Venice Hotel Recommendations

roothy123

I will be going 2 days early to Venice in late September 2015 and am looking for a reasonably-priced hotel. It does not have to be fancy, just clean and neat and fairly convenient to the main sights in Venice - or if not, easy to reach by public transportation, if it exists in Venice. I haven't been to Venice before so I have no idea what I want to see or where to stay. I thought I'd start with asking on Cruise Critic, as there are many helpful and knowledgeable people on here!

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Edited by roothy123

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Olimpia last month and were very pleased. (http://www.hotel-olimpia.com/) It is located in the Piazzale Roma so it is easy to reach from the airport via the ATVO bus. It is also convenient to a vaporetto stop. There was free wifi as well as a wonderful included breakfast. We booked early and found the rates to be reasonable in comparison to other hotels. It was a great choice for us.

We like Hotel Locanda Salieri near Pizzale de Roma. Great location close to Pizzale de Roma, Grand Canal, Vaporettos, and St Lucia station . Great in house trattoria .

Book on line via Hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions.

Thank you both. It looks like the Salieri is already booked up, or else they require more than a two or three day stay - wow! Crazy. I will try the Olimpia next. It looks like both hotels are in the same area. Is that a convenient area in which to be?

Hotel Scandinavian in Venice. get alliaguna taxi boat from airport cost 15 euro get off at San Zaccaria stop . then hotel 5 mins from there and same to San Marco square and Rialto bridge cost of hotel for family 1 large room was 160 euro in July this year staff v friendly hotel in a square would recommend this hotel

Sent from my N3 using Forums mobile app

Venice is VERY small. Regardless of where you stay, popular destinations are less than an hour's walk, or, 10 minutes walk if you use the vaporetto.

The deciding factor is luggage. If you can easily manage your luggage you can stay anywhere, but if you can't handle a few bridges, the Piazzale Roma area is the most convenient location. The PRoma is where buses, cars, taxis drop off passengers arriving from the airport .... it's as far as land vehicles can go in Venice. It's also where you catch the People Mover to the pier, or take a cab $25. Five minutes away. And the Grand Canal is only a block away.

So if you can't manage your luggage, stay nr PRoma. There are 2 hotels that don't require any bridge crossings and 3 or 4 that only have 1 small bridge to cross. You pay for that convenience tho, and some require 2 nites. If you can handle 2-3 bridges and can walk 15 minutes, you'll find much more affordable options.

This link is helpful

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

Edited by mapleleaves

We twice have stayed at the Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo, which is 50 flat yards from the San Stae (express) vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal. Perenially ranked in the top 10 on sister website tripadvisor, very reasonably priced, hands-on management by the friendly owners and close to some very nice restaurants. Easy to get to from Piazzale Roma by taking the express vaporetto which starts right from there so no trouble wheeling your luggage onboard.

Edited by CintiPam

Thanks, everyone, and keep the suggestions coming. Unfortunately, it appears that most of the hotels that are listed on a major hotel booking site are all full for the weekend I am looking for (end of September). I'm not sure what's going on, but I will keep looking. Lugging our suitcases won't be easy, but I guess that's what you do in Venice! Last night I looked at the information in Tom's Port Guides to get an idea of the layout of Venice. He has great information.

I made a reservation (that I can cancel) at one place, but am still looking, and will continue to look at a few places that really interest me. Do most of the hotels in Venice require more than a two day stay, especially for a weekend? I'm just curious why so may hotels are not showing as available. Has anyone ever emailed a hotel that appears full on a booking site to see if they have any rooms available, or a waiting list? I suppose I could try that, but it doesn't sound too promising.

In any case, additional suggestions are welcome, given that few rooms seem to be available - although late September is a long way off, so who knows what will happen, or if I'll even care where I stay by that time!

Edited by roothy123

Thanks, everyone, and keep the suggestions coming. Unfortunately, it appears that most of the hotels that are listed on a major hotel booking site are all full for the weekend I am looking for (end of September). I'm not sure what's going on, but I will keep looking. Lugging our suitcases won't be easy, but I guess that's what you do in Venice!

definitely email them directly. Many Venice hotels are small, privately owned, so on-line booking might not be open until several months prior. On our first visit I tried to book Pensione Guerrato recommended by Rick Steves .... when I emailed, they recommended their little apt which ended up being a better option for us.

if you just want a clean, no frills hotel, try the Hotel Santa Lucia. We checked it out for 'future use' but didn't go in any rooms. Clean and budget friendly.

Many rooms in Venice are basic .... no tv, no elevator.

Also, try http://www.venere..com/venice Plug in your dates and the area you're interested in.

George Clooney apparently like The Hotel Cipriani.

Well, that's a thought. I just looked them up and they have a few rooms available. I think it's a bit above my budget though - $1,680 for a regular room for 2! However, it IS waterside (on an island, with a view to the rest of Venice), and includes a full hot breakfast!

Edited by roothy123

We used the Hotel Arlecchino for two nights pre-cruise just a couple of months ago.

http://www.hotelarlecchino.com

Close to Piazzale Roma. We could see the hotel as soon as we stepped off the ATVO bus from the airport. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good selection for breakfast. Excellent free wi-fi. Room compact, but clean and perfectly adequate. We had a corner room, with one view down a canal, and one across to Piazzale Roma. Very pleasant.

Would definitely use it again if we ever return to Venice.

Another vote for the Hotel Arlecchino

Nice because you can use the bar and gardens of the Best Western Olympia next door

Polo Nord fantastic gelato at the side of the hotel

And another vote for Hotel Arlecchino. We stayed there for one night a couple of weeks ago after taking the train from Rome. Loved the location....clean, friendly and helpful staff and very nice breakfast included. Would definitely stay there again.

We had a tough time finding a hotel in Venice the last weekend of September this year.

We stayed a couple nights pre cruise at the Hotel Moresco. A lovely resort, with a fantastic staff, not too far from the People Mover. We only had to cross one bridge with our suitcases.

Post cruise we stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky. While very nice, we preferred the experience at the Hotel Moresco.

We had a tough time finding a hotel in Venice the last weekend of September this year.

We stayed a couple nights pre cruise at the Hotel Moresco. A lovely resort, with a fantastic staff, not too far from the People Mover. We only had to cross one bridge with our suitcases.

Post cruise we stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky. While very nice, we preferred the experience at the Hotel Moresco.

Thanks; Moresco is full all of Sept. 2015 according to their web site, unless they have just blocked off the whole month because September is so far away. However, I have been reading up on Venice on the Europe for Visitors site (thanks to whoever posted a link) and based on what's on there, what I did manage to find (Locanda Fiorita) isn't bad.

Did anyone leave a bag at one of the baggage storage locations (Piazelle Roma or the cruise terminal)? I'm sure I won't need my big bag until we board the ship, so I might consider checking a bag for 2 days.

Can anyone tell me how their experience was in getting from a hotel to the cruise port? At least the docking locations don't look too terribly far from San Marco. Did anyone dock at the alternate location in the canal rather than at the main cruise terminal?

Can anyone tell me how their experience was in getting from a hotel to the cruise port? At least the docking locations don't look too terribly far from San Marco. Did anyone dock at the alternate location in the canal rather than at the main cruise terminal?

We took a vaporetto from our hotel near the Grand Canal, switching at the Sta. Lucia (train station) for the vaporetto which circles around to San Basilio, where the smaller ships, such as the Azamara Quest, usually dock. From there, it is one small bridge and perhaps 50 total yards, to the terminal. For disembarkation, we took the same vaporetto around Marittima to Sta. Lucia, where we caught our train to Milan.

Edited by CintiPam

We took a vaporetto from our hotel near the Grand Canal, switching at the Sta. Lucia (train station) for the vaporetto which circles around to San Basilio, where the smaller ships, such as the Azamara Quest, usually dock. From there, it is one small bridge and perhaps 50 total yards, to the terminal. For disembarkation, we took the same vaporetto around Marittima to Sta. Lucia, where we caught our train to Milan.

Thank you, Pam. I wish I knew where we would dock, but since it's way too early to know that, I have to kind of guess, and then plan accordingly. I'm on the new Viking Star, which in number of passengers is between the Azamara/smaller Oceania ships and Oceania's larger ships like Marina. I'm guessing it might go to Basilio, but who knows? At least Marittima has the People Mover, which looks like a big help in getting from Piazelle de Roma to the dock. Things are a little fuzzier when it comes to Basilio, though! I'm also still unsure if I can take any luggage on a vaporetto. Can you, or do you have to leave it in the baggage area at Piazelle Roma? The Alilaguna airport boat looked good until I looked at the schedule and realized it takes at least an hour to get to where the hotel I reserved is. So I started looking at the airport buses and they're quick, but then I would need to get to the area of the hotel by vaporetto.

Whew! Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll figure things out eventually.

Thank you, Pam. I wish I knew where we would dock, but since it's way too early to know that, I have to kind of guess, and then plan accordingly. I'm on the new Viking Star, which in number of passengers is between the Azamara/smaller Oceania ships and Oceania's larger ships like Marina. I'm guessing it might go to Basilio, but who knows? At least Marittima has the People Mover, which looks like a big help in getting from Piazelle de Roma to the dock. Things are a little fuzzier when it comes to Basilio, though! I'm also still unsure if I can take any luggage on a vaporetto. Can you, or do you have to leave it in the baggage area at Piazelle Roma? The Alilaguna airport boat looked good until I looked at the schedule and realized it takes at least an hour to get to where the hotel I reserved is. So I started looking at the airport buses and they're quick, but then I would need to get to the area of the hotel by vaporetto.

Whew! Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll figure things out eventually.

You definitely can take luggage on board the vaporetto but it can be awkward as some routes are very crowded. On our last visit, we checked our bags at the airport and just took one small carry-on to our hotel. So your thinking is good about leaving your luggage at Piazzalle Roma, just for convenience sake.

We were very fortunate and booked the Hilton Molino Stucky for $135 on Hotwire. Great deal and amazing hotel, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. We took a water taxi from the airport, and then Alilaguna back (not there on a cruise). The Alilaguna blue line goes right to the cruise port, so be sure to check that out. They are equipped to handle luggage where the vaporettos are not. Having said that, we have taken the vaporettos with luggage on the outer lines with no problem. Just don't take routes 1 or 2!

I'm also still unsure if I can take any luggage on a vaporetto. Can you, or do you have to leave it in the baggage area at Piazelle Roma? The Alilaguna airport boat looked good until I looked at the schedule and realized it takes at least an hour to get to where the hotel I reserved is. So I started looking at the airport buses and they're quick, but then I would need to get to the area of the hotel by vaporetto.

There are size restrictions for luggage on the vaporetto. The info is in the link I posted earlier, veniceforvisitors. This MAY be enforced, just as there MAY be someone checking that tickets are validated)

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-vaporetto-tips-and-warnings.htm

We only travel with a small wheeled case and daypack so we didn't have any problems, but some stops are crowded and people get pushy.

Another option to check for accommodation is Mestre, which is the last town on the mainland before you cross the bridge into Venice. ATVO has an express bus to Mestre from the airport for 6E and when you want to sightsee Venice is only 15 minutes away by bus or train, for 2E or less. And a cab right to the pier will be about 20E. Mestre hotel info is on the veniceforvisitor link or use venere.com/mestre.