"Forgetting"to Book a Ticket and Expecting to board with a child

theldaken

:eek: I can not believe that I missed the original thread! Anyone have any ideas on how it turned out? :confused: And just curious, why did you want the link? Someone you know thinking about doing it??? :rolleyes:

Just a couple of months ago I wouldn't have understood the (other thread's) op's reasoning at all. But then I just recently booked a land based vacation. It's a resort with full board (drinks excluded).

So I look through the web site...find out that under 5 year olds stay free (wow!) but an puzzled how to make a reservation online. If I book two adults + two childs I get the childrens price for 5-12 yr olds. So I call with my dilemma. The reservations agent listens and says "well just book online for the two adults if your children are under 5". I keep on insisting "but then you don't know who's going to stay..." up until to the point that the agent got really annoyed. :o

I felt sooooo insecure doing so that I e-mailed their reservations dept and asked for them to book the room (max capacity 4) for me doing this the "old fashioned way". I made sure to tell that I need the room for 2 x adults and 2 x children. I even told everyone's names. I made sure over and over again that it was ok that only me and DH are listed in the ressie. I almost pissed off that agent also. :o

Let's just say that I will relax only after arriving to the resort. Beats me how they can let two 4 year olds come "unexpectedly" and even eat breakfast, lunch and dinner for free!

Just a couple of months ago I wouldn't have understood the (other thread's) op's reasoning at all. But then I just recently booked a land based vacation. It's a resort with full board (drinks excluded).

So I look through the web site...find out that under 5 year olds stay free (wow!) but an puzzled how to make a reservation online. If I book two adults + two childs I get the childrens price for 5-12 yr olds. So I call with my dilemma. The reservations agent listens and says "well just book online for the two adults if your children are under 5". I keep on insisting "but then you don't know who's going to stay..." up until to the point that the agent got really annoyed. :o

I felt sooooo insecure doing so that I e-mailed their reservations dept and asked for them to book the room (max capacity 4) for me doing this the "old fashioned way". I made sure to tell that I need the room for 2 x adults and 2 x children. I even told everyone's names. I made sure over and over again that it was ok that only me and DH are listed in the ressie. I almost pissed off that agent also. :o

Let's just say that I will relax only after arriving to the resort. Beats me how they can let two 4 year olds come "unexpectedly" and even eat breakfast, lunch and dinner for free!

I couldn't agree more. Our experiences with land based vacations are certainly that they are very much focused on the number of paying adults, which I don't quite get because children over 2 yrs must also have a seat on the airplane ;). What really bothered me about that thread is that there were many signs to that OP that there would be a cost associated with their child cruising, but they kept trying to get around it, then got mad when their scheme didn't work.

Make sure you request 2 beds since some resorts have 1 queen or 2 double. We do more hotels and resort vacations where kids stay free or at least discounted. I have added or dropped kids off without problems since they were free. Like the OP, I thought the world had gone mad when I had to pay full price for young kids to cruise, so back to resorts:D

Make sure you request 2 beds since some resorts have 1 queen or 2 double. We do more hotels and resort vacations where kids stay free or at least discounted. I have added or dropped kids off without problems since they were free. Like the OP, I thought the world had gone mad when I had to pay full price for young kids to cruise, so back to resorts:D

On a ship - as opposed to a land-based resort - only so many "souls" are permitted on board due to lifeboat capacity. Doesn't matter if that "soul" is 6 months or 60 years of age, it counts just the same. Actually, the cruiseline will make more from the 60 year old since they will likely consume alcohol and gamble.

On a ship - as opposed to a land-based resort - only so many "souls" are permitted on board due to lifeboat capacity. Doesn't matter if that "soul" is 6 months or 60 years of age, it counts just the same. Actually, the cruiseline will make more from the 60 year old since they will likely consume alcohol and gamble.

I beg to differ on where to profit lies. Along with alcohol parents, not the unemployed kids, buy PICTURE$, PICTURE$ and more PICTURE$, soda cards, ship excursions, and arcade . Did I say pictures, like $25 for a 8x10, in a digital area. In the end, seniors get discounts, why not children, just a thought, they are 'souls' on board.They have things in common, neither is working , one is dependent and the other retired:D. I can only assume since the kids pay full price and the seniors don't, they get priority boarding on the life boats, fair enough!

As a family we budget 50% more for our cruise, but as a couple or land vacation, it's about 25%. Not to mention we cruise during peak time at substantially more per person. Once I earn the senior citizen discount, but possible last in the life boat, the cost will be even less and I will be able to cruise more. At 60 I am sure I will be watching what kind of alcohol I mix with my meds and will be traveling during cheaper off-peak season. Hmmm, counting down the years HAL, here I come, no kids, no pics, no excursions.

I beg to differ on where to profit lies. Along with alcohol parents, not the unemployed kids, buy PICTURE$, PICTURE$ and more PICTURE$, soda cards, ship excursions, and arcade . Did I say pictures, like $25 for a 8x10, in a digital area. In the end, seniors get discounts, why not children, just a thought, they are 'souls' on board.They have things in common, neither is working , one is dependent and the other retired:D. I can only assume since the kids pay full price and the seniors don't, they get priority boarding on the life boats, fair enough!

As a family we budget 50% more for our cruise, but as a couple or land vacation, it's about 25%. Not to mention we cruise during peak time at substantially more per person. Once I earn the senior citizen discount, but possible last in the life boat, the cost will be even less and I will be able to cruise more. At 60 I am sure I will be watching what kind of alcohol I mix with my meds and will be traveling during cheaper off-peak season. Hmmm, counting down the years HAL, here I come, no kids, no pics, no excursions.

I think you are missing the point a little on the subject of this thread. In the thread that was asked about, the parents KNEW they had to pay for their child, that they had to put in their child's info but CHOSE not to because they thought they could just call up and add the kid at the last moment and not have to pay. They CHOSE not to add their child to their reservation even though the booking asked for it because they didn't think it was fair to charge for the kid and because he didn't require a bed. They didn't take into affect that the child would eat, sleep and mess during that time. I mean really, was the kid not going to eat during the cruise? Did the room steward not have to clean up after the child, dispose of his diapers, vacuum where he dropped food? Would you walk into a restaurant and expect your child to eat free because he was a toddler? This is essentially what these parents were expecting.

Also, why would you assume a 60 YO would be retired? Many, many people are working through their 60s these days. For social security purposes the retirement age is 66 and rising. I know vastly more 60 YOs that are working then retired. Whether the person is 2, 20 or 60 the price is the same and that was the issue with the poster on the other thread. They didn't feel that they should have to pay the third person fare for their child. That's where the "soul" comment comes in. Whatever the age, it is another person in the cabin.

Not sure of all cruise lines but again, why do you assume that seniors get cruise discounts? I can't speak for all, but I know they don't on Princess. Also, you again assume that only people with kids buy pictures. As an almost senior I buy pictures, the soda card and excursions. Kids, on the other hand, get excursions at a discount or free so your rationale doesn't fly there.

The bottom line here for these parents, they didn't want to pay for their child to cruise. They can rationalize it any way they want but life isn't free.

I think you are missing the point a little on the subject of this thread. In the thread that was asked about, the parents KNEW they had to pay for their child, that they had to put in their child's info but CHOSE not to because they thought they could just call up and add the kid at the last moment and not have to pay. They CHOSE not to add their child to their reservation even though the booking asked for it because they didn't think it was fair to charge for the kid and because he didn't require a bed. They didn't take into affect that the child would eat, sleep and mess during that time. I mean really, was the kid not going to eat during the cruise? Did the room steward not have to clean up after the child, dispose of his diapers, vacuum where he dropped food? Would you walk into a restaurant and expect your child to eat free because he was a toddler? This is essentially what these parents were expecting.

Also, why would you assume a 60 YO would be retired? Many, many people are working through their 60s these days. For social security purposes the retirement age is 66 and rising. I know vastly more 60 YOs that are working then retired. Whether the person is 2, 20 or 60 the price is the same and that was the issue with the poster on the other thread. They didn't feel that they should have to pay the third person fare for their child. That's where the "soul" comment comes in. Whatever the age, it is another person in the cabin.

Not sure of all cruise lines but again, why do you assume that seniors get cruise discounts? I can't speak for all, but I know they don't on Princess. Also, you again assume that only people with kids buy pictures. As an almost senior I buy pictures, the soda card and excursions. Kids, on the other hand, get excursions at a discount or free so your rationale doesn't fly there.

The bottom line here for these parents, they didn't want to pay for their child to cruise. They can rationalize it any way they want but life isn't free.

Oh lovely, you completely missed the point of my initial post on THIS thread. I reminded the poster to request 2 double beds since the kids will be staying (eat, drink, sleep) for FREE. I am not sure if it's really worth reply to rest of your post since you took a simple post with a smilie face(:D), meaning it was said jokenly and went off, so congrats. We all watched Titan, and know who gets off the boat first, the guy wearing the ladies dress, high heels, and lipstick, maybe the Amish version. This might be of help but some sites offer senior's discount on certain sailings, as they do military.

I get the fact and completely understand why the parent had a hard time paying for a toddler or younger. We do most of our family vacation (A/I resorts) where toddlers are FREE and young kids are often free or discounted. At a restaurant my toddler ate off my plate so basically FREE. Most other places have a kid's menu or will provide an extra place for your child to eat off your plate. So one question worth answering, entirely in this world, kids get a break, sometimes eat, drink and sleep for FREE:D I can assume if the toddler needed a steak, then things might be different, but that would most likely be in another world.

Back to why I posted on THIS thread, to the posts whose kids are going to be FREE, remember to request your beds. We ran into this problem before at resorts where our kids stayed FREE.

Oh lovely, you completely missed the point of my initial post on THIS thread. I reminded the poster to request 2 double beds since the kids will be staying (eat, drink, sleep) for FREE. I am not sure if it's really worth reply to rest of your post since you took a simple post with a smilie face(:D), meaning it was said jokenly and went off, so congrats. We all watched Titan, and know who gets off the boat first, the guy wearing the ladies dress, high heels, and lipstick, maybe the Amish version. This might be of help but some sites offer senior's discount on certain sailings, as they do military.

I get the fact and completely understand why the parent had a hard time paying for a toddler or younger. We do most of our family vacation (A/I resorts) where toddlers are FREE and young kids are often free or discounted. At a restaurant my toddler ate off my plate so basically FREE. Most other places have a kid's menu or will provide an extra place for your child to eat off your plate. So one question worth answering, entirely in this world, kids get a break, sometimes eat, drink and sleep for FREE:D I can assume if the toddler needed a steak, then things might be different, but that would most likely be in another world.

Back to why I posted on THIS thread, to the posts whose kids are going to be FREE, remember to request your beds. We ran into this problem before at resorts where our kids stayed FREE.

There was no FREE. They knew they were supposed to pay for the kid and didn't want to. A land vacation is not a cruise vacation so the comparision is moot. Like comparing apples to oranges. As others have said, even a "free" person needs to pay taxes and port fees.

You keep referring to land based situations. Have you been a cruise? There is no requesting "2 double beds" in a cabin unless you have 2 bedrooms. A usual cabin has 2 single beds that can be pushed together to make a queen sized bed. Then if they have a big enough cabin you may have a couch that could be used to pull out for a smaller person. Or some cabins have pullman beds that come out of the ceiling or wall. There is no place for a second double bed. The parents had planned to bring a pack'n play for the kids to sleep in. Cabins are much smaller than a regular hotel room. When you book your cabin you know exactly how many beds are in your cabin. That is how you book a cabin. You put down the number of people in your cabin (they put 2 instead of 3) and the ship will reserve you a cabin to fit the number of people you stated. They lied and got the exact cabin they requested.

There was no FREE. They knew they were supposed to pay for the kid and didn't want to. A land vacation is not a cruise vacation so the comparision is moot. Like comparing apples to oranges. As others have said, even a "free" person needs to pay taxes and port fees.

You keep referring to land based situations. Have you been a cruise? There is no requesting "2 double beds" in a cabin unless you have 2 bedrooms. A usual cabin has 2 single beds that can be pushed together to make a queen sized bed. Then if they have a big enough cabin you may have a couch that could be used to pull out for a smaller person. Or some cabins have pullman beds that come out of the ceiling or wall. There is no place for a second double bed. The parents had planned to bring a pack'n play for the kids to sleep in. Cabins are much smaller than a regular hotel room. When you book your cabin you know exactly how many beds are in your cabin. That is how you book a cabin. You put down the number of people in your cabin (they put 2 instead of 3) and the ship will reserve you a cabin to fit the number of people you stated. They lied and got the exact cabin they requested.

Oh, oh, notentirelynormal by noooooo means, please read post 5. I kept referring to land based vacation because European_Crusiegirl booked a resort and had concerns, since the kids were FREE. Based on my countless experience at resorts I advised to request 2 double beds. Some resorts have a queen and a very uncomfortable pull out sofa. Thank you so much for you information on cabins. I am sure it will come in handy on my 13th cruise, my last was in April, my next hopefully in February. By the way I accept you apology in advance for posting before taking the time to read what was posted on THIS thread not the other. That other thread is done and over, let's move on, it a new day/thread.

I think this discussion about the previous thread is extremely entertaining.

I mean... it's stuff that we used to do in college. Renting a motel room near a ski lodge and stuffing 12 of us into it.

What a BARGAIN!

I think most of us are completely aware that cruise ships and most land-based all-inclusives aren't like that. Even if kids stay free. Port taxes, hotel taxes, this surcharge, that surcharge... Someone has to get paid... even for free. :(

It's been at least 4 years since any of my kids were under the age of 6. Free would've been nice, but you can't expect to pull a fast one on a cruise line.

I remember, when I was 18, my family went on an RCI cruise aboard the brand new Sovereign of the Seas... when the Sovereign was brand new (before cell phones and internet).

Long story short, RCCL had confirmed our room of 4 into a room that could only accommodate 3 people... end result was that I got my very own room! Sure, it was a 2nd deck interior (next to the engine or something), a bunch of levels below my parents... but it was MY OWN ROOM!!

It was GREAT!! Best cruise EVER!

I don't think that happens anymore.

Oh, oh, notentirelynormal by noooooo means, please read post 5. I kept referring to land based vacation because European_Crusiegirl booked a resort and had concerns, since the kids were FREE. Based on my countless experience at resorts I advised to request 2 double beds. Some resorts have a queen and a very uncomfortable pull out sofa. Thank you so much for you information on cabins. I am sure it will come in handy on my 13th cruise, my last was in April, my next hopefully in February. By the way I accept you apology in advance for posting before taking the time to read what was posted on THIS thread not the other. That other thread is done and over, let's move on, it a new day/thread.

You'll get no apology from me. This is a cruise website. The subject on this thread was about booking a cruise and not wanting to pay for for their child. It is not about land based trips and adding kids to your hotel room. Just because you got off topic (hijacking a thread is what it is called and you'll find the rules above about this type of thing) doesn't change a thing. If you really are as experienced as you say than you are doing a big mis-service to first time cruisers who read your comment about "just make sure to ask for two double beds". The same goes for all your other non cruise advise - as I pointed out when I said they are two different scenarios.

I think this discussion about the previous thread is extremely entertaining.

I mean... it's stuff that we used to do in college. Renting a motel room near a ski lodge and stuffing 12 of us into it.

What a BARGAIN!

I think most of us are completely aware that cruise ships and most land-based all-inclusives aren't like that. Even if kids stay free. Port taxes, hotel taxes, this surcharge, that surcharge... Someone has to get paid... even for free. :(

It's been at least 4 years since any of my kids were under the age of 6. Free would've been nice, but you can't expect to pull a fast one on a cruise line.

I remember, when I was 18, my family went on an RCI cruise aboard the brand new Sovereign of the Seas... when the Sovereign was brand new (before cell phones and internet).

Long story short, RCCL had confirmed our room of 4 into a room that could only accommodate 3 people... end result was that I got my very own room! Sure, it was a 2nd deck interior (next to the engine or something), a bunch of levels below my parents... but it was MY OWN ROOM!!

It was GREAT!! Best cruise EVER!

I don't think that happens anymore.

I thought it was funny as heck, maybe he tried to stick the child in the luggage:D. I was wondering if they are still married after that fiasco?

Many cruisers don't know that kids do stay free at resorts as I did not initially know kids paid full price for cruising. For that mere reason I waited to cruise with my kids and continue to do land based resorts. As teenagers we now pay the full adult rate. This still sucks because they can't drink but it is what it is.

You'll get no apology from me. This is a cruise website. The subject on this thread was about booking a cruise and not wanting to pay for for their child. It is not about land based trips and adding kids to your hotel room. Just because you got off topic (hijacking a thread is what it is called and you'll find the rules above about this type of thing) doesn't change a thing. If you really are as experienced as you say than you are doing a big mis-service to first time cruisers who read your comment about "just make sure to ask for two double beds". The same goes for all your other non cruise advise - as I pointed out when I said they are two different scenarios.

I took the time to read European_Cruisegirl post #5 with the concern about resort and was trying to help a parent. The OP on this thread asked for a link, no real discussion outside of post #5. European-crusiegirl, I am sorry for proving you with resort information on a cruise forum that could possible ease your mind.

Nuff said.

I thought it was funny as heck, maybe he tried to stick the child in the luggage:D. I was wondering if they are still married after that fiasco?

Many cruisers don't know that kids do stay free at resorts as I did not initially know kids paid full price for cruising. For that mere reason I waited to cruise with my kids and continue to do land based resorts. As teenagers we now pay the full adult rate. This still sucks because they can't drink but it is what it is.

It's been a while since my kids were "there" - but I took my daughter on a cruise when she was 18 months old.

Disney Magic - 8+ years ago

I think she might have sailed "free", but we were still responsible for port taxes and some other charges...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even when the cruise lines offer a "Kids Sail Free" special, people are still responsible for certain charges. A lot of Caribbean ports charge a port tax that is charged to the cruise line on a 'per-passenger' fee.

So the cruise ship HAS to account for everybody onboard.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_on_a_cruise_ship_what_are_port_taxes

When a cruise ship enters a port of call, there are expenses based on a per-passenger count that must be paid. These fees usually go to support the facility, security, the longshoremen that tie up and release the vessel and related charges. Industry standard in the cruise industry has always included these nominal charges in the passenger's fare. Rarely do they add up to more than 5% of your entire fare.

It's been a while since my kids were "there" - but I took my daughter on a cruise when she was 18 months old.

Disney Magic - 8+ years ago

I think she might have sailed "free", but we were still responsible for port taxes and some other charges...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even when the cruise lines offer a "Kids Sail Free" special, people are still responsible for certain charges. A lot of Caribbean ports charge a port tax that is charged to the cruise line on a 'per-passenger' fee.

So the cruise ship HAS to account for everybody onboard.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_on_a_cruise_ship_what_are_port_taxes

LOL, I was addressing post #5, the poster with resort concern. If i was wrong for doing so, then by golly I do apologize. I am sorry if I assumed this was a different thread, on a different day, by someone else. Wait, I am right on that count but sorry anyways:D

Yes on free cruises, I have had one, you are responsible for fee and taxes, sometimes that's more than the cruise itself.. So technically, therefore there is and may never be anything as a truly FREE cruise, even if one is advertized:D I thought the whole other thread was funny, still do.

There was a lot of drama that was drummed up on the original thread. I think the CruiseCritic regulars blasted the guy so badly, he never returned... It would have been nice to see how the situation played out.

It would've made me feel good if the cruise line offered some sort of remedy, even though they have no responsibility to do so. Whatever happened to the guy, he was made accountable for his "error" (yes, it's in quotes).

This will be the first year in 15 years that I'm not booked on a cruise for our family vacation. Sure, we're pre-booked on the Quantum for 2015... but we're doing a big family trip to Hawaii for 2014 and we did China this year.

I think I'm having some "no-cruise" anxiety.

Wow - Blk_Amish I am so sorry you got into trouble by giving me some advices. :( I very much appreciate your advice! :)

No surprise the OP has not returned to this thread -- man, it got off track so fast! And boy is it hot in here! :eek::eek:

On the topic of the original thread (which may or may not be the topic of this thread, as no one can tell...) we don't take family cruises for just this reason -- no kids sleeping on the floor of a room booked for two adults!

Archived