat carving or not at the lunch buffet) and veggies and potato I will be fine.

Crepes!! I not sure whether I can have them but I think I can suffer once lol

I not care that much about desserts been on RC many cruises they not known for great desserts so it be the same thing for us regarding the desserts.

1- Is there ice cream and what time do they cut ice cream off

2- What time do they stop serving the complimentary drinks

I appreciate everybody's response in helping us with our questions.

6- How are the desserts

Yes, there will be a meat carving. Always choices of chicken, pork, seafood or beef. Also, vegetarian options. Lots of veggies. Also a salad bar. Free drinks: water, tea, iced tea, coffee, milk, hot chocolate, flavored waters. Desserts are nice. I don't care for desserts normally but I will have something when I am cruising. You will find gluten free, sugar free also.

1- Is there a meat carving yes

2- Are there meat entrees such as with chicken, turkey, pork and beef yes but not all at the same time usually

3- How is the salad bar what is there lettuce, olives, tomato, usual salad fixings, as well as some veggie pasta salads.

4- Do they have an assortment of vegetables or not YES! NCL does great in this area IMO.

5- What type of drinks are complimentary at the buffet water, coffee, tea is all I've noticed but apparently I've missed some!

6- How are the desserts eh, but that's how I find dessert on every cruise line

They also have pizza, burgers, excellent fries, cheese, breads, fruit bar. I love the Asian food section. There is a pasta bar with 3 types of noodles and 3 types of sauce: bolognese, a white one and a red one. Ice cream stations are open when the buffet is. Agree the poolside bbq is wonderful!

I think NCL food is among the best or at least it suits my tastes perfectly.

There is a soft serve ice cream machine at the back of the buffet, with toppings out, all day long. Also the complimentary drinks are in dispensers in the buffet (iced tea, lemonade, waters, coffee, milk) all day long... and in the morning there are juices there- orange and cranberry and possibly grapefruit.

Yes, there will be a meat carving. Always choices of chicken, pork, seafood or beef. Also, vegetarian options. Lots of veggies. Also a salad bar. Free drinks: water, tea, iced tea, coffee, milk, hot chocolate, flavored waters. Desserts are nice. I don't care for desserts normally but I will have something when I am cruising. You will find gluten free, sugar free also.

Good info...BUT--to clarify for the OP...the carving station..has one choice per meal...the other items mentioned by above poster..is available near the carving station...(just so the OP does not think all options are "fresh sliced"..if that is the correct term..;))

PS---I have always found some great items on the buffet...I love the selection..something for everyone...you will not go hungry:)

We just got off the Sun this past Sunday. The buffet carving station always had one selection. There was another carving station in the Great Outdoor Buffet that had a different selection. Then there were always other meats on the buffet line as well. The beef short ribs were out of this world. There were always hot dogs and hamburgers and sausages for lunch, and a sign said to ask for them at dinner if you wanted them. They did not cut off the ice cream. It was dipped.

Oh I so happy to hear they have a meat carving I assume its in the main buffet area inside?

You mean to say they have gluten free desserts?

I cannot eat hot dogs, burgers (filler), sandwiches etc as I need to be gluten free this is why the meat carvings, hot meat entrees and veggies are important to me.

So there is only one carving thats ok...as there are other meat entrees such as chicken, pork, beef, etc. Im assuming the other meat dishes besides the meat carving are all lets say prepared you just take what you want, if this is the case, thats totally fine with me too.

What is in the asian food section that sounds interesting.

My other half and father in law will love the pasta.

Am I right to assume the complimentary beverages are only available when the buffet is open and are closed say past 11pm?

Another question, sometimes I like to go up to the buffet dinner and get some cheese or something to snack late at night what time is the buffet dinner served till?

It sure is sounding a bit better than RC buffet, I getting real excited about this Breakaway.

Was on Sky this past weekend. Great mix of foods on the lunch buffet. Seemed to always be staple items such as pretzel rolls, chicken salad (or other) pre-made sandwiches, burgers, great hot dogs, fries, fresh salad bar. And there was a carving station with one item per day. One day some really good (better than Chick-Fil-A) waffle fries appeared!!! Many asian and indian selections as well.

I liked how they had small dishes with the selections which they were replacing often so you had much fresher food. Wasn't one big tray sitting there for hours.

Never tried the ice cream but it was there every time I went to the buffet. There was also a soft-serve machine near the pools.

Oh I so happy to hear they have a meat carving I assume its in the main buffet area inside?

You mean to say they have gluten free desserts?

I cannot eat hot dogs, burgers (filler), sandwiches etc as I need to be gluten free this is why the meat carvings, hot meat entrees and veggies are important to me.

So there is only one carving thats ok...as there are other meat entrees such as chicken, pork, beef, etc. Im assuming the other meat dishes besides the meat carving are all lets say prepared you just take what you want, if this is the case, thats totally fine with me too.

What is in the asian food section that sounds interesting.

My other half and father in law will love the pasta.

Am I right to assume the complimentary beverages are only available when the buffet is open and are closed say past 11pm?

Another question, sometimes I like to go up to the buffet dinner and get some cheese or something to snack late at night what time is the buffet dinner served till?

It sure is sounding a bit better than RC buffet, I getting real excited about this Breakaway.

lyndamar, has your travel agent noted your gluten free request on your reservation?

Beverages are available in the buffet 24 hours a day.

NCL has pickled herring, lox, creamcheese & Bagels at the breakfast buffet.

At lunch time, I've seen roast chicken, roast beef, amongst everything else under the sun.

jdvmd- No didn't mention because I always ok as long as I have meat carvings, meat dishes, veggies, potatoes and salad bar. At dinner I stick with the same but we will be dining in the specialty restaurants each evening, with maybe one evening trying the Manhattan Room which I saw does have steak on its menu. Thats nice hearing beverages are available 24 hours a day.

Chicken is great too for me. It sounds as if NCL has a decent variety of foods. :p

jdvmd- No didn't mention because I always ok as long as I have meat carvings, meat dishes, veggies, potatoes and salad bar. At dinner I stick with the same but we will be dining in the specialty restaurants each evening, with maybe one evening trying the Manhattan Room which I saw does have steak on its menu. Thats nice hearing beverages are available 24 hours a day.

Chicken is great too for me. It sounds as if NCL has a decent variety of foods. :p

They have an excellent variety. If you notify them ahead of time, that you are gluten free, they will go through everything with you and make sure you're taken care of. :)

Archived