Viking Pride Grand European Tour review

BLTSAT

We just got back on July 2nd from our river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam with the 3 day pre-cruise and extended stay with Viking. We had a great time and loved the trip. I want to write a complete review but don't have the time right now. I hope to write it in the next few days, maybe in parts so have patience with me. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them as soon as I can. We didn't have any major problems with Viking and would cruise with them again. They asked on their questionaire anything they could improve on, so we wrote a few things. Both Hiltons in Budapest and Amsterdam were excellent. The service and people at the hotels were great. Always helpful and cheerful. No language problems on our trip. We only had one problem outside of Budapest in a little town that didn't speak hardly any English but we had a personal guide so that helped. Most people want to talk to you in English for them to practice it. Even the little kids. In one town, we saw three little kids with ice cream and wanted to know where they got it, since it looked so good. They were tickled pink when we asked them for directions. It was cute all three of them trying to speak in English. They did a very good job of it and we found the place. :)

I'm sorry I can't write more now but look for my postings soon. It's hard to get caught up on things after being away for 3 weeks.

Sandy

We just got back on July 2nd from our river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam with the 3 day pre-cruise and extended stay with Viking. We had a great time and loved the trip. I want to write a complete review but don't have the time right now. I hope to write it in the next few days, maybe in parts so have patience with me. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them as soon as I can. We didn't have any major problems with Viking and would cruise with them again. They asked on their questionaire anything they could improve on, so we wrote a few things. Both Hiltons in Budapest and Amsterdam were excellent. The service and people at the hotels were great. Always helpful and cheerful. No language problems on our trip. We only had one problem outside of Budapest in a little town that didn't speak hardly any English but we had a personal guide so that helped. Most people want to talk to you in English for them to practice it. Even the little kids. In one town, we saw three little kids with ice cream and wanted to know where they got it, since it looked so good. They were tickled pink when we asked them for directions. It was cute all three of them trying to speak in English. They did a very good job of it and we found the place. :)

I'm sorry I can't write more now but look for my postings soon. It's hard to get caught up on things after being away for 3 weeks.

Sandy

Sandy!!! we are doing the very same cruise on the new ship. "pride" next june 20th plus 3 nights in amsterdam. any info you pass on will be very, very helpful in our planning. look forward to your postings. we just got home from london ( 14 days on jewel of the seas, baltic countries) 20 hours in transit. so we know how you feel!!!!!!! once you feel better please feel free to email us any good info. alicedean2001@msn.com

Best wishes,

Dean & Alice

Oh no, we are off on the Grand European Tour on the Viking Pride tomorrow! Wish you had had time to write a review. I`m sure we`l find out soon enough though. Glad you enjoyed it.

Have a great time and please post info. on your return!:cool:

would like to know if there is any way to chill wine in our cabin? the $14 corkage fee is a bit over the top! I assume there is a ice bucket in each cabin..is it large enough to contain a wine bottle with ice? thanks in advance!

Dean

would like to know if there is any way to chill wine in our cabin? the $14 corkage fee is a bit over the top! I assume there is a ice bucket in each cabin..is it large enough to contain a wine bottle with ice? thanks in advance!

Dean

ddean,

If you do not have a small refrigerator in your cabin (some ships have)...then most of the cabin ice buckets I recall were small. You might use the waste basket, as they are almost always plastic buckets. If not, save a plastic bag and line the waste basket with it to hold the melting ice water.

That should work... or ... worst case, pick up a cheap large plastic bucket or a paper paint bucket (or a large KFC bucket) while you are on tour ... any of these costing less than 14.00 and you're ahead!

Jerry

corkage fee only applies to wine drunk in the dining room. In the room or on the sun deck there is usually no charge. Don't think the line would appreciate passengers bringing a glass of wine from their cabin to the dining room. Many wines on the local economy are $10 or less. When you add the corkage fee, it can be cheaper than on the dining room wine list.

Sandy

Sandy. did you arrive same day as embarkation? how long did it take to embark ship? how long until you could get into cabin? how long till luggage arrived in cabin? did you take the small 'stretch you legs" walking tour provided by viking on embarkation day. sorry about all the questions/....lol... i have many others.:D

Dean

I have tried to post two times and neither has shown up on the board. One was last weekend and I just tried again about a half hour ago. So I'm just typing this out to see if it shows up. My patience is running thin right now. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Sandy

Well it worked that time. I guess I'm writing too long that it won't post it or taking too long to write it.

Dean, I had answered all your questions plus some on my last reply. Try again short and sweet this time. We did the 3 day pre-cruise in Budapest so we were transported from the Hilton to the boat on Sunday at around 2-3pm. Check in went fast. They basically gave you your card keys and name tags. Your name tags has a number one, two or three which is your bus number when you're on bus tours. They deliver your suitcases to your cabin outside your door.

We had taken a collapsible cooler with us. If it wasn't going to fit in our suitcases, we would use it as a carry on. We took a gallon ziplock bag and kept filling it with ice from the machine, that is located at the end of the hall, on the second deck, by the stairs that go up putside the dining area. It kept our bottled sodas and wine cold while on board the ship. I had bought a $1 wine screwer at Walmart. It did the job and still works. The room stewards aren't allowed to fill your coolers with ice.

Sorry, but I have to go again. One of these times I'll get this trip all on this site. Hope I answered some of your questions.

Sandy

Well it worked that time. I guess I'm writing too long that it won't post it or taking too long to write it.

Dean, I had answered all your questions plus some on my last reply. Try again short and sweet this time. We did the 3 day pre-cruise in Budapest so we were transported from the Hilton to the boat on Sunday at around 2-3pm. Check in went fast. They basically gave you your card keys and name tags. Your name tags has a number one, two or three which is your bus number when you're on bus tours. They deliver your suitcases to your cabin outside your door.

We had taken a collapsible cooler with us. If it wasn't going to fit in our suitcases, we would use it as a carry on. We took a gallon ziplock bag and kept filling it with ice from the machine, that is located at the end of the hall, on the second deck, by the stairs that go up putside the dining area. It kept our bottled sodas and wine cold while on board the ship. I had bought a $1 wine screwer at Walmart. It did the job and still works. The room stewards aren't allowed to fill your coolers with ice.

Sorry, but I have to go again. One of these times I'll get this trip all on this site. Hope I answered some of your questions.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy! we we will be eagerly looking forward to your full review!(no preasure-lol)

Thanks Sandy! we we will be eagerly looking forward to your full review!(no preasure-lol)

Sandy, what ports could you "walk right into town " from and what ports required bus/cab transfer? LOL I could not waite.....:D

We did the 3 day pre-cruise stay and 3 day post-cruise stay in Budapest & Amsterdam. Both Hiltons were great. Budapest Hilton was in a better location. Amsterdam was too far out but had no problems taking the bus or tram. If you have any questions on either stay, ask and I'll answer them. I'll try to write about it later on since I'm having problems getting these posts on.

Budapest is a very friendly city. It is huge. We had a personal guide who lives on the Buda side. He took us all over the place. He took us to very good restaurants. On the Buda side, a great restaurant that the locals go to with big portions is called FATAL. The address is 1056 Budapest, Viaci u. 67. It is in the Vaci Utca area, on a side street, which is loaded with sidewalk cafes. Their website is http://www.fatalrestaurant.com. If you get the schnutzel, share it because it is huge. As big as a medium pizza. And their soups are big too. When you order water in a restaurant or store, it'll say gas or no gas. Gas is seltzer water. Some places will make their ice tea with seltzer water so ask first. Really the only place my husband got it that way was in Amsterdam. Another treat to try is called Lagrosse Bread. It's similiar to a funnel cake /soft pretzel but made with bread dough and you can get either sour cream with cheese topping or garlic butter. Both were great! We got the bread at the concession stand at the foot of Queen Elizabeth Castle that you take a ski lift up to. The walk after you get off the lift to the castle is steep but a beautiful site. Make sure to go to the Market area which is about a 10 -20 minute walk from the ship depending on where it is docked. The market is open from 6am-6pm Mon-Fri, 6am-2pm on Sat. and closed Sunday. They have all sorts of souvenirs and foods. Budapest mostly takes forints. Everywhere we went didn't take Euros or american money. Some will take credit cards but most you have to purchase a certain amount. We got our exchange at the hotel because we would buy a little at a time. Didn't want to get stuck with forints when you couldn't use it anywhere else on the trip. I have kept all our maps so if you have any questions on where something is, just ask. I'm going to end this so I don't lose this post.

Bratislava,Slovakia-arrived at 1PM. At 1:30pm mini-train and walking tour. You can walk into town from where you were docked. On this night they had the movie, "Sound of Music" in the lounge after dinner. We left Bratislava at midnight. So you could go back into town if you wanted.

Vienna, Austria-arrived 7am. Tour at 9am to 12:30pm. You can stay in town for lunch if you want. We did and walked around more. We had to try their apple streudal too. We had that at a cafe in front of the cathedral. We ate at a good restaurant named Figmuller located on Backerstrabe which is a couple blocks from St. Stephan's Cathedral. In the streets around the cathedral there will be different mimes just standing there for some tips. It was hot that day and they had some heavy costumes on. They have carriage rides by the cathedral too. We took the subway back to the boat which cost $3.40 Euros for the two of us. They had an option tour from 2-5:30pm to visit the Schonbrunn Palace. $44 Euros each. Also you had the option tour of a Mozart & Stauss Concert in the Palace Borse that evening leaving at 7:30pm-10:15pm, $54 Euros each. We didn't do either. The people who did do the concert said it was good. Some thought it was going to be a big concert in a huge room but it wasn't. It was in a smaller room and had some comedy and singing performed also. The boat left at 1am.

Melk- arrived at 12:30pm. At 10:30am on the boat in the lounge they had samples of Fruhschopen. Bus tours started at 1:30m to the Melk Abbey. At 4:45pm in the lounge they had a demo on how to make apple strudel and of course got to sample. The boat left at 5pm. At 9pm. Bingo in the lounge, 5 Euros per card of 3 separate games on it. Didn't win!!

Passau, Germany-arrives 9am. Walking tour and organ concert from 10am-12:30pm. You could stay into town and eat lunch, which we did. We took a bus up to the Oberhaus fortress. It cost 5 Euros each round trip. Then we walked back to the boat. The boat left at 7pm. At 9pm, a music quiz in the lounge. Didn't win again! :(

Regensburg, Germany-arrives at 10am. Walking tour at 10am-11:30am. Again we ate lunch in town. We had to have the sausage at the oldest sausage restaurant called Wurstkuchl. And they are a busy place!!!! Well worth the wait. There was an afternoon stroll with the program director to a beer garden at 2pm. We didn't go. The boat left at 5pm. In the lounge was a talk and slide show on the different cruises with Viking.

To be continued

Nuremberg-Germany- arrives 11am. At 9am in the lounge was a lecture about EU. 10:30am ship quiz. 1:30pm-5:30pm city tour. Optional Tour 1pm-6pm was Nuremberg World War II tour. 44 Euros each. We did this tour and it was worth it if you're interest in History of Hitler and WW II. We got to go to the **** Rallying Grounds, and inside the Palace of Justice where the Nuremberg Trials took place. On the regular city tour you only got to see the outside of these buildings. Bavarian Folklore in the Lounge. The boat left at 10:30pm.

Bamberg, Germany-arrives 8am. 9am-11am bus tour and walking tour with some free time before the ship left at 1pm. Tried the smoked beer. Real smokey flavor for the first couple sips but then didn't notice it. In the lounge at 4:30pm, our program director gave us a German lesson. At 9pm was a Danube Canal Lesson but we didn't attend it.

Gerlachsausen, Germany- arrive at 1am. Get off boat, 8:30am-5:30pm full day bus tour to Wurzburg & Rothenburg with lunch in Rothenburg which included the soup of the day, bratwurst, wine sauerkraut, water or tea and dessert. You could get wine for 3.60 or 3.80 Euros, soft drinks 2 Euros. There was a group of boys from Johanasburg performing in the square which were very good. At the City Councilors' Tavern, every hour between 11am-3pm, is when the Master Draught appears in the tower. The German Christmas Museum is also there. We got back on the bus and returned to our ship in Wurzburg. The boat had left Gerlachshausen at 9am and arrived in Wurzburg at 4pm. That was a long bus trip but very nice towns. On the boat at 9pm in the lounge we had a husband & wife team play instruments which was good. The boat left at 9:30pm.

Wertheim, Germany-arrive 8am. Walking tour 9-10am. If you want glassblowing articles made by Karl Ittig this is the town. He is the founder of the Eugene Glass School in Oregon. His shop is at Schwarzwaldstrasse 6. His website is http://www.glashaus-wertheim.de. In the afternoon at 2:30pm on the boat, he comes and demonstrates glassblowing. He brings some of his pieces to sell also and will sign any piece you buy from his store too. I bought two shot glasses which were 10 Euros each. He did take credit cards on board. The boat leaves at 2pm. In the lounge is the Liars Club at 9pm. It was fun.

Mainz & Rudsheim, Germany- arrive at 6am. Walking tour of Mainz 8:30am-10:30am. You have some free time before the boat leaves at 1pm for Rudsheim. Rudsheim you arrive at 3:30pm. Tour 3:30pm-5:30pm which is a mini-train ride to Siegfried's Mechanical Music Museum then free time. I loved this Museum with all the music boxes and pianos. We ate dinner in town at Hotel Lindenwirt. It was very good also. There's a lot of restaurants to eat at. If you want to take the cable railway up to the Germania monument make sure to go before 5:30pm. We got there at 5:45pm and they wouldn't let anyone go up because they were closing and wouldn't have time to come back down. You stay overnight here in Rudsheim. The boat doesn't leave till 7am. So you can stay in town as long as you want or go back after dinner. At 9pm in the lounge is the Rudesheimer Coffee presentation and tasting.

Cologne, Germany-arrrive at 3PM. At 10:30am this morning, they had Rhenish Frushchoppen in the lounge. At 11:30am they had a disembarkation briefing for Sunday. 3-5pm is the Cologne city walk. Captain's Farewell Dinner tonight at 7PM. Farewell Party with a raffle in the lounge at 9PM. Boat leaves at 9:30pm.

To be continued...

Thanks so much for the great review. We toured with Avalon and are always anxious to see what the other cruise companies are offering that is different from what we did with Avalon. When we were ready to book the tour, it was so difficult to compare itineraries and determine which was the best one to take.

Your report has been great and I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.

I'll answer the questions as soon as I get the details out of the way. OK?

Amsterdam, Netherlands- arrive at 12pm. At 10am they had a dutch cheese and Jenever tasting. Yek on the Jenever, too strong of an alcohol for me! The canal tour and Van Gogh Museum was from 1:30pm-5:30pm. We went back to the boat and ate our final dinner on board. After dinner, six of us went back into town and walked the red light district to say we did it. I wouldn't go by myself to that area. Even with my husband by my side, I was nervous. The streets were noisey and just full of mostly guys high on dope, with Coffee Shops and Sex shops everywhere. A Coffee Shop is where you can smoke marijuana and buy it. A Coffee House is where you get coffee. I don't even know if they sell coffee at a Coffee Shop. I don't know why they call them that. Anyway, you didn't have to go in a shop to smoke it, you could get high just standing in the streets. :) And if the guys needed to go to the bathroom they had these street corner urinals every so often. We all couldn't believe our eyes. Oh well! So being there once is enough for me! I could go into more detail about the Red Light District but don't want to ruin it for you all. If anyone has a question I'll answer it. It's not what I had pictured it to be.

So the next day, after our last breakfast on board, we waited in the lounge until our color purple, leaving at 9am, went to the Hotel Amsterdam for our last 3 days. Had no problems getting off or getting to the Hotel. We were disappointed it was so far away but in a way I was glad. Amsterdam is such a big and dirty city. I didn't care for it. I liked Budapest better. Be careful of the bicycles in Amsterdam and everywhere on this trip. They have the right of way instead of people walking and cars. They will run you over!!!

We did a side trip during our stay in Amsterdam that I recommend. I wanted to see Holland with windmills and countryside. Take the tour with KeyTours Excursions called Dutch Contry Side Tour for 41Euros each. They even picked us up at the hotel and took us back. You go to Edam, Marken, Voldendam and Zaanse Schans. You get to stop at a cheese farm and taste and buy cheese. You get to see a few windmills operating at the wood shoe factory. It;s intereting how they make the shoes and there's so many different ones there to buy. It's a fabulous tour! Lunch isn't included but we didn't have any problems finding places to eat. Anyway just go to the tour desk at the hotel and they'll give you the pamphlet with all sorts of tours. It's the desk on your right after you enter the hotel in a little hall way. They are so helpful. You can also get the day passes for the trams there. They were very helpful at the hotel. Breakfast buffet was great each morning at the hotel.

Well I have to stop for today. I'll try to make more remarks another day and answer any questions.

Dean, I think I said in some of my write ups if we stayed into the towns for lunch we were close to town. I need to go back and check and remember which ones we weren't close to or didn't have time to stay into town. I think there were only a few that we weren't. What cabin are you in or do you know yet? We were in 213. Ours was noisey because it was directly under the reception area and where they put the ramp to get on and off.

I know I didn't go into any details in each town what we saw. If you want more I can try to remember. :) After a while on this trip, you'll say not another church or museum. They all start to look alike in ways. This trip was great and recommend it to anyone. If you want entertainment like on the big cruise ship, this is not for you. I'll go into more detail of the ship's layout and what's in your cabin later on. That was on my first write up that didn't get posted for some reason.

Sorry I have to get something else done today. :)

Sandy

sandy we are in #319 on Legend. as far as what you saw and where, trust me after 3 weeks in europe, i feel the same way! i dont think there is a need to go into what you saw, we will all do our own research, and more or less see the same things. for me, its the details when you arrive, depart, how close you dock..etc. its the first i have heard about what goes on in the ship's lounge...bingo, food demos..etc. Im guessing there was some lectures about about ports. NOT TRYING TO RUSH YOU i know you have things to do<S> KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK and i cant thnk you enough!

Dean

Archived