Train from Sydney Airport to Downtown

4774Papa

Hi,

Two of us. Tolerably savvy & mobile.

After exploring the coast & countryside for 8 days, we'll be dropping off a rented car at Sydney Int Airport, then we (and our luggage) are planning to go to White Bay terminal (for Princess) by train then a taxi hop.

No idea what time that'll be, but we have to be at the ship by mid-afternoon.

Town Hall station appears to be closest.

Would you (or others) recommend Museum, or St James, in preference to Town Hall?

Thanks

JB :)

Personally, I would drop my luggage off at White Bay before returning the car. From the city travel over the Anzac Bridge, stay far left lane and follow the blue signs to the cruise terminal. The road will take you back under the bridge. this is the same way that taxi should go. NOT off Victoria road as some of them have been doing and then having to turn back. Sufficient parking there for you to drop bags, right outside the building.

Coming back I would hop off the train at Museum and start walking down Market St - directly opposite the station's Elizabeth St exit. Hail the cab in Market St as it has a direct approach toward the Anzac Bridge, much faster and cheaper ride.

Edited by cassamanda

4 of us will arrive at the airport at 7:50 am. Can someone please tell me if we will find a taxi for all of us with luggage. Is there extra charge for 4 passengers. Other options to get to Meriton Apts on Kent Street.

Thank you.

Personally, I would drop my luggage off at White Bay before returning the car. From the city travel over the Anzac Bridge, stay far left lane and follow the blue signs to the cruise terminal. The road will take you back under the bridge. this is the same way that taxi should go. NOT off Victoria road as some of them have been doing and then having to turn back. Sufficient parking there for you to drop bags, right outside the building.

Coming back I would hop off the train at Museum and start walking down Market St - directly opposite the station's Elizabeth St exit. Hail the cab in Market St as it has a direct approach toward the Anzac Bridge, much faster and cheaper ride.

Great advice cassamanda, particularly for the easiest way from Museum to the cruise terminal. However, I'd think that I would probably just hang the expense and get a taxi from the airport with my luggage after dropping off the car. The cost differential of train x 2 plus taxi compared with just taxi all the way is going to be marginal.

Edited by turtlemichael

4 of us will arrive at the airport at 7:50 am. Can someone please tell me if we will find a taxi for all of us with luggage. Is there extra charge for 4 passengers. Other options to get to Meriton Apts on Kent Street.

Thank you.

No issues getting a cab (although you might have a 10 minute queue). No extra charge for 4 passengers either.

Thank you.

Are you flying in on Virgin Australia from LAX? We are also a group of 4 arriving at 7:50am. On Virgins website they had a link for airport transfers it was $18 per person but was not leaving until 9:30am. It looks like a cab is around $45 think we will do that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you.

I doubt if you will get a cab that will take 4 passengers and your luggage, unless it is a station wagon... and then it will still be very squeezie. Just about all cabs use LPG and have the tanks in the boot (trunk).

I don't bother with them any more; I prefer to pre book a private Hire Car (Limo) and the cost is comparable to a cab. have a look at http://www.towncars.com

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

Are you flying in on Virgin Australia from LAX? We are also a group of 4 arriving at 7:50am. On Virgins website they had a link for airport transfers it was $18 per person but was not leaving until 9:30am. It looks like a cab is around $45 think we will do that option.

We are on United from LA. Cab will work for us too.

I doubt if you will get a cab that will take 4 passengers and your luggage, unless it is a station wagon... and then it will still be very squeezie. Just about all cabs use LPG and have the tanks in the boot (trunk).

I don't bother with them any more; I prefer to pre book a private Hire Car (Limo) and the cost is comparable to a cab. have a look at http://www.towncars.com

cheers

Thanks for your response. I had checked town cars and they want $125. A little high. Will take cab.

Thanks for your response. I had checked town cars and they want $125. A little high. Will take cab.

I just received a email from them with a quote for $88 for a 7 passenger van from Sydney International to a hotel in the Dawson Point Area. That was from towncars.com

I just received a email from them with a quote for $88 for a 7 passenger van from Sydney International to a hotel in the Dawson Point Area. That was from towncars.com

And they said that price covers all tolls and taxes.

There's often a conductor at the taxi rank to check the situation. If you have a lot of luggage, they may hold you for a maxi-cab. However, our taxis are large cars, so if you could fit the luggage in one car's luggage space on the way over, then you shouldn't have a problem here.

I sent them a request again. Hope I get a better price now. If not, will get a cab.

I think you are on the same cruise as us - March 10 on Solstice. See you soon.

Meenu

I sent them a request again. Hope I get a better price now. If not, will get a cab.

Meenu

Yes we are on the same cruise. We are flying in on the 9th.

Meenu

When I went to book the price was $111. Car with trailer is $84 going that option.

That's a good price. Would cost you $150 in 3 taxis with all the luggage.

You mentioned Dawson Point:confused: I presume you mean Dawes Point which is the peninsula of land around the Southern end of the bridge and includes the Park Hyatt and Pier One hotels.

Hugh

That's a good price. Would cost you $150 in 3 taxis with all the luggage.

You mentioned Dawson Point:confused: I presume you mean Dawes Point which is the peninsula of land around the Southern end of the bridge and includes the Park Hyatt and Pier One hotels.

Hugh

Yes we have reservations at Pier One

• 3 weeks later...

Train works but not easily

Depends on time of day and amount of luggage.

If you use the train get off at wynyard as it is a flattish walk

No sky us. Taxi is the most efficient and will be not hugely more $$ than the train and door to door

Actually closer to 25 and if you are in the morning peak it's a nightmare from around 7.30-8.30am.

If you do decide to train at this time head to the back or front of the train. Train takes pretty much the full platform so you won't be caught short. Do not be in the centre because there is absolutely no space near the guards compartment.

There are no luggage storage facilities on the train, it's a regular commuter and is 2 levels in the middle and awkward to get luggage up,or down and nowhere to put stuff other than the aisles. Head into one of the end vestibules, move right in because most people will get off before you and you'll find things a bit easier

Edit to add

Take the exit with the lift at the station which is near Coles. Stay on the "station" side of the street. Do not go onto George st. Stay up on You'll enter a kind of pedestrian zone near the Shangri la and then the yha is just after it.

Edited by MrsWaldo

We will be arriving at 6:20am on a Saturday morning. Is there reduced train service on the weekends? It would take a while to clear customs, get our bags, and get to the train I would think. I am assuming that we would just buy the tickets right near the train, is that right?

I really appreciate all the help!!!

Mary

We will be arriving at 6:20am on a Saturday morning. Is there reduced train service on the weekends? It would take a while to clear customs, get our bags, and get to the train I would think. I am assuming that we would just buy the tickets right near the train, is that right?

I really appreciate all the help!!!

Mary

Correct, tickets can be purchased from the ticket office right by the train. There is an info booth at the top of the escalators etc in the arrivals hall also if you need to ask questions.

Reduced timetables on weekends but still very regular. What date do you arrive so we can check if there is track work on or not.

Correct, tickets can be purchased from the ticket office right by the train. There is an info booth at the top of the escalators etc in the arrivals hall also if you need to ask questions.

Reduced timetables on weekends but still very regular. What date do you arrive so we can check if there is track work on or not.

We will be arriving on March 29th. I really appreciate all of the help. Thank you!!

Edited by chutz1996
entered the wrong month