Recommended Montreal Hotel for October pre-cruise

flyers

Can anyone who knows Montreal please give us a recommendation as to Hotels for 4-5 nights pre cruise. We have previously stayed at the Ritz Carlton back in 2005 apparently before it was remodeled into an Apartment/Hotel .We found it then a bit stuffy and old fashioned and unless the remodel changed that we would prefer a newer and more modern hotel. The Intercontinental has been recommended to us...anyone stayed there ? or has other recommendations ?

We also stayed at the Ritz last year pre cruise for 5 days and like Dan found the rooms and service fabulous. Sebastian in the bar at night was so friendly. Would certainly stay here again.

After an appalling stay at the Ritz Carlton in Fort Lauderdale I vowed to never cross their threshold(anywhere) again.

So with an upcoming Montreal pre cruise stay I had a good look at the alternatives. In the end I opted for the Intercontinental on club floor with extra space. It is well located and gets Ok reviews.

Perhaps I have made a mistake!

We stayed at Le Place d`Armes in Old Montreal after coming over on the 2013 route of the Vikings trip. Its in the old city, great location and great staff. The Ritz there is a nice property but better IMHO if on business.

As a tourist, I would choose a hotel in Old Montreal rather than the Ritz, even if is once again a very good hotel. It is well located for high end shopping, if that's your interest. Look at the Hotel St James or the Place d'Armes. The Intercontinental is a highrise without character and best suited for a business trip, IMHO

We were wishing we had booked a hotel in Old Montreal until we were there. We found Old Montreal great to see but very touristy and we're glad we stayed at the Ritz. But then we like walking and morning walks up Mont Royal were nice.

I haven't stayed in one of the hotels in the Old town so I guess I can't really compare other than say I was happy with what we did.

We stayed at the Nelligan Hotel. Right in the middle of old Montreal. In an old warehouse building. Real cool place. Good restaurants and interesting sites within walking distance. We were only about a half-mile from the cruise ship dock--easy cheap taxi ride. Would stay there again if taking another cruise from Montreal. LittleRedJohn

We live a couple of hours from Montreal and are there regularly for business and fun. The Nelligan is a great recommendation for old town ambience. Our current preference for a more uptown feel is the Sofitel, well-located right across from the Ritz and a bit lighter. Go to Ferriera Cafe for the best fish outside of Portugal!

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked the Intercontinental. I like the location and we are coming in in the wee morning hours. It is located in a very good area with local restaurants and shops. I think the underground shops are right below it so I didn't hesitate to book it. We enjoyed the Intercontinental very much in Paris. And the fact that breakfast buffet is included, and if it is half as good as Paris, will be worth it. Booked on the 14 day Montreal to Ft. Laudedale trip. Arriving in Montreal late on the 19th of October. Looking forward to going to the Mont Royal for the overlook.

Thank everyone for your suggestions and recommendations. We were unable to get a reservation at the Ritz which would have been our first choice so have settled on the Intercontinental and kkmiausa we are also booked on the Oct 21st cruise to FLL .We live in Highland Beach a suburb of Boca Raton which is why we picked this particular cruise to have as little flying as possible. Have read with interest your comments on smoking and we too are delighted to hear the news even though it will not yet be in force. We too hate smoking but other than in the Observation Lounge have generally not been troubled by it on other Seabourn Cruises. Although we hated it on the smaller ships and stopped cruising on them for that reason. We look forward to meeting you at the Hotel or onboard.