Shopping for Jewelry?

compuhic

I bought a designer ring a Sophia Fiori, 1 1/2 carat center with blue and smaller size diamonds surrounding it. My dh and I weren't sure if it was a "good deal" but I loved it so much and knowing I couldn't get it in the states I had to have it.

Once I got home and took it to my jeweler of 20 years he was amazed and said it was a gorgeous purchase and good price. I saw it on the ship where they recommend jewelry stores. I bought it on St. Maarten at the Venetian store. On our next trip is in 6 weeks to the Caribbean and I will be buying more jewelry. Right now I'm searching the web for what I want.

Good luck!

WE will be on St. Thomas the day before, better jewelry shopping in St.thomas or St. Marteen. Just wondering if I should wait. Thanks in the advance for the help.

We just arrived home today. We also stopped in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. The only places we would buy jewelry in St. Thomas is at Imperial Jewelers(ask for Nick) at 5120 Dronningens and in St. Maarten, Ballerina Jewelers at 56 Front St.(ask for Raj Lala). We completely trust them for the quality and prices of their pieces, which is very important when buying..................Voltdoc

All regular SXM visitors will have their favorite jewelers. I have to recommend our favorite shop; Shiva’s/Trident on Front Street, (and also in Aruba), who have the distinction of being one of only two Caribbean members of the Leading Jewelers of the World organization.

There is one member in St. Thomas, Magnum Jewelers, and then the Alwani Family's Shiva's/Trident stores in St. Maarten and Aruba.

We've been visiting St. Maarten since 1981, and dealing with the Alwani family, which owns both Shiva's and Trident, across from each other on Front Street, for well over 15 years. We really appreciate their attention, the selection and the great prices. They specialize in upscale pieces and larger diamonds, but have a great overall selection, especially in nice loose stones.

Your best tool is education. Learn about diamonds and other jewels for what makes a quality stone or setting. Learn about the ‘Four C’s’. Run down to your local jeweler before you leave and look at the items that you may be interested in buying. Learn all that you can about the pieces. Check what their price is when they have their “50% off” and the "we pay the sales tax" sales. Remember, no sales tax down island -- that by itself would save well over $100 on a $1500 purchase here in California.

When you get to SXM, visit the shops and price the items you checked out at home. Compare prices along Front Street, the service from the various shops, and how comfortable you feel with the sales staff. Also check out how cold their free beers are.

For us this means buying from Shiva's. If you go, be sure to ask for Gary and Mary Ann's special discount. Work with any of their crew, but ask if Ajay or Varkha are available for special treatment.

gary

p.s. We also shop at Ballerina. Say hello to Raj.

Can anyone tell me some of the best places to buy jewelry in St Martin? Also, is it true that I should advoid the stores recommended by the cruse line due to higher prices? Thanks for any help!!

We shop at Kay's jewelers on Front street. Ask for Sam.. Tell him barbara & Bob from Brooklyn sent you and we will see him in February. Sam is very fair. They have many pieces that are different and if you go back at a later date, they will exchange any pieces that you are not happy with or upgrade them.

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well add our choice. Oro Diamante on Front Street. We were staying on the island and everybody in the store was also and had been shopping with them for years. We were very happy with the prices and the treatment.

WE will be on St. Thomas the day before, better jewelry shopping in St.thomas or St. Marteen. Just wondering if I should wait. Thanks in the advance for the help.

We found the shopping in St Martin to be more pleasant, easier to bargin and less pressure. St Martin is the best port that we have been to for high end jewerly shopping.

To the questions from the OP

We also love DK Gems and Majesty (both recommened by the cruise line).

A couple of general tips:

Many stores will offer you a discount if you pay for some or all of your purchase in cash. However, I recommend using your credit card to puchase because your credit card will most likely offer you a better back up than the cruise line. Call your credit card company and find out the rules before you leave.

What cruise line are you sailing? I would go to cruisedailies.com and under the daily planners they often post the shopping guides that are offered by the cruise line. You can see what stores the cruise line recommends. If you know what you are looking for, you can look up the store on line and email them to ask before you arrive.

The cruise lines are often paid to endorse stores. One word, we found Diamond International not to be the hotspot that the ships would have you believe. I think their prices are higher than a lot of other stores.

Overall, St Martin is a terriffic shopping experience. You will really enjoy it.

Can anyone tell me some of the best places to buy jewelry in St Martin? Also, is it true that I should advoid the stores recommended by the cruse line due to higher prices? Thanks for any help!!

I always stop by and visit Vicky (Vishal Chanlani) at The Jewerly Outlet, he is now at 7A Front Street. I was just there last week with a group of 33 freinds and we all found something we wanted there. I have had 3 friends who bought their last year too! I did have a stone that was loose last year, but he fixed it with no problems. That means a lot to me!~

Tell him Brenda says Hi!

Barely a year ago I bought a blue diamond ring from Vicky at Jewelry Outlet, ongoing dispute was not resolved until almost eight months later with help of GTaylor, Citicard and Tourist Board. Vicky gave extremly poor follow up service after exiting the store. Please use your credit card in all purchases, keep all correspondence, and even then credit card will only intervene on case by case basis. A beautiful souvenir became a bitter sales experience.

We usually stay on the island so do not choose jewelers from ship rec but I do let them know i am staying on the island and come back every year. Over the years I have tried several but Majesty is my personal favorite. I have purchased watches, rings and necklaces and earrings and They have helped me replace stones in settings as well as help choose settings for loose stones. They have called to see if i was satisfied and now they periodically send me emails and offers when something special is coming up. I will see them in March when we cruise there for the first time.

We've purchased from Majesty twice and been happy. Last time we went to Ballerina based on some recommendations and really liked the people there and the selection. We've also heard nice things about Shiva & Trident but didn't see exactly what we were looking for there.

All regular SXM visitors will have their favorite jewelers. I have to recommend our favorite shop; Shiva’s/Trident on Front Street, (and also in Aruba), who have the distinction of being one of only two Caribbean members of the Leading Jewelers of the World organization.

There is one member in St. Thomas, Magnum Jewelers, and then the Alwani Family's Shiva's/Trident stores in St. Maarten and Aruba.

We've been visiting St. Maarten since 1981, and dealing with the Alwani family, which owns both Shiva's and Trident, across from each other on Front Street, for well over 15 years. We really appreciate their attention, the selection and the great prices. They specialize in upscale pieces and larger diamonds, but have a great overall selection, especially in nice loose stones.

Your best tool is education. Learn about diamonds and other jewels for what makes a quality stone or setting. Learn about the ‘Four C’s’. Run down to your local jeweler before you leave and look at the items that you may be interested in buying. Learn all that you can about the pieces. Check what their price is when they have their “50% off” and the "we pay the sales tax" sales. Remember, no sales tax down island -- that by itself would save well over $100 on a $1500 purchase here in California.

When you get to SXM, visit the shops and price the items you checked out at home. Compare prices along Front Street, the service from the various shops, and how comfortable you feel with the sales staff. Also check out how cold their free beers are.

For us this means buying from Shiva's. If you go, be sure to ask for Gary and Mary Ann's special discount. Work with any of their crew, but ask if Ajay or Varkha are available for special treatment.

gary

After having some interaction with Gary on this forum and through email, we decided to contact the folks at Shiva' about our trip there this past November.

The DW and I were celebrating our 10th, and looking for new diamond bands. While Ajay was out of town, he had notified Ron that we would be coming, and we were treated like royalty.

They went as far as to do some work on her engagement ring, as well as cleaning it at no charge just so it would look wonderful next to the rings she was trying on. We got a great deal as well.

I would highly recommend them, and we will certainly be going back in the future. Being recommended by the Taylor's definitely carries some weight with the Alwani's.

BTW, if you go, ask them if you can see the largest diamond in the Caribbean. We have pictures with the DW wearing this 25 Carat monster.

Regards,

Chef

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - we just got back and were in St. Maarten for the day. I tried many of the shops folks recommended on this board...and wound up at Colombia Emeralds Internation for a couple of emerald pieces (I did not like the color or selection in any of the other stores - and I probably walked into 85% of them). But - found an ammolite ring and a blue diamond ring at Venetian which turned out to be our favorite store!!!! And we will go back!!!! Ask for Bennet - she was wonderful and gave us an awesome price!!!!

I bought a blue and white diamond ring and a blue and white diamond necklace from Vicky from Jewelry Outlet and seeing Dott's review, I'm afraid of what I might find out if I went to get them appraised. I'm curious about other's experience with this jeweler.

• 6 months later...

gary

Gary,

Thank you for such valuable information. I am going to St Martin in a couple of months and am looking forward to checking out Shiva's. I am looking for a diamond necklace. I'm not really one to collect jewelry, so this is really going to be a special purchase.

Thanks again!!!

Debbi

Interesting to see this thread pop up again.

I should note that my contact person at Ballerina is Ravi, not Raj.

And, for the record, the largest stone that Ajay had in the shop on our last visit was a 'tiny' 10 carat, that he had sold to a person in New York City for a mere $800,000 and Jay was flying out to deliver it personally.

Shiva's also has necklaces. I believe that all of these are in the 'Under $500,000 range.

th_necklace1.jpg th_necklace2.jpg th_necklaceplus.jpg

(click)

gary

Interesting to see this thread pop up again.

I should note that my contact person at Ballerina is Ravi, not Raj.

And, for the record, the largest stone that Ajay had in the shop on our last visit was a 'tiny' 10 carat, that he had sold to a person in New York City for a mere $800,000 and Jay was flying out to deliver it personally.

Shiva's also has necklaces. I believe that all of these are in the 'Under $500,000 range.

th_necklace1.jpg th_necklace2.jpg th_necklaceplus.jpg

(click)

gary

What can I say...the search function was finally working!!! Do you know if any of your jewelers carry Tissot watches? DH has his heart set on one and can barely contain himself until our cruise.

Deb

P.S. I'm originally a So Cal girl....

I don't think that either Shiva's or Ballerina carry Tissot, but my watch of choice is Tag Heuer, and Goldfinger's, where I always pop in to see what is available, carries Tissot, I believe.

It's just a couple of doors down Front Street from Shiva's.

gary

Archived