NORWAY-Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen advice needed

Hi-We will be on a HAL cruise in late August with the following itinerary:

Eidfjord 7-3 and scenic cruising Hardangerfjord later that day

Alesund 8 am-11 PM

Geiranger 7r5 and cruising GeirangerFjord thereafter

Bergen 8-5

I am trying to plan our port days and here is what I have come up with:

Eidfjord-go to the tourist office and get one of their walking tour maps and take one of the suggested walks. Wander around town for a bit and maybe take the small local train.

Alesund-Looking at Norway Excursions 4 1/2 hour bus trip to Giske, Aines Lighhouse, Sunmare Museum, Mount Aksia and tour of City Center. They have another tour that goes down the Troll Road and visits a few other towns, but it is 8 1/2 hours long. My husband and I get pretty antsy if we are cooped up for more than 4 hours or so on a bus, but we were not sure if the Troll Road was a do not miss experience. Any feedback on these tours? I would like to have time to wander around Alesund-looks like it has some nice architecture.

Geiranger-Looking at possibly a 3 hours Panoramic Bus Tour which goes to the Eagle bend and Flydalsjuvet viewpoints and to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba as well as the new viewing platform

plus a rib boat tour through GeirangerFjord (1 hour). Not sure what a RIB boat tour is, or whether we should do just the bus tour. It looks like the cruise that we are on cruises through the fjords, so I am not sure whether the RIB boat would add anything for us. Any feedback on these tours would be appreciated.

Bergen: Looks like a great place to wander. Thinking of using this NY Times 36 Hours article to plan our meanderings: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/29/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-bergen-norway.html. There is a Beer Festival that day in Bergen, which might be fun. I also saw a Bergen food tour, and might look into a local walking tour. Any suggestions?

We also have 2 days at sea and will be in Amsterdam (first time) for 4 full days prior to the cruise.

We are in our 60s-we are not adrenalin-seeking outdoor adventurers, although we are reasonably fit and have enjoyed walking tours and some awesome food/wine tours when we have been in other cities. We just spent 12 days in California for a work conference for me plus 6 days of wine tasting in Napa and Sonoma. We love Northern California and had an amazing time-but felt that we did not build in enough down time for that trip (so many wineries, so little time!). So we are trying to see what we can on the cruise while having sufficient time to relax. Suggestions regarding our itinerary would be appreciated!

Edited by Bxianesq
add spacing

Definitely try to get to the funicular in Bergen (especially if it's a clear day). The views are incredible.

We had a very short stop in Bergen but it's a big city with lots to do so I'd suggest picking a few things you really want to do rather than try and do loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The tourist office in Eidfjord gets very busy, so get off the ship as early as possible. When we were there we had printed our own map of the walking trials, but someone else we were talking to told us the tourist office had run out that day.

I would recommend walking to the lake, part of the yellow route

http://en.hardangerfjord.com/activities/footpaths-in-eidfjord-p948663

Also at the Eidfjord tourist office you can book a mini bus to the Voringsfossen waterfall, it takes 75mins, which includes a 30 min stop at the waterfall where you get a coffee at the Fossli Hotel. It worth doing, very scenic.

http://en.hardangerfjord.com/eidfjord/cruise/eidfjord-turbil-p968273

In Alesund, we hired a car and drove to the Troll road and Troll Wall, on the way back we drove up to Aksla viewpoint. We were back in time to return the car a walk around the town.

In Geiranger, we did the Norway Excursions bus tour to Dalsnibba and Eagle Road. Amazing drive and views or Gerianger and the fjord.

In Bergen, we walked to the funicular and had a walk at the top of the hill. We then wandered around the town centre and walked back to the ship when it started raining.

In Alesund, we hired a car and drove to the Troll road and Troll Wall, on the way back we drove up to Aksla viewpoint. We were back in time to return the car a walk around the town.

In Geiranger, we did the Norway Excursions bus tour to Dalsnibba and Eagle Road. Amazing drive and views or Gerianger and the fjord.

In Bergen, we walked to the funicular and had a walk at the top of the hill. We then wandered around the town centre and walked back to the ship when it started raining.

Hi Blocks,

Is Troll road and Eagle Bend the same?

I booked a car in Alesund to follow your route.

In Geiranger, I'll take the bus tour to Dalsnibba and not to the Eagle Bend as I think they are the same.

Am I right?

We were just on our cruise last week.... We did take the 8 hour bus tour to troll road (through the cruise line.) It was very good - I say don't miss it. My expectations were low - 8 hours on a bus to see a winding road, but that is not at all what it was. It was beautiful scenery all day. Especially the top of the troll road area - there is a new visitor center there (maybe less than 1 year old)- it is beautiful mountain scenery with a elevated walkways etc. Our day went fast. If I remember correctly we had a total of 5 stops. 75 minute stop for lunch (pre arranged and paid by excursion at a family owned sit down restaurant - very good), 60 minutes at troll road visitor center, 20 minutes at troll wall visitor center, and 2 other 15 minute stops at scenic areas - one being a gorge and one overlooking mountains / water. I can highly recommend the tour. We did leave form Andalsnes so yours might be slightly different timing and stops.

Bergen was our one stop where we did not do an excursion. We walked around town on our own..

Have fun...

Hi Blocks,

In Geiranger, I'll take the bus tour to Dalsnibba and not to the Eagle Bend as I think they are the same.

Am I right?

Like Blocks (he recommanded it to us) we will do the Trollroad from Alesund. We have rented a car.

Eagle Bend is in Geiranger, so no it isnot the same.

In Geiranger we booked this tour which brings you to 3 viewpoints incl. Dalsbibba and Eagle Bend etc. http://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

Hi Blocks,

Am I right?

As Ine replied, no they are different. Troll road is actually called Trollstigen, an amazing road with the highlight being 2 waterfalls which flow under a road consisting of lots of hairpin bends. There are also lots of places to stop and admire the views on the way there and back from Alesund.

Eagle Road which has the Eagle Bend Viewpoint is near Geiranger and again is a road of hairpin bends with a viewpoint over Geirangerfjord that has views of the Seven Sisters waterfall.

As Ine replied, no they are different. Troll road is actually called Trollstigen, an amazing road with the highlight being 2 waterfalls which flow under a road consisting of lots of hairpin bends. There are also lots of places to stop and admire the views on the way there and back from Alesund.

Eagle Road which has the Eagle Bend Viewpoint is near Geiranger and again is a road of hairpin bends with a viewpoint over Geirangerfjord that has views of the Seven Sisters waterfall.

Thanks so much for the clarification.:)

Like Blocks (he recommanded it to us) we will do the Trollroad from Alesund. We have rented a car.

Eagle Bend is in Geiranger, so no it isnot the same.

In Geiranger we booked this tour which brings you to 3 viewpoints incl. Dalsbibba and Eagle Bend etc. http://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

If they are not the same, this panorama tour will be good for me.

Thanks.

If the weather's not good, going all the way up to Dalsnibba may be disappointing. We just went up to Ornesvingen (Eagles) and Flydalsjuvet viewpoints - not as far up as Dalsnibba but still good views from both, although not showstoppers. There's a lake (Dyp....???) we went to as well on the excursion arranged by the cruise line. It was worthwhile, too.

I just posted links to my pictures from some of the places you're asking about in another thread - one that had a title something like "help me choose itinerary."

In Bergen, I really enjoyed going BEHIND the storefronts in Bryggen, not just walking along the waterfront next to them. There are so many things to do in Bergen, it was hard narrowing down what I'd do and where I'd go - sigh! Fun, though.

Anyway, some easy searching might lead you to my pictures, which show quite a lot of what I did on my fjord cruise.

Wow! All great idea! I read elsewhere that you can rent electric cars with built in GPS and narration In Geiranger. I may investigate that further (although I will leave the driving to my more brave husband!)

Wow! All great idea! I read elsewhere that you can rent electric cars with built in GPS and narration In Geiranger. I may investigate that further (although I will leave the driving to my more brave husband!)

We only had the electric car for 1 hour, because of the cost, but it was great fun. I drove, and it was quite easy. The track to the farm is the only slightly difficult bit, because it's so narrow that if you meet another car you need to find a passing place.

We only had the electric car for 1 hour, because of the cost, but it was great fun. I drove, and it was quite easy. The track to the farm is the only slightly difficult bit, because it's so narrow that if you meet another car you need to find a passing place.

Sounds like Ireland!

This is such a helpful thread! We will be cruising in Norway next month and are trying to decide what to do in Geiranger. Our ship makes a quick stop in Hellesylt at 9 a.m. to drop off some ship shore excursion passengers and then continues onto Geiranger, arriving at around 11 a.m. We're considering two independent bus tours that leave at noon. Our ship departs Geiranger at 6 p.m.

The first one is a 3 1/2 hour bus tour from Norway Excursions that includes the Flydalsjuvet viewpoint, Mount Dalsnibba, a lake at Djupatnet and the Eagle Road. This may be the same tour that Blocks went on. https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/activity/48504/geiranger-dalsnibba

The second one is the Dalsnibba Mountain Highlight Bus from Geiranger Fjordservice which is a 2 1/4 hour bus trip that includes the Flydalsjuvet viewpoint, Mount Dalsnibba and the Geiranger Skywalk. I think this tour is a bit different than the one Ine mentioned. http://www.geirangerfjord.no/english

We'd like to see as much as possible and are currently leaning towards the Norway Excursions tour since it includes the Eagle Road, but I can't find too many company reviews. Any additional insights on the tour operators and excursions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help!

The first one is a 3 1/2 hour bus tour from Norway Excursions that includes the Flydalsjuvet viewpoint, Mount Dalsnibba, a lake at Djupatnet and the Eagle Road. This may be the same tour that Blocks went on. https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/activity/48504/geiranger-dalsnibba

We'd like to see as much as possible and are currently leaning towards the Norway Excursions tour since it includes the Eagle Road, but I can't find too many company reviews. Any additional insights on the tour operators and excursions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help!

Yes the Norway Excursions tour was the one we did. It stops at all the places we wanted to visit and we did not feel rushed. We didn't have the best of views at Mount Dalsnibba due to cloud but I would recommend it.

Your pictures are great-thank you!

If the weather's not good, going all the way up to Dalsnibba may be disappointing. We just went up to Ornesvingen (Eagles) and Flydalsjuvet viewpoints - not as far up as Dalsnibba but still good views from both, although not showstoppers. There's a lake (Dyp....???) we went to as well on the excursion arranged by the cruise line. It was worthwhile, too.

I just posted links to my pictures from some of the places you're asking about in another thread - one that had a title something like "help me choose itinerary."

In Bergen, I really enjoyed going BEHIND the storefronts in Bryggen, not just walking along the waterfront next to them. There are so many things to do in Bergen, it was hard narrowing down what I'd do and where I'd go - sigh! Fun, though.

Anyway, some easy searching might lead you to my pictures, which show quite a lot of what I did on my fjord cruise.

Yes the Norway Excursions tour was the one we did. It stops at all the places we wanted to visit and we did not feel rushed. We didn't have the best of views at Mount Dalsnibba due to cloud but I would recommend it.

Thanks for letting me know, Blocks. Your insights are greatly appreciated!

Sky to Fjord Bike Ride in Geiranger is AMAZING. I can't recommend it enough! Quick 30 minute bus ride to the top, then you go. So beautiful! I took a video of our ride.

It's very little pedaling as it is mostly downhill at a 9-10% grade. Yes, you have to go single file because there is traffic. Yes, it helps if you can actually ride a bike. :)