Live from the Sapphire - May 12, LA to Vancouver

Coral

Live from the Sapphire Princess

We are currently on the LA to Vancouver Coastal cruise and are staying on the ship for the next 2 cruises to Alaska.

We flew out Friday afternoon and arrived at the LAX Marriott late Friday night. We booked it through Princess as we would be getting in late. We have stayed here before and it was a predictable hotel. We had to have our luggage ready at 8:00 am for pickup which sort of ruined my idea of sleeping in. Our note that was given out said that Princess people would be available at 9 am in order to check in with them to get the bus slot. I walked by at 8 am and they had already given out the blue cards for the first bus by 8 am. Not sure when they actually started working that morning.

We ended up trading our green cards for the blue cards and had a 12:00 bus which left around 12:15. We were fully check-ed in and on the ship by 1:15. We went right to the dining room as we were starving after traveling the day before. We had a great lunch and the dining room was pretty full.

We were exhausted when we got onboard. We usually travel 2 days before and couldn't this time. We usually take a morning flight and took an afternoon flight and ended up arriving very late at the hotel and didn't get much sleep. So we boarded a little later then normal and the ship sailed earlier then most sailings we have been on. I felt like we went from getting on the ship to lunch to muster to dinner and then to sleep all within a few hours. Oh, and we packed a ton of clothes for CA and then to cover Alaska.

We signed up for 6:15 dining and all early dining is 5:30 on this ship. Early for us. We have great table mates on this cruise! Service has been very good. The prime rib dinner last night was the worst prime rib I have had on the ship (probably another roast on the ship was good but ours was awful). Tonight was formal night and I had the filet (mignons of tenderloin?) and it was probably the best I have had on Princess. Tonight was also banana foster.

We did an all day tour in Santa Barbara today and am exhausted from it. It was cool in Santa Barbara (maybe 60 at best) but in Solvang it was mid 70s and gorgeous.

We had a winery tour tomorrow booked for SFO and am glad we cancelled it. I have been to SFO many times and we decided to just stay on the ship. We will sleep in and try out the new pizzeria on Deck 5. I am still trying to find things after the redesign. The tour desk has moved and I tried to find the Captain Circle Host today and never found it.

I ordered flowers today on the ship and they arrived this evening and are gorgeous! They are much taller then normal as they don't fit in the normal place I put them.

We are in E731 and had this same cabin 18 months ago for Christmas and New Years. It looks the same except for the flat screen tvs. The beds are still the old type and I have an egg crate mattress pad which helps! I miss having CNN on then TV line up.

Captain is Nick Carlton and CD is Billy Hygate. The staff on the ship seem happy and everyone is friendly.

I'm so jealous! I was on her yesterday for the Bon Voyage Experience and must have just missed you in the dining room. The Sapphire looked fabulous and the renovations are terrific. Have a great cruise.

Looking forward to reading more from you.

Were you supposed to have staggered boarding? I was wondering how Princess is going to handle this with their transfers from the hotel.

We were not informed of staggered boarding.

I'm so jealous! I was on her yesterday for the Bon Voyage Experience and must have just missed you in the dining room. The Sapphire looked fabulous and the renovations are terrific. Have a great cruise.

Thank you for posting live. I was also on the Sapphire BVE yesterday and I hated not being able to go with you to Vancouver. Enjoy your cruise!

Wow - we were in the same dining room probably at the same time and we could have met! So close!

The ship does look great. Horizon Court and Deck 5 look great! I really haven't spent much time walking around yet. Hopefully today.

Lunch was excellent in the dining room the first day. I love having a soufflé for dessert.

Live from the Sapphire Princess

The prime rib dinner last night was the worst prime rib I have had on the ship (probably another roast on the ship was good but ours was awful).

It was not just your roast that was bad. We were on the Sapphire from May 5th through the 12th and we always look forward to the prime rib. What a disappointment! It was tough and tasteless. Not at all like what we have experienced before on Princess.

Hi Coral!!

Gosh - it has been a long time sonce we've chatted. I am really interested in your posts because Garrit and I are on a September Sapphire cruise tour. I have booked PS A104 so if you can sneak a peek or get some shots of that balcony - I will owe you :)

Is your mom also onboard? Have a great time!

Maureen

Coral beat me to the live post.

My first time online today, been busy.

Just docking now in SF,getting ready to start our day.

I did not read the other posts, but...

Captain is Nick Carlton and CD is Billy Hygate for those that wanted to know. I have no idea if they are staying on for next cruise to AK.

Cruise critic meetings have been great, fun group.

Coral and Arizonaperson - If either of you eat at Sabatini's would you mind posting the name of the dessert on their menu that is a layered dessert consisting of thin crisp cookie-like wafers and cream. I believe the name begins with an "S" and it was maybe the third dessert down on the menu. DH said it was the best dessert he has ever eaten and I would love to search for the recipe but without a name that would be impossible. Would sure appreciate it if you get the chance.

Today is San Francisco

We decided to stay on the ship today. I went outside for a short time and came back on. It is cool and cloudy out with a slight mist.

We ate at the new pizzeria today (deck 5). I really wanted to like this as I loved the pizzeria on the Sun Class ships but have to say that they don't come close to measuring up to the Sun Class ships pizzeria. I ordered a pizza with buffalo mozzarella and it tastes different then what we have back home. Not sure who is right but this had a creamy consistency like a thin cream cheese. I can't believe pepperoni is not one of the items to choose from. We had the Sapphire Pizza which had ham (minus the cherry tomatoes) and had shaved parmesan cheese which literally was a ton of shaved cheese. Service was great here. The area was very comfortable and cute. Princess if you are reading this - keep this venue but bring the menu over from the Sea/Sun/Dawn Princess. Much better menu. We will definitely be eating here again but it is not a favorite place like on the Sun Princess. I will order regular mozzarella on the pizza next time. The pizzeria was staffed very well and very friendly.

I walked through the buffet today and while not a buffet person, I have to say it looked fabulous! The re-design is great, the colors look wonderful and the display of food looks better then before. They seem to have fewer items but they are not crammed together as much as before. Todays items looked pretty darn good (sirloin beef tip, fried shrimp, etc…) Kudos for the new design.

2pbears - I didn't ask around but my prime rib was pretty sad. I ordered mine rare-medium rare and it was all brown, tough and I agree - tasteless. I may try it one more time as we are on the ship for 2 more weeks but this was a huge disappointment. Though last night, my filet in the dining room was fabulous and cooked perfectly! I will stop by Sabatinis and try to figure out the dessert.

Maureen - I haven't chatted with you but I can say I have followed some of your posts and it sounds like you and Garret have had some fabulous adventures! Antarctica! I will see if I can get in that room on turn around day. Marilyn (mii) had a front suite on a sailing and she posted pictures several years ago. It is an odd room, but large. I read that you got an upsell months in advance which is really weird. I am sure you will enjoy it! Yes - my mom is with me on this sailing

As posted the CD is Billy Hygate. Next week it is supposed to be David Cole.

One of my favorite head waiters (Rafael from Mexico City) left recently for vacation. Sorry to have missed him.

Doug - sorry we are not on the same ship!

There must be a lot of people on this sailing continuing on to the Diamond Princess in Vancouver (doing RT Seattle for one voyage) as that was one of the choices for disembarkation options. The PSA prevents people from doing our cruise and one Alaskan cruise but we are staying on for 2 sailings so we are ok (though I heard several people say that they enquired with their TA about doing the next 2 and were told they couldn't do it. I have also met 3 couples who are doing all 3 cruises like we are.

Theresa

Thanks for the Sapphire Live! report. We love the Sapphire and like what they did at the recent dry dock.

We were on the Sapphire a few weeks ago and I set down my library book (not Sapphire library, my local County library) while disembarking and it's lost! Princess didn't find it in the lost and found so I'm thinking someone assumed it was from the ships library and so maybe it's there.

I know it's only a 7 day cruise and you have plenty to do but if you are in the library please look to see if it's there.

'Already Gone' by John Rector. It will say Santa Clara County Library. Let me know if you find it.

Thanks!!!

Coral and Arizonaperson - If either of you eat at Sabatini's would you mind posting the name of the dessert on their menu that is a layered dessert consisting of thin crisp cookie-like wafers and cream. I believe the name begins with an "S" and it was maybe the third dessert down on the menu. DH said it was the best dessert he has ever eaten and I would love to search for the recipe but without a name that would be impossible. Would sure appreciate it if you get the chance.

Sabayon?

Hi Coral - Doug mentioned you are on the Sapphire. We will be on a July Alaskan cruise. Other than the flat screens, it seems that there were not any other changes to the cabins? We will be in a mini-suite, Dolphin deck.

Thanks in advance for any additional information.

Thanks for the Sapphire Live! report. We love the Sapphire and like what they did at the recent dry dock.

We were on the Sapphire a few weeks ago and I set down my library book (not Sapphire library, my local County library) while disembarking and it's lost! Princess didn't find it in the lost and found so I'm thinking someone assumed it was from the ships library and so maybe it's there.

I know it's only a 7 day cruise and you have plenty to do but if you are in the library please look to see if it's there.

'Already Gone' by John Rector. It will say Santa Clara County Library. Let me know if you find it.

Thanks!!![/quote

I am on for 3 weeks so I can try to look.

Archived