Majesty of the Seas to leave the fleet in November?

Both articles just came out late yesterday (Korean time). The picture in the one article shows the MAJESTY but they didn't mentioned her by name. The article did mention they would take control of the ship this November (2011) to undergo renovations in Korea to be ready by January 2012.

“All That Cruise” says it will take over a 74-thousand ton cruise ship from a U.S. cruise operator in November.

Once the ship is delivered to Korea, the vessel will be checked by Samsung Heavy Industries, and renovated. The vessel will be ready to sail in January, Lee said.

Oh no! I agree with Kruze, I would suspect Monarch because she is the older of the two and it has not been refurbished on the scale that Majesty of the Seas has. This is very sad news for the Royal Caribbean community. Which ship is will take her place?

Isn't MONARCH scheduled for a shipyard visit this month? Is she being refurbished or upgraded to the point to where MAJESTY might go? Even over at Celebrity Cruises they got rid of the younger two ships of the CENTURY-class and kept the oldest one.

Edit: found this in a thread that covered shipyard visits for RCI ships....

Monarch of the Seas 6-15 MAY 2011

You can do a lot in 10 days during an overhaul.

The article specifies 2,744 passenger capacity which is the capacity of the twins as shown on Wiki.

Probably be replaced by an early Vision class, that is the only choice that makes sense.

Enchantment maybe?

Pulling ENCHANTMENT from Baltimore? They better have a replacement o there's going to be an uproar! Maybe one of the Vision-class that spends it's winters overseas like the GRANDEUR?

Royal Caribbean's website now shows the May 16th sailing of the MONARCH (the original first sailing post-drydock) as basically unavailable (as are the 20th and 23rd) so maybe they are extenending her shipyard visit?

Isn't MONARCH scheduled for a shipyard visit this month? Is she being refurbished or upgraded to the point to where MAJESTY might go? Even over at Celebrity Cruises they got rid of the younger two ships of the CENTURY-class and kept the oldest one.

Edit: found this in a thread that covered shipyard visits for RCI ships....

Monarch of the Seas 6-15 MAY 2011

You can do a lot in 10 days during an overhaul.

Monarch is going in for plumbing problems, not a major overhaul. MJ had Johnny rockets, compass deli and much more added during her refurb.

Check out the photos on this website

http://www.allthatcruise.com/

which is the website of the future owner.

Some of the pix are definitely showing the Majesty (ship, Centrum, theater). But some pix are either old pix or of the Monarch (pool and I can´t remember any of the restaurants looking like the one on the pic).

steamboats

Here are some more pix (scroll down and mouse over):

http://www.allthatcruise.com/tour/facilitiesView/info

Seems like a mix of Majesty and Monarch pix. The tonnage given here

http://www.allthatcruise.com/tour/hanru1/ship

is the one of the Monarch (Majesty has a tonnage slightly above 74,000).

steamboats

RCI is listing the Monarch with 73,937 (and the German RCI website with 73,941) and the Majesty with 74,077 gross tons :rolleyes:.

steamboats

Either way it should interesting to see how long it takes RCI to make an official announcement now that this has leaked out from Korea.

Very interesting. My waiter on the Navigator this past weekend, Shon, was telling us about all the ships he was on prior to Navi. Just before the Navigator he was on the Monarch. He got off the Monarch Nov 6th. He said that he chose not to return to that ship because they were removing it from the fleet shortly.

I didn't take what he said seriously because I know that crew members often have the story wrong. BUT now that this information is surfacing it seems as though he might have been right!

I hope it isn't the Majesty. She's my GIRL! We've sailed her four times and find it to be the perfect size for a short, weekender to Nassau. Then again, the Sovereign class is getting a bit old. Regardless of whether it's the Monarch or the Majesty, you've got to admit that RC has definitely gotten their money's worth out of these two ships. Quite the workhorses these two ladies have been.

BTW, can you imagine the repositioning cruise? Miami to Korea? WOW, where do I sign up for that?

RCI is listing the Monarch with 73,937 (and the German RCI website with 73,941) and the Majesty with 74,077 gross tons :rolleyes:.

steamboats

Just noticed on the second link that the tonnage of the new Korean cruise ship is listed as 74,077. Look at the second picture and the text below it.

http://www.allthatcruise.com/tour/facilitiesView/info

Whereas this link show the tonnage at 73,941

http://www.allthatcruise.com/tour/hanru1/ship

The article specifies 2,744 passenger capacity which is the capacity of the twins as shown on Wiki.

Probably be replaced by an early Vision class, that is the only choice that makes sense.

Enchantment maybe?

Unfortunately, that's the buzz currently going around on Enchantment.:(

This today from Cruise Industry News....with a question mark? This is getting interesting! ;)

Royal Caribbean Sells Majesty of Seas to Korean Start Up?

Tuesday, 03 May 2011

Media sources in Korea are reporting that new operator All That Cruise will start sailing in January in 2012 with the Hallyu Star. Reports said that the ship will sail in Southeast Asia, including itineraries calling in China and Japan. The line has reportedly bought or chartered the Majesty of the Seas from Royal Caribbean, but would only tell the Korean media that it was a “74,000-ton ship." That also leaves the Sovereign of the Seas (sailing for Pullmantur Cruises) and the Monarch of the Seas as other potential purchase options. The Sovereign Class of ships are among the oldest vessels in the Royal Caribbean Cruises fleet. Other reports indicate Samsung Heavy Industries will refit the ship in December, prior to her launch as "Asia's largest luxury cruise" in January.

HERE

I really don't think it is the old Sovereign of the Seas as Cruise Industry News mentions because she doesn't sail in the Caribbean, and the articles from the Korean news mentioned that the ship that was being obtained was currently sailing that route. From KBS World: "The ship, dubbed “Hallyu Star,” is currently navigating in the Caribbean Sea."

Archived