Titanic 100 year anniversary Cruise sets sail from Southampton

Me, it's amazing how the world is still so fascinated with everything Titanic 100 years later. It will be so eerie when they sail over the spot she hit the iceberg at the exact time all these years later, I wonder if anyone will have any spooky stories to tell.

Saw a story on it tonight on the news...just doesn't seem right to be so happy etc. recreating such a sad event...just me I guess. Not the sort of cruise I would be taking...but each to their own.

Sue

I, for one, would like to have done it. Just fascination I guess. I don't see the difference between remembering the Titanic event with a cruise and remembering The ANZACS by going to the pub, playing 2-up & getting p***ed (which is done EVERY year not once in 100 years). It's just the way we do things.

I, for one, would like to have done it. Just fascination I guess. I don't see the difference between remembering the Titanic event with a cruise and remembering The ANZACS by going to the pub, playing 2-up & getting p***ed (which is done EVERY year not once in 100 years). It's just the way we do things.

You are quite right of course...I am from a service family, grandfather, father, brother, uncle, myself and one of my sons have all served in the defence forces but I cannot bear to watch an Anzac Day march..brings me to floods of tears. I honour their memory but cannot see it as a celebration.

If others wish to that's fine...just not for me.

Sue

I read ages ago about a blog that someone on the Titanic memorial cruise was doing, but silly me didnt save the link at the time. Does anyone else know about that or have the link? Thanks

Hype is hype, but if you think about it the captain on the titanic , it could be argued, showed the same lack of responsibility as the captain of the costa Concordia.

True............but at least Cpatain Smith went down with his ship.........he didn't "accidently" fall into a lifeboat:eek:

You are quite right of course...I am from a service family, grandfather, father, brother, uncle, myself and one of my sons have all served in the defence forces but I cannot bear to watch an Anzac Day march..brings me to floods of tears. I honour their memory but cannot see it as a celebration.

If others wish to that's fine...just not for me.

Sue

Even though you are unable to watch it (and I fully understand that), the March itself is really for remembering, not for celebrating. It's the drinking afterwards that is supposedly the "celebration". And the fact that shops and other venues are allowed to open on ANZAC day really peeves me (even thought it is only after 1 o'clock)..

yes alot of people new about the Titanic where is was the biggest ship of the time and they the ship line and builders all said it was un sinkable and then it sank.

But what made the Titanic so interesting to nearly every one in the world, was the movie and the famous love story, and then all the doco's that rolled out after the movie.

See this mornings news that the balmoral had to turn back briefly to get off a sick passenger by helicopter
yes I did see that news.

A cruise ship retracing the Titanic's fateful voyage 100 years ago was forced to turn back towards Ireland on Tuesday after a passenger developed heart problems.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-11/passenger-airlifted-off-titanic-tribute-ship/3942434

A great site - the home of the new Titanic Memorial in Belfast.

http://www.the-titanic.com/Home.aspx

Titanic-House-Vistor-Cent-008.jpg

From The Guardian

100 years on, The Titanic is bigger than ever in Belfast

Today marks the 100th anniversary of the Titanic's tragic maiden voyage, and Belfast, where the ship was built, is going all out to commemorate the event, with the opening of the £97m Titanic Belfast exhibition centre plus a season of related events.

I read this story in the Courier Mail yesterday, terribly sad and the fact that there would have been so many stories like it.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/familys-titanic-tragedy/story-e6freoof-1226324384796

Thanks for posting Aus family. I didn't see that. In fact I'd say there are many interesting, but sad, stories that have never been told.

It would have been nice to do. I looked up all the options of going but was not happy with what was on offer as none of them really looked like the actual voyage.

It would have been nice to be on a ship departing Southampton on the actual day it left, head to France and Ireland before following the eact route and ending the cruise either in New York with a possible visit to the memorials in Canada.

I was interested in Titanic long before the popular movie and it was probably my early inspiration for my interest in ships. The Titanic and Bismarck discovery by Ballard got my attention at a very young age when I was still at primary school. It was something I read about in books and seeded my life interest in ships.

the secound cruise ship that attened

But for the 450 people aboard the Azamara Journey, this trip is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. They say it's the closest thing they'll ever have to experiencing what led to the fateful ship's sinking on a cold April night in the North Atlantic.

As a reporter, I experienced some of this myself when I described my assignment.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/13/travel/titanic-anniversary-cruise/?hpt=hp_c2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azamara_Journey

But for the 450 people aboard the Azamara Journey, this trip is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. They say it's the closest thing they'll ever have to experiencing what led to the fateful ship's sinking on a cold April night in the North Atlantic.

Either the reporter has the numbers wrong , (which would not surprise me:D ) or that cruise was not very popular . That ship can carry 670 pax.

It was only 2/3rds full.:eek:

Either the reporter has the numbers wrong , (which would not surprise me:D ) or that cruise was not very popular . That ship can carry 670 pax.

It was only 2/3rds full.:eek:

Quite possibly 2/3 full - Judith who was on our Diamond 2010 Christmas Cruise got a fantastic last minute deal to go on this cruise solo!

Archived