Oasis/Allure OTS in Hurricane season??

js4rq

Hi,

We are looking into doing a Panama canal or Mexico cruise in September/October next year.

On top of this, we are looking into doing a Caribbean cruise on Oasis or Allure OTS. This would be in early October. I have read that cruises rarely get cancelled and ports may be changed. We haven't been on Oasis or Allure before and would love to experience that ship, if the price is right. :D

Well, actually I have found a sailing where we can get a D8 Balcony cabin for under $700pp USD, which I reckon is a bargain!! :D Or do you think we can find a better price elsewhere? :cool:

Decisions, decisions!

Sailed Allure in September 3 years ago. We were chasing a small hurricane (Kirk?). Hit all our ports. Weather was beautiful (except rain in Nassau ... No loss). The 12-14 foot seas rocked us to sleep at night. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Trip insurance is a must. The cruise line will sail around dangerous weather. It's all good!

How often does Cozumel or Falmouth get cancelled in "hurricane" season?? I'm doing a bit of research before deciding whether to take the plunge and book the cruise! :D

Not very often. I remember the piers were damaged at Cozumel back in 2005, and maybe one other time since then.

How often does Cozumel or Falmouth get cancelled in "hurricane" season?? I'm doing a bit of research before deciding whether to take the plunge and book the cruise! :D

I cant say with certainty (since I don't feel like doing the research) but I think it is pretty rare. It can and does happen but not often.

Not very often. I remember the piers were damaged at Cozumel back in 2005, and maybe one other time since then.

This was Hurricane Wilma back in 2005...I was on the Navigator Western Sailing and we only made it to Labadee and Jamaica, with Puerto Rico added in between (weird route.) We missed Grand Cayman and Cozumel because of it.

OP - I've been cruising during hurricane season (Sept - Oct) every year since 2002. Only twice have I encountered itinerary changes where at most only 1 or 2 ports were changed (over sometimes whole itineraries are changed.) But on Oasis, the ship is the destination, especially your first time.

FYI Hurricane Season is June 1st to November 30th. Whether a port gets canceled or changed in rotation totally depends on the trajectory of the hurricane. What has happened in the past should not play into your decision to book or not .

We cruised the week after that in 2005 and instead of going into Cozumel we went to Costa Maya. That's the only port we've missed in 10+ years of cruising during hurricane season.