Embarcation Vancouver delays

gourmetjan

Most of us have boarded in San Diego with just the usual issues that one experiences at any cruise port. The convenient location with regard to the airport, hotels and main attractions far outweigh any negative. Not to mention the ideal weather.....

The truth is that the only thing that really matters is the market for the Mexican/Panama Canal itineraries. Mexico has been looking a lot better lately compared to the rest of the world.

igraf

If San Diego is the problem, then why has the "Disney Wonder" (2,600 cap) scheduled 15 cruises from that pier in 2017?

Staggered check in times are helping to avoid long lines and frustrated passengers.

Here is the latest from Carnival.....soon to be implemented by HAL..... I hope....as Disney and RCCL have done successfully here.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180

David

Yes, did that once, found it easier and faster to go down the ramp. Thanks for the reminder, though. Who knows what will work better now.

Still can't visualize where you go up the elevator/escalator to "check-in" after dropping off your luggage (which is in the same place as before -- past the buses???).

Because we were staying at the hotel we took the lift from the lobby to the lower level of the cruise terminal. Just prior to that I had noticed signs being placed along the west side "promenade deck" of the terminal building stating: "All passengers this way." As we were very early arriving, passengers were using the lower level, whether arriving by taxi, bus or walking down the ramp.

After we boarded we noticed hundreds of people queued along this area. As I said earlier there were three ships departing that day and the Noordam departed late due to the delays in processing so many people. I don't know if the other two ships were delayed.

We are on the Westerdam on Oct 18 from Vancouver and apparently the only ship in port - hopefully boarding will be a breeze. We are heading to Santa Barbara and San Diego and then on to Mexico for a week. Wondering if we will pre-clear US Customs and Immigration in Vancouver like the Alaska cruises or have to wait until Santa Barbara or San Diego.

Edited by frankc98376

Because we were staying at the hotel we took the lift from the lobby to the lower level of the cruise terminal. Just prior to that I had noticed signs being placed along the west side "promenade deck" of the terminal building stating: "All passengers this way." As we were very early arriving, passengers were using the lower level, whether arriving by taxi, bus or walking down the ramp.

After we boarded we noticed hundreds of people queued along this area. As I said earlier there were three ships departing that day and the Noordam departed late due to the delays in processing so many people. I don't know if the other two ships were delayed.

Thanks very much. This is new and your description is helpful!

How early was it that you went down to the lower level of the terminal?

We are on the Westerdam on Oct 18 from Vancouver and apparently the only ship in port - hopefully boarding will be a breeze. We are heading to Santa Barbara and San Diego and then on to Mexico for a week. Wondering if we will pre-clear US Customs and Immigration in Vancouver like the Alaska cruises or have to wait until Santa Barbara or San Diego.

Santa Barbara, CA is not called upon a heck of a lot by HAL. Should be an interesting call. Wonder if they offer shorex/tours to the Reagan Library in Simi Valley? Highly recommended! Have a great voyage southbound on Westie!

Santa Barbara, CA is not called upon a heck of a lot by HAL. Should be an interesting call. Wonder if they offer shorex/tours to the Reagan Library in Simi Valley? Highly recommended! Have a great voyage southbound on Westie!

Thanks John- we are looking forward to it. No Library Shorex- they are offering a Solvang trip but we'll probably just do the foot thing. I grew up going to Santa Barbara Biltmore for weekend getaways so will be fun to go back. Likely no Simi as we are there only 0800-1500.

Another port I would LOVE to see HAL try is our closest town- Port Townsend WA. Deep water bay due to Indian Island Naval station across the bay. A great little victorian town with wonderful shops and restaurants. Tendering pier is in the center of downtown. I think passengers would love it. The ships pass by Port Townsend on the way out of Seattle. Historic sites, great wineries and Cider farms for shorex. Short trip down to our area on the Hood Canal (only true Fjord in America).

OK- did my Chamber of Commerce public service for the year :D

Edited by frankc98376

Since the first port of call on this cruise is in the US, it's likely you'll do CBP in vancouver - BUT, as the only ship in port, this means CBP asking themselves "Is it cheaper to set up operations for one ship in Vancouver or in Santa Barbara?" so it could go either way - it would be nice if you came back and let us know for future cruises in this situation!

...Short trip down to our area on the Hood Canal (only true Fjord in America)...

Except for a metric buttload of them in Alaska, without which there probably wouldn't be any reason for Alaskan cruises! And the Hudson river. Longest fjord in the continental USA I'll give you;-)

Since the first port of call on this cruise is in the US, it's likely you'll do CBP in vancouver - BUT, as the only ship in port, this means CBP asking themselves "Is it cheaper to set up operations for one ship in Vancouver or in Santa Barbara?" so it could go either way - it would be nice if you came back and let us know for future cruises in this situation!

Aren't the members of CBP working YVR and the cruise port stationed in Vancouver? If so, I imagine that it would be as cheap to do it there. On the other hand, if they bring a crew up from Washington to handle the cruise port, I can see how it might be cheaper using the crew in Santa Barbara.

QUOTE]

I would be interested in the answer to this question as well. It would seem to me that it would be easier to do CPB in Vancouver as I assume since it is done at the Airport there, they have the staff. In Santa Barbara, I would think they would have to bring the staff up from LA. Plus, since Santa Barbara is a tender port, having to do Immigration aboard ship and knowing that many don't show up as supposed to, it would greatly delay the transferring of passengers to the shore.

Be sure and let us know how it goes.

Aren't the members of CBP working YVR and the cruise port stationed in Vancouver? If so, I imagine that it would be as cheap to do it there. On the other hand, if they bring a crew up from Washington to handle the cruise port, I can see how it might be cheaper using the crew in Santa Barbara.

CBP has no presence in Santa Barbara which will be a tender port. They would have to drive in agents from L.A. to clear the ship. Kinda doubt that's gonna happen. Me thinks it'll take place in Canada Place

Yes, CBP staff work 365 days a year in Vancouver preclearing at YVR and VAC train station for the twice-daily Amtrak, plus admin and GE/NEXUS processing at new Main St HQ.

I know diddly squat about Santa Barbara operations, but if as reported above there is no normal CBP presence there then the only remotely sensible option would be to stick to preclearance here at Canada Place. Scheduling a dozen agents, maybe even fewer due to just one ship, to come to the pier seems a no-brainer compared to bringing them to Santa Barbara from LA.