KONA - Getting to Kahaluu Beach Park

resstation

Hello - We will be visiting Hawaii for the first time in early August and the only stop where we don't have an excursion planned is Kona. We would like to explore on our own. I know we tender from the POA - is it very far/expensive to get a taxi to Kahaluu Beach Park? And after we are done there, is there anything to see nearby - shops, restaurants, ect.... Thanks in advance.

There is nice beach at the pier and is where the Ironman leaves from on the swim portion of the race. Lots of shops and walking around at the pier.

As for the Kahaluu Beach Park it's no more than 20 min. away and approx $20.

There is nice beach at the pier and is where the Ironman leaves from on the swim portion of the race. Lots of shops and walking around at the pier.

As for the Kahaluu Beach Park it's no more than 20 min. away and approx $20.

Excellent. Thanks so much!

The Trolley is $2 but it runs on a limited schedule. As long as you are not in a hurry it isn't a bad way to get there. We just did this the end of April.

Here's the schedule - https://historickailuavillage.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/KONA-Trolley-EFFEC-01-19-15sf.pdf

The ship will dock at the Kailua Pier. The first one at 9:40 will make a loop through town and come back to Kailua Pier again at 10:20. Then it will get to Kahaluu Beach Park at 10:45am.

The Beach is really for snorkeling more than anything else. You can rent equipment but we brought our own. I don't remember seeing any chair rentals so you may want to buy a couple rice mats at ABC or there are some picnic tables under a shelter. They have 1 food truck that serves hotdogs/hamburgers/Hawaiian Shaved ice etc..

When we came back we just crossed the street to pick up the Trolley. However, a small bus stopped and said they would take us back to town for $2 before it arrived so we jumped on it. This was around 1pm. I'm fair complected so 2 hrs was plenty for us.

We were in Kona on the POA in November. We rented a car right there at the pier from Dollar Car Rental (we rented through Discount Hawaii Car Rental) which is located right inside the King Kam hotel--very convenient and easy. We drove to Manini'owali Beach (about 20 minutes from the pier.) It was gorgeous and the clearest water I have ever seen. They even have a changing room/bathroom right where you park before you walk down to the beach. After we returned the car we walked to Kona Brewing Company and had some lunch. I'm attaching a PDF of what I used for our day at Kona plans. Let me know if you have any questions.

Kona Plans.pdf

We just did the hop on/off for $15 pp, the snorkeling was excellent, we had our own gear. The driver did a commentary and was very interesting. We could have gotten off at several stops on the way back, but didn't. The best way into the water is walk only as far as necessary, put on fins and pull yourself along until deeper, then put on mask and continue out, get out same way, go as far as possible before trying to stand up. There was a place to check your bag/valuables ($5, +$5 deposit) There were so many gorgeous fish that aren't in the Caribbean. We did the Waikiki aquarium which was a good chance to see the fish in the islands, also best chance to get photos unless you have a very good camera. If your fins can accommodate reef walkers they will definitely help with the sharp rocks and hot sand.

• 3 months later...
We just did the hop on/off for $15 pp, the snorkeling was excellent, we had our own gear. The driver did a commentary and was very interesting. We could have gotten off at several stops on the way back, but didn't. There was a place to check your bag/valuables ($5, +$5 deposit).

I haven't heard of the hop on/hop off option at Kona. Please tell me more about it. Is it with a certain company?. Where do you hop on? What stop had the best snorkeling? Is there a schedule that I can view?

We are wanting to snorkel but trying to avoid a second car rental on the Big Island.

I haven't heard of the hop on/hop off option at Kona. Please tell me more about it. Is it with a certain company?. Where do you hop on? What stop had the best snorkeling? Is there a schedule that I can view?

We are wanting to snorkel but trying to avoid a second car rental on the Big Island.

The hop on hop off bus is located right at the pier. They say the schedule is every 20-30 minutes. I thought it seemed faster than that when we were there a couple of weeks ago. There are very few stops. It only goes 8 miles out, to the snorkeling beach and returns with a few stops along the way. If you are in a bigger group and didn't want to stop anywhere else then a cab would be a better value. You want to get off at Kahaluu Beach Park, not Magic Sand Beach.

The hop on hop off bus is located right at the pier. They say the schedule is every 20-30 minutes. I thought it seemed faster than that when we were there a couple of weeks ago. There are very few stops. It only goes 8 miles out, to the snorkeling beach and returns with a few stops along the way. If you are in a bigger group and didn't want to stop anywhere else then a cab would be a better value. You want to get off at Kahaluu Beach Park, not Magic Sand Beach.

Is that the same as the Kona Trolley with links in posts #4 & 5?

Edited by Astro Flyer

Is that the same as the Kona Trolley with links in posts #4 & 5?

No. The trolley and the hop on hop off bus are two different things. We didn't have time to wait for the trolley so we opted for the bus that was sitting there when we got to the pier. The trolley is much cheaper and if you can take it, is the best way to get to that beach. (Forgot about it and didn't mention it in my last post).

No. The trolley and the hop on hop off bus are two different things. We didn't have time to wait for the trolley so we opted for the bus that was sitting there when we got to the pier. The trolley is much cheaper and if you can take it, is the best way to get to that beach. (Forgot about it and didn't mention it in my last post).

Thanks...I searched online for a Kona HOHO bus but was unable to locate a website so if you have a link could you please post it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks...I searched online for a Kona HOHO bus but was unable to locate a website so if you have a link could you please post it.

It's VERY easy to get tickets at the pier or in the little shopping area across from the pier. If you want to purchase in advance, they are listed under Clarks Hawaii tours: http://www.clarkshawaiitours.com/