Medical center onboard

honey8572

On the Norwegian Coastal route, as the ship stops several times per day, there is no medical center on board, if there is a problem there is the possibility to see a doctor in a port of call. I've never had to use it so I'm not sure what they do in this case, if they call a doctor on board for you or if they send you to the doctor's office. They may have the necessity to deal with an onboard injury but that would be it.

On the expedition trips there is a medical center on board with a doctor and a nurse.

No, as above, because they are so close to shore, and have so many stops daily, there is not a traditional ship's hospital or clinic on board. The staff can provide basic first aid.

When I was on my Coastal cruise in 2015, a friend was taken ill after we left Trondheim on the southbound leg of the voyage. They took her off the ship at the next stop, and flew her by helicopter back to the hospital in Trondheim. The problem was diagnosed there in their ER, and treated (fortunately it was not serious) and she was flown by plane back to the next stop and reboarded the ship, rejoining her husband who remained aboard. She told me she felt well looked after by the crew in coordinating all of this.