Carlos & Charlies Aruba- O.K. for 15 yr old?

JF4300

I will be visiting Aruba on our November cruise and was wondering if I could take my 15 yr old (looks a little older) for lunch or even dinner? Any age restrictions?

I have never been there but folks traveling with us really seem to want to go.

Appreciate your thoughts

I do not think Carlos and Charlies is an appropriate place for a 15 year old. It is a bar. Especially at night. Basically they do drinking games, titilation, and make fun of people. We enjoyed C&C in Aruba, but then we are 40 somethings.

Gosh, I sound like a prude. I better go get some wet noodles to flog myself with. :D

:rolleyes: Depends on the time of day!

Lunch there is very low key- Dinner does get a little crazy, and a lot of people are drunk. Normally it's the older folk that are drunk, which is pretty funny, but up to you if you want your kid to see them. After dinner I'm not sure kids are allowed in. It turns into a bar atmosphere.

It's definetly a tourist restaurant that everyone stops in to see. I don't think it's a bad place for a family to go eat, it's part of the caribbean mon!

There is a bunch of nice restaurants in Aruba if you are looking for more of a "regular" dinner. El Gaucho is amazing, And there are a number of restaurants along the main street up on the second floor that are good too!

Have fun. Let me know if you would like more info @ other places?

I will be visiting Aruba on our November cruise and was wondering if I could take my 15 yr old (looks a little older) for lunch or even dinner? Any age restrictions?

Appreciate your thoughts

I wouldn't, but that's just me, I'm not a big fan of C&C's, I think they're a tourist trap. I'd rather go to a local authentic spot. I'm sure you're child will meet other teens by the time you get to Aruba and maybe he could do a teen excursion with them? I don't know if you "can", but I bet they'd enjoy spending that time with their new friends than with you anyway.

I have to agree w/xpc..; It is a "naughty" place for someone of that age. At night it is wall to wall people, during the day alittle better, but anytime of day you are going to see some things you would not want your 15 year old to see. :eek:

Got to agree with XPC. We are 30&40 somethings, and while we're all about having a good time, and are not ashamed of the fact that we both "lived" a little bit as teens, I would not take a 15 year old to Carlos & Charlies- even for lunch.

It is a fun place, but not something I would think you'd want to take 15 year old to. Particularly when you've indicated that they look a little older. Someone already mentioned that this is where Natalee Holloway was last seen, and I won't dwell on that. My point, I guess, is that the place is meant for adults, and there are folks that will do whatever to meet up with a person.

I know when we went there, everyone had to put their head back for a shot of tequila/lime juice as we entered. This was squirted into your mouth out of a bottle by a 20-something guy at the door. The women in our group (my wife and SIL) included didn't understand why all of the women got more on their chest than in their mouths..... I don't think it takes the sharpest tack to figure out why....;)

Just my opinion.

Jay

I have not been to C&C in Aruba, but I have been to the one in Cozumel and I imagine they would be similar. Picture a college bar filled with post college age people. Same basic environment. Sadly, he has probably already been exposed to anything that he would see here anyway.

I am not sure about lunch but after dark, C&C refused my son entry to the building because he was only 17, even though I was with him, and we only wanted dinner at 6pm. We wouldn't have stayed for dinner anyways because after peeking in the door, even at 6pm, the place was rocking.

Seeker

For any women going to Aruba who are single, watch the bartenders pour your drinks! DH saw Natalie Holloway's mother on the Dr. Phil show yesterday and they had many interviews with Aruban people (some in the government) who said that is is common knowledge that men pay bartenders $25 to slip the date rape drug into women's drinks before they deliver them. There were a lot of details that have not come out yet apparently and that was one of them. The guys just point women out and tell the bartender to put the drug in their drinks whenever they order something. Very scary. Just wanted to make people aware that this does go on and it is more important than ever to pay attention when you are out drinking. I have eaten at Carlos & Charlies in Cancun several years ago and the food wasn't very good. They are known for drinking and partying more than dinner. Don't want to get bashed on the board, but want people to be aware so that something bad doesn't happen to them. Take care and enjoy your trip.

Saw Dr. Phil yesterday also and although Ihave been aware of what has been going on in the Natalie Holloway case his show really showed some interesting facts I never realized.

After hearing the way the Aruba govt is handling the Americans I don't know how soon I would rush back to Aruba.

Leona

C&C is not appropriate for a 15 year old anytime of day. I enjoy having a good time and have been to this one and a few others. It is are place where people drink a lot, at all times of the day, and things can get a bit on rowdy side. Not a good influence for a 15 year old.

Mark

There are some pretty off color items in the gift shop as well. I think they are funny (I'm in my late 20's) but wouldn't want to explain them to a 15 year old.

FYI this is the place Natalie Holloway dissapeared from.

I agree, it's not an appropriate place for a 15 year old, but if you think for one minute they didn't "get" everything in the gift shop, you're kidding yourself.

Anne

Rascalious; My husband and I thought the same thing about it being a death trap. We went there the same winter that fire broke out in the night club in New England and all those people died, and we left C & C right away also. You could not move without having your arms up in the air and pushing people. We were very uncomfortable. :(

Rascalious; My husband and I thought the same thing about it being a death trap. We went there the same winter that fire broke out in the night club in New England and all those people died, and we left C & C right away also. You could not move without having your arms up in the air and pushing people. We were very uncomfortable. :(

That is one reason we stayed near the door. Which also is near the stage which is where all of the silly stuff occurs anyway:D .

jc

Thanks for all your comments. I think I know where we won't be taking this 15 year old! Would love to sneak in myself though!!

I would recommend you stay away, also. You won't have a good time. It is too intense and crowded. Even if I was eighteen again, I know I wouldn't want to be there. Just go somewhere like El Gaucho. It is excellent food and less stressful.

For any women going to Aruba who are single, watch the bartenders pour your drinks! DH saw Natalie Holloway's mother on the Dr. Phil show yesterday and they had many interviews with Aruban people (some in the government) who said that is is common knowledge that men pay bartenders $25 to slip the date rape drug into women's drinks before they deliver them. There were a lot of details that have not come out yet apparently and that was one of them. The guys just point women out and tell the bartender to put the drug in their drinks whenever they order something. Very scary. Just wanted to make people aware that this does go on and it is more important than ever to pay attention when you are out drinking. I have eaten at Carlos & Charlies in Cancun several years ago and the food wasn't very good. They are known for drinking and partying more than dinner. Don't want to get bashed on the board, but want people to be aware so that something bad doesn't happen to them. Take care and enjoy your trip.

Wow, this is something people should be aware of anywhere!!! I thought it was bad when I was in college, I don't think I want my daughter to ever grow up!!!

For any women going to Aruba who are single, watch the bartenders pour your drinks! DH saw Natalie Holloway's mother on the Dr. Phil show yesterday and they had many interviews with Aruban people (some in the government) who said that is is common knowledge that men pay bartenders $25 to slip the date rape drug into women's drinks before they deliver them. There were a lot of details that have not come out yet apparently and that was one of them. The guys just point women out and tell the bartender to put the drug in their drinks whenever they order something. Very scary.

That is a very serious allegation, and I am sure one that can be easily verified. If it is "common knowledge", as noted, then people must see it happening, or at the very least the police could raid the establishment to seize the tablets (pills?) of the date-rape drug. I know there have been posts about how uncooperative the Aruban govt has been, and I don't want to get into that discussion here, but surely no one in good conscience could let this continue to occur - especially if it is the worst-kept secret in town. Also, it has been widely broadcast that Aruba is virtually crime free... if bartenders were routinely slipping the date-rape drug into women's drinks, one would think there would be many, many more reported rapes (or disappearances...).

Archived