Enclosed balcony versus regular balcony

noel386

Hopefully ALL balconies are enclosed - otherwise those using their balconies would fall overboard! ;) :)

I think the OP is referring to covered vs partially covered vs uncovered as well.

Some balcony cabins are completely open -"uncovered" - meaning they have no roof over them, as on the Dolphin deck of Princess ships.

Some balcony cabins have a partial roof - 1/2 covered and 1/2 uncovered. The portion of the balcony closest to the cabin is covered - the forward portion of the balcony is uncovered.

Some balcony cabins are fully covered, having a roof that covers the entire balcony area.

Hopefully ALL balconies are enclosed - otherwise those using their balconies would fall overboard! ;) :)

I think the OP is referring to covered vs partially covered vs uncovered as well.

Some balcony cabins are completely open -"uncovered" - meaning they have no roof over them, as on the Dolphin deck of Princess ships.

Some balcony cabins have a partial roof - 1/2 covered and 1/2 uncovered. The portion of the balcony closest to the cabin is covered - the forward portion of the balcony is uncovered.

Some balcony cabins are fully covered, having a roof that covers the entire balcony area.

HAHA! good point! we are on pearl deck 8 unobstructed balcony, i had hear d someone mention that there were some that were "enclosed"t curious...maybe if someone has a pick of it.......its the last cabin before going mid ship

An enclosed balcony is one that has metal around it, rather than plexiglas. On Cunard's QM2 they are referred to as sheltered balconies, or in-hull balconies. On Carnival Dream/Magic/Breeze they are cove balconies. Often they are considered partially obstructed because you cannot sit on them and see the water. Google cove balcony and sheltered balcony. EM

HAHA! good point! we are on pearl deck 8 unobstructed balcony, i had hear d someone mention that there were some that were "enclosed"t curious...maybe if someone has a pick of it.......its the last cabin before going mid ship

Are you referring to the Norwegian Pearl? What cabin number? The pictures of the balcony cabins on that deck of the Norwegian Pearl appear to be regular balcony cabins of 162 sq ft with a covered 38 sq ft. balcony with the plexiglass on it.

An enclosed balcony is one that has metal around it, rather than plexiglas. On Cunard's QM2 they are referred to as sheltered balconies, or in-hull balconies. On Carnival Dream/Magic/Breeze they are cove balconies. Often they are considered partially obstructed because you cannot sit on them and see the water. Google cove balcony and sheltered balcony. EM

I tried googling "enclosed balcony" and got nothing. Good to know the other and perhaps the proper term is "sheltered balcony". Yes - we have seen those on several cruise lines.

Thanks, Essiesmom! :)

Are you referring to the Norwegian Pearl? What cabin number? The pictures of the balcony cabins on that deck of the Norwegian Pearl appear to be regular balcony cabins of 162 sq ft with a covered 38 sq ft. balcony with the plexiglass on it.

8048 is the cabin number...thanks!

We always book a balcony and after several cruises with the plexiglass partition, we sailed on a ship with the enclosure that curved and was out of the steel. I think it might have been Legend of the Seas, but I could be wrong. It wasn't as attractive and you can't sit in the chair and see the water. You have to stand to see it. We've always had a "roof" on the balcony. I'll take a balcony any which way it comes, but prefer the plexiglass front to the balcony.

We always book a balcony and after several cruises with the plexiglass partition, we sailed on a ship with the enclosure that curved and was out of the steel. I think it might have been Legend of the Seas, but I could be wrong. It wasn't as attractive and you can't sit in the chair and see the water. You have to stand to see it. We've always had a "roof" on the balcony. I'll take a balcony any which way it comes, but prefer the plexiglass front to the balcony.

Voyager, Explorer and Adventure have the steel balconies with the partial steel front topped with a small piece of plexiglass. Deck 6 balconies on these ships have more steel and less of a view than the balconies on the upper decks.

Archived