FLL - RCCL Luggage Valet and AirTran/Southwest

ppfqp

Does anyone have experience with using Royal Caribbean's luggage valet service in Fort Lauderdale? We're returning on the Liberty of the Seas and are suite guests so qualify for the free luggage valet service where you check your bags on the ship and don't have to worry about them until your flight lands at your destination. We'd like to take advantage of it.

However, my concern is that we have a joint AirTran/Southwest ticket. (Air Tran FLL-ATL, and Southwest ATL-SAT) We booked it with Southwest, so Southwest policies apply (no baggage fees, check in 24 hours in advance) But since it is an AirTran operated flight out of Ft. Lauderdale, I'm concerned that there will be a mix up with the bags. We don't want to get charged the AirTran bag fee because we're checking the bags (on the ship) with AirTran. As I understand it, the luggage valet service automatically charges any applicable airline fees (such as baggage fees) to your sea pass.

Anyone have experience with this situation? I'm thinking we should just forgo the convenience of the luggage valet service so that we can ensure that the bags fly free (per our Southwest booking) when we check in at the counter with AirTran. But it sure would be nice not to have to wrangle with the suitcases that day.

Thanks for any advice.

Normal procedure when booking thru one airline, but flying on another, is that you are subject to the rules of the airline whose plane you are actually flying on. So you would be subject to AirTran's rules and fees.

Not sure if the merger would alter this procedure.

Not from actual experience with this exact scenario, but when you check in for the Valet service - you will know whether they are going to charge you or not. If they don't seem to go along with what you believe to be the correct situation, just tell them never mind.

And as you already know - if you've booked with Southwest - their policy applies even if you're flight is on an Airtran leg. (we've done this several times)

We're flying Southwest out of FLL after our next cruise, so may take advantage of this there.

Not from actual experience with this exact scenario, but when you check in for the Valet service - you will know whether they are going to charge you or not. If they don't seem to go along with what you believe to be the correct situation, just tell them never mind.

And as you already know - if you've booked with Southwest - their policy applies even if you're flight is on an Airtran leg. (we've done this several times)

We're flying Southwest out of FLL after our next cruise, so may take advantage of this there.

Thanks -- good advice.

Normal procedure when booking thru one airline, but flying on another, is that you are subject to the rules of the airline whose plane you are actually flying on. So you would be subject to AirTran's rules and fees.

Not sure if the merger would alter this procedure.

The OP didn't ask if ATs baggage fee applies to a booking made on Southwests website. The OP knows it doesn't. I'll give you a link to avoid debating the point.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=network_connectivity_policies&question=netconpol02

I'm not sure why some people post when they have no idea if the "facts" they post are accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

So... This is what happened. We were "kicked out" of the luggage valet program by the airline. Whether AirTran or Southwest, we'll never know. All we know is that late on the last night -- after many calls to the concierge who assured us it was being taken care of, and then finally standing in line at guest services, we were informed that we were not eligible. Bummer. My parents, who were flying home on US Airways, did use it with no problem.

Just curious, how was your flight with Southwest (and connection). I am looking to book an upcoming flight. We have another Southwest connection to make in Atlanta with a 40 minute stopover and am concerned about making this flight. Am I correct in reading that you do not get a seat assigned, but pick a seat upon boarding?

Just curious, how was your flight with Southwest (and connection). I am looking to book an upcoming flight. We have another Southwest connection to make in Atlanta with a 40 minute stopover and am concerned about making this flight. Am I correct in reading that you do not get a seat assigned, but pick a seat upon boarding?

Our flight was great. (The airport in FLL not so much. The crowds and construction that day were awful.) We were connecting in Atlanta and had plenty of time. Everything very smooth.

To answer your question about seat assignments: It depends on who is operating the flight, I guess. In our case, it was an AirTran flight from FLL to Atlanta (although we booked through Southwest) and we had assigned seats. It was a Southwest flight from Atlanta to San Antonio and no assigned seats.

But yes, when you fly Southwest, you are not assigned a seat. You sit wherever you want when you board. We fly quite often with Southwest and have no problem with their system. We are always diligent about checking in exactly 24 hours in advance to get our boarding passes and always get an A or high B boarding number and find "good" seats when we get on board.

The 40 minutes seems tight, but is likely very doable. Walk off one plane to another gate and board the next plane. Of course, on any given day, there are weather and other issues that cause snarls, but we have always had excellent experiences with Southwest.

That suggests, then, that RCI's scheme is subject to the same constraints as HAL's. See this post: Detailed Luggage Direct Information.

Maybe - we were never told why. We heard from 3 different people that they don't know why it happens (concierge, guest services manager, and baggage program manager). But given our situation, I would caution anyone with this particular combination (mixed flights on Southwest/Air Tran until the merge is complete) that they may not be able to use the luggage valet program.