Orient Beach -- families concerned about nudity beware

Our group of 9 women ranging from the 30s to 60s just returned from a 7-day cruise on the Carnival Glory, which stops in St. Maarten. We booked Bernard's Tour and really enjoyed ourselves -- Joe, our guide, was outstanding.

Just wanted to let anyone considering that tour to know, though, that it was really difficult to avoid the full nudity on Orient Beach when we visited. I had been concerned about that and researched the issue on these boards prior to our trip. I read many posts which said you might see occasional uncovered breasts, but that nudity was not prevalent, particularly down the beach. However, that absolutely was not our experience.

There is a guy who stands out each day on the beach in front of the parking lot where the tour buses park, and he is fully nude. Joe warned us about him -- the guy holds a Bible in his hands but never turns a page and is there every day. It's hard to access the beach from the parking lot without seeing this guy.

We also saw many people walking down the beach nude. One topless woman stopped and dropped her bikini bottoms right in front of us and continued walking. During our two hours there, we probably saw 20 or more completely nude people and another 20 or more topless women with bottoms on . . . and we weren't searching them out, believe me!!!!! All ages and sizes.

The beach and water were absolutely beautiful, but this is absolutely not a place for families with children if the families have concerns about exposing their children to adult nudity. I know my experience must have been different from that of others on this board, but I thought I should post just so that people will know that at least on some occasions there is substantial nudity. If my children had been with me, I would have left.

We took Bernards tour mid February.

If you are in the parking lot facing the water, to the left of totally nude man the previous writer wrote about, is the section of beach we were on and I didn't notice any nudity.

But the beach to the right of the nude man appeared to be clothing optional for sure. Many totally nude people walking around.

Donna

Gee, I love the title to this post...

Almost anyone who has been to Orient Beach or has read many posts on this board knows that this is the parking lot behind Pedro's and the Club O resort is less than 100 yards away. And, almost every ship excursion to anywhere on Orient has some type of disclaimer...

You went, you stayed (obviously under duress :)), now you want to "warn" folks about it.

BTW, one of those guys that hangs out around that parking lot can do a mean sand sculpture. And, he usually wears clothes in the middle of the day...

IMG_2698.jpg

We took Bernards tour mid February.

If you are in the parking lot facing the water, to the left of totally nude man the previous writer wrote about, is the section of beach we were on and I didn't notice any nudity.

But the beach to the right of the nude man appeared to be clothing optional for sure. Many totally nude people walking around.

Donna

That's what I thought would be the case for us. However, we went further down the beach where the nudity supposedly would be less evident, and people were walking nude along the beach. In fact, all of the fully nude people I saw in that section were walking to the side where you say nudity was more prevalent.

Again, I stress that this was our experience on that particular day -- others may have had different experiences on different days. I just did not want anyone reading these boards to believe, as I did based on my reading of various posts, that nudity was minimal at all times and that it could be avoided for the most part at all times.

Gee, I love the title to this post...

Almost anyone who has been to Orient Beach or has read many posts on this board knows that this is the parking lot behind Pedro's and the Club O resort is less than 100 yards away. And, almost every ship excursion to anywhere on Orient has some type of disclaimer...

You went, you stayed (obviously under duress :)), now you want to "warn" folks about it.

BTW, one of those guys that hangs out around that parking lot can do a mean sand sculpture. And, he usually wears clothes in the middle of the day...

IMG_2698.jpg

Geez, I was just trying to alert families who may have gotten the wrong impression about the beach, as I did, from reading posts on these boards. We booked Bernard's Tour privately, not through our ship. I don't remember any disclaimer, but we certainly were aware that we were going to a clothing optional beach. We decided to go with that tour only after researching Orient Beach on these boards because I was concerned about the nudity. Based on what I read on these boards, I thought the nudity would be minimal and largely avoidable. For us, on that particular day, it was not, although I know others have had different experiences.

Our group consisted only of mature adults, and we opted to just adjust to what we viewed as a different situation than we expected. Aside from the nudity, it was a wonderful experience. However, I definitely would not have left the tour van if I had children with me. As I had not seen a post indicating the beach was inappropriate for children whose parents do not wish for them to be exposed to alot of nudity, I thought I would share my experience so that they would not face the same unexpected circumstances that we did.

I've been twice, once to Bikini and once to Kakao, both in Orient. While I saw topless walking along the beach, I never saw any full nudity [and really would rather not].

Sorry you weren't aware of the possibilty, I guess I just got lucky.

If you turn around 180 degrees from where the sand scupture shot was taken, this sign stands within 100 yards or so and is clearly visible. It should be noted that this is near the southernmost section of a beach that is nearly a mile and a half long.

This is not the only route from the parking lot but is certainly the most convenient if you want to visit Club O. Nude beach walkers are usually done by 9:00am or so. Cross to the beach behind Baywatch or Pirate and head north. I doubt you'll see much of anything...

IMG_1845.jpg

So, can anyone recommend a beach for families with children? We will be there is October with a 4 and a 6 year old, and my husband will stroke if he encounters this. (Not because of our children, but because it would embarrass the world out of him!):rolleyes:

I, too, am taking my 7 & 9 year old daughters on a cruise in October that makes a stop in St.Maarten. I have put this beach on my list of places to avoid with the girls. I am most appreciative to the OP who took the time to make this post and alert families going with children. THANKS A MILLION!!!

We aren't bringing any children with us, but would prefer not to encounter nudity/topless women ourselves. Can anyone recommend a nice beach on St. Martin where people keep their swimsuits on?

I cannot answer your question, but I can say that when we made a quick stop at Maho Beach (I think it is also called Sunset Beach, but I'm not certain), there were two topless mothers accompanied by their children. That is the famous beach adjacent to the airport. Don't know if there was other nudity there at the time or whether nudity is commonplace there.

If you turn around 180 degrees from where the sand scupture shot was taken, this sign stands within 100 yards or so and is clearly visible. It should be noted that this is near the southernmost section of a beach that is nearly a mile and a half long.

This is not the only route from the parking lot but is certainly the most convenient if you want to visit Club O. Nude beach walkers are usually done by 9:00am or so. Cross to the beach behind Baywatch or Pirate and head north. I doubt you'll see much of anything...

IMG_1845.jpg

We were there between 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on the day we visited and saw many nude beachwalkers, for what it's worth.

For people who want to avoid all nudity (including topless women), none of the French side beaches are an option. All of them follow the French custom of optional female toplessness. There is less--but not none--nudity and toplessness on the Dutch side. Not even Little Divi is a 100% guarantee of no toplessness/nudity.

Also, please remember that while it might be considered a good "warning" for many families traveling with children (and even adults who simply wish to avoid the topless/nude customs), it could be considered insulting to imply that toplessness or nudity on the beach automatically equates to "non family friendly." There are thousands of families with children in many countries who enjoy the beaches in their own customs, which can include toplessness (more common than full nudity). Certainly topless/nude beaches may be not appropriate ("unfriendly" if you must use the term) for your family, but that doesn't make them inappropriate for all families.

The bottom line (as it were) is that there is no 100% guarantee of having no toplessness on any beach on St. Martin. Some beaches, such as Little Divi, usually have very little if any, but it's not none. How much toplessness/nudity there will be also depends on the season (is it peak season for tourists) and the people at the beaches the day you are there. Some members here report things like, "We didn't see any full nudity and saw little toplessness at Orient beach; therefore, there isn't much," while others report, "Why yes, we saw some full nudity and quite a bit of toplessness at Orient when we were there."

There's not a thing wrong with preferring to have no toplessness or nudity on the beach, but it makes St. Martin's beaches problematic because of the local customs.

beachchick

We were there between 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on the day we visited and saw many nude beachwalkers, for what it's worth.

What an "experience" for a group of 9 women ranging from the 30s to 60s... But, not my experience beyond the rocks at Pedro's after 9:00 am or so. FWIW, I walked the entire length of that beach nude before 9:00am in January and I maybe saw a half-dozen "like" people. And, BTW, I saw very few others, if any, after that...

Those of you who want to keep your kids away from this "evil", try Le Galion or just stay on the ship. Those of you who come to gawk, be a little less obvious...

I cannot answer your question, but I can say that when we made a quick stop at Maho Beach (I think it is also called Sunset Beach, but I'm not certain), there were two topless mothers accompanied by their children. That is the famous beach adjacent to the airport. Don't know if there was other nudity there at the time or whether nudity is commonplace there.

At the Sunset Bar and Grill on the east end of Maho, there is a sign that says "Topless women drink free...". Its predecessor, "Sunset Beach Bar", was recently featured (as #3) on the Travel Channel's 21 sexiest beach bars.

We aren't bringing any children with us, but would prefer not to encounter nudity/topless women ourselves. Can anyone recommend a nice beach on St. Martin where people keep their swimsuits on?

Swimsuits prevail on most beaches, especially on the Dutch side. But, if you want to avoid topless, stay on the ship....

I am not concerned about the topless aspect of the beaches. I just don't want to explain the male human anatomy to my 4 year old daughter on vacation. Plus, as I said, my husband would be the biggest problem. He gets red in the face when there is a topless woman on TV, so he would probably melt into the sand on a beach with complete nudity. For the ones who seem to think we should just stay on the ship...good grief. I just ask for a little advise on which beach, other than Orient, would be good for a family who doesn't prefer complete nudity. I am not stupid nor naive, nor am I trying to protect my children from anything. I just thought someone here could help me find a quiet, nice beach were my children could play in fairly calm water. Sorry for asking.:rolleyes:

I am not concerned about the topless aspect of the beaches. I just don't want to explain the male human anatomy to my 4 year old daughter on vacation. Plus, as I said, my husband would be the biggest problem. He gets red in the face when there is a topless woman on TV, so he would probably melt into the sand on a beach with complete nudity. For the ones who seem to think we should just stay on the ship...good grief. I just ask for a little advise on which beach, other than Orient, would be good for a family who doesn't prefer complete nudity. I am not stupid nor naive, nor am I trying to protect my children from anything. I just thought someone here could help me find a quiet, nice beach were my children could play in fairly calm water. Sorry for asking.:rolleyes:

I'm, not going to make a comment on the "stupid or naive" statement. But, hey, YOU are one who cares!!! Next time book a Disney World vacation...

If you want to avoid full nudity, stay away from the south end of Orient. If you want to avoid topless, stay on the ship...

I am also traveling to St. Marteen with my 2 young daughters so I share your concerns. Because of this we booked with a company called Aquamania at the Pelican resort marina in Simpson Bay. They offer a "kids lagoon cruise" and a "playstation" which is a playground (trampoline,slides,etc.) that is anchored in about 8 feet of water.They do have life jackets the kids can wear, I checked on that b/c my youngest is also 4. Based on the pictures I have seen, it appears to be off a very small beach area so I'm not expecting to see many sunbathers, topless or otherwise. (If anyone knows differently please respond.) I, like you, don't wish to stay on the ship (and we live next door to Disney:rolleyes:) so this looks like a fun option for our kids. If you want to check them out go to http://www.stmaarten-activities.com . I'll post a review of them when we returrn in April.

I am also traveling to St. Marteen with my 2 young daughters so I share your concerns. Because of this we booked with a company called Aquamania at the Pelican resort marina in Simpson Bay. They offer a "kids lagoon cruise" and a "playstation" which is a playground (trampoline,slides,etc.) that is anchored in about 8 feet of water.They do have life jackets the kids can wear, I checked on that b/c my youngest is also 4. Based on the pictures I have seen, it appears to be off a very small beach area so I'm not expecting to see many sunbathers, topless or otherwise. (If anyone knows differently please respond.) I, like you, don't wish to stay on the ship (and we live next door to Disney:rolleyes:) so this looks like a fun option for our kids. If you want to check them out go to http://www.stmaarten-activities.com . I'll post a review of them when we returrn in April.

Finally! Thank you so very much! I was just looking for a few FRIENDLY suggestions. It is nice to finally receive one, without a rant! Thank you again!

We were in St. Martin for three weeks this Jan/Feb and every beach we visited had at least one topless lady enjoying the sun. Granted, we didn't visit that many of the 37 beaches - only hit about ten this year. We consider it to be one of the great reasons to visit foreign countries - we get to experience things outside our normal (and sometimes very small) world.

I remember the first time I saw a billboard in Marigot that featured a topless model advertising jewelry - had to take a photo of that one! Also, when we looked at our St. Martin/St. Maarten road map provided by the car rental (and available everywhere) there was an advert for a spa that featured a topless woman (she does have a towel around her waist).

All things considered, I would guess that the beach where the water taxi comes in to Philipsburg from the cruise ships - Great Bay - would possibly be where you may least see nudity. Go, relax, and enjoy the adventure.

We were in St. Martin for three weeks this Jan/Feb and every beach we visited had at least one topless lady enjoying the sun. Granted, we didn't visit that many of the 37 beaches - only hit about ten this year. We consider it to be one of the great reasons to visit foreign countries - we get to experience things outside our normal (and sometimes very small) world.

I remember the first time I saw a billboard in Marigot that featured a topless model advertising jewelry - had to take a photo of that one! Also, when we looked at our St. Martin/St. Maarten road map provided by the car rental (and available everywhere) there was an advert for a spa that featured a topless woman (she does have a towel around her waist).

All things considered, I would guess that the beach where the water taxi comes in to Philipsburg from the cruise ships - Great Bay - would possibly be where you may least see nudity. Go, relax, and enjoy the adventure.

Thanks. I decided to just sit down with DH and tell him to get over it. I figure we will discuss it with our girls before we leave and take a chance. They are pretty sharp, so I don't think it is going to be a problem. One thing I am wondering. Of the beaches, if you are looking for something a little less crowded, but still nice, where would that be? CLOTHING IS NOT THE ISSUE! We would just like something that isn't terribly far away and is good for a beach day! Thanks!

Archived