Sport vs High Speed Burst vs continuous

Since I don't usually take action shots, I am confused as to which mode to use when trying to take images of moving objects, such as whales swimming by.

Not counting 'movie', which mode would be preferable......sport, high speed burst or continuous? I know that sport and high speed burst use 'auto' exposure, with sport taking images till the memory is full and needs to write to the sd card and high speed burst takes 10 images and them you need to shoot again. Then there is 'continuous' which one can use in the 'TV' 'AV' and 'M' modes and gives the photographer more control over exposure.

Now, I am more comfortable using 'manual exposure', so therefore would lean towards 'continuous', but that does not mean that it would be the 'best' mode to use in a action shot.

So for all of you that are more experienced in doing 'action' shots, what is your preferred 'mode' and why.

I don't have these modes on my Nikon D300, but I can shoot at around 6 frames per second. Thus, I would use continuous auto focus mode (as opposed to single shot), and my usual choice of "A" or aperture mode where I can control depth of field, while taking note of the shutter speed the camera is using.

Since I don't usually take action shots, I am confused as to which mode to use when trying to take images of moving objects, such as whales swimming by.

Not counting 'movie', which mode would be preferable......sport, high speed burst or continuous? I know that sport and high speed burst use 'auto' exposure, with sport taking images till the memory is full and needs to write to the sd card and high speed burst takes 10 images and them you need to shoot again. Then there is 'continuous' which one can use in the 'TV' 'AV' and 'M' modes and gives the photographer more control over exposure.

Now, I am more comfortable using 'manual exposure', so therefore would lean towards 'continuous', but that does not mean that it would be the 'best' mode to use in a action shot.

So for all of you that are more experienced in doing 'action' shots, what is your preferred 'mode' and why.

I do a lot of event photography and some sports. I shoot in Av, with continuous AF and occasionally continuous aka high-speed drive. Continuous AF is essentially for multiple reasons (at least with Canon): not only do you get continued focusing, but you also get continued metering.

As loubetti said, I use Av so I can control ISO and aperture, and let the camera choose shutter speed dynamically. Sport mode would influence the exposure dynamics as well, and I'd rather keep that control to myself.

It makes sense to use 'AI Servo' (Canon) (or continuous AF) when shooting in 'continuous mode' or 'sport' or 'high speed burst' when you are taking images of something that is in motion. I definitely am going to have to remember to change from 'one shot' to 'AI Servo'.

For more control, it seems best to stay in AV or M mode and shoot AF Servo.

It makes sense to use 'AI Servo' (Canon) (or continuous AF) when shooting in 'continuous mode' or 'sport' or 'high speed burst' when you are taking images of something that is in motion. I definitely am going to have to remember to change from 'one shot' to 'AI Servo'.

For more control, it seems best to stay in AV or M mode and shoot AF Servo.

Go in the menus and reprogram the "AF-ON" button to be an AF-OFF button instead. That way you can leave the camera in AI Servo, and whenever you want focus lock, just hold in the AF-ON button with your thumb and focus is locked.

Actually in my menu I have both 'Servo AF' and 'Continuous AF' which at first was a little confusing. From what I could figure out, 'Servo' continuously focuses after you press the shutter button half way, and 'Continuous' is always focusing (which is a drain on the battery).

Yes, in the menu AF is set on off..........I did notice that if I have 'Servo' 'ON' that it functions while in the 'AV' and 'TV' modes but not while in 'M'. So I am thinking that I can keep 'Servo' 'ON' for when I wish to use 'AV', but it won't interfere when I am in 'M' mode. Correct? Or am I off on my thinking.