Us issues warning for jamaica

JB Fort Lauderdale

State Dept warning - whether yes or no, I would not go back to Jamaica after 3 cruises that stopped there. Natives are much to aggressive for comfort and drugs are out of control. Too bad because it is a beautiful island that could offer so much. It got so bad for a while that the Jamaican government had tourist police to reduce or eliminate the aggressive people, but even that didn't work. So it is an island I either avoid completely on the itinerary or just stay on board and enjoy an otherwise empty ship:)

State Dept warning - whether yes or no, I would not go back to Jamaica after 3 cruises that stopped there. Natives are much to aggressive for comfort and drugs are out of control. Too bad because it is a beautiful island that could offer so much. It got so bad for a while that the Jamaican government had tourist police to reduce or eliminate the aggressive people, but even that didn't work. So it is an island I either avoid completely on the itinerary or just stay on board and enjoy an otherwise empty ship:)

I agree!!!

I read it and its not for all of Jamaica. But it is for Kingston area. There is a difference. I would still go to Jamaica but not to the Kingston area as they are appearently having problems. If nervous either stay on board or take a ship sponsered tour activity. Just keep an eye out and pay extra attention.

I am a single lady who travels alone quite a bit and I have learned to pack light, no expensive jewlry and keep just a tiny bit of cash on me. I also keep sharp and alert and just am aware of all surroundings.

Adri :)

I went to Jamaica year before last, and had no problems at all...some of the men were not happy with their "pat" down at reentry..men go thru one line, ladies go thru another. My hubby got yelled at because he went thru the very short ladies line..but his bag was already going thru, so he just got yelled at but didnt make him go back thru.

And, if your afraid, just a warning...the ships tours wont make you any safer...one family was held up by machette during one of their excursions..the local police and towns people hunted the criminals down, and one was killed on the spot! They know tourist are their bread and butter, so they wont put up with these rouges...but hey, this happens in every city of the US! I would still go in a heart beat, and will in September.

Ditto... The usual total over reaction to Jamaica by people who want to be wrapped in cotton wool.

That's not necessarily true. If you had good experiences in Ocho Rios, you're lucky. I stayed there for a week, and I was very scared. We were in college, and were continually harassed by the staff at our "5 star" hotel, who called us in the middle of the night and asked us if we wanted to have sex with them. We were attacked by two men with machetes while on a van ride to Negril. We were called "racist" for listening to our walkmen (yes, I'm aging myself :) on the beach, and were propositioned for sex whenever we walked down the street; there were 8 of us, and we couldn't go anywhere without being whistled at and occasionally groped. I couldn't wait to get home.

Poor is one thing--lots of places have poor people. Being harassed and propositioned is quite another. I would not choose to go back there. We gave it a chance when one of our cruises stopped there, but after an hour of being harassed, I knew nothing had changed.

So...don't discount someone else's experience in Jamaica or anywhere else just because you've been lucky enough to have a great experience. I wish I loved Jamaica, I really do. Some people don't like Paris, but I love it. I'm sure they have their reasons.

This warning is for Kingston, which is away from the tourism areas. Kingston is ALWAYS a hot spot for trouble. The one thing this means is you might want to skip the Bob Marley museum trip.

I have stayed in Jamaica 19 times and have loved it every time. It's too bad that cruise ship passengers see only the side of Jamaica that is the craft market, because NOTHING you have experienced prepares you for it.

Jamaica is a beautiful, soul-healing place and if you respect the people, they respect you. I'd advise anyone interested in Jamaica to go and stay there. There are big all-inclusives and smaller hotels where you get to know the staff and they remember you from year to year. I'd be happy to suggest some off-board for anyone who wants to know. I also know of a good driver that my sister used when her cruise was in port in Jamaica last year.

That's not necessarily true. If you had good experiences in Ocho Rios, you're lucky. I stayed there for a week, and I was very scared. We were in college, and were continually harassed by the staff at our "5 star" hotel, who called us in the middle of the night and asked us if we wanted to have sex with them. We were attacked by two men with machetes while on a van ride to Negril. We were called "racist" for listening to our walkmen (yes, I'm aging myself :) on the beach, and were propositioned for sex whenever we walked down the street; there were 8 of us, and we couldn't go anywhere without being whistled at and occasionally groped. I couldn't wait to get home.

Poor is one thing--lots of places have poor people. Being harassed and propositioned is quite another. I would not choose to go back there. We gave it a chance when one of our cruises stopped there, but after an hour of being harassed, I knew nothing had changed.

So...don't discount someone else's experience in Jamaica or anywhere else just because you've been lucky enough to have a great experience. I wish I loved Jamaica, I really do. Some people don't like Paris, but I love it. I'm sure they have their reasons.

If you don't mind my asking, what resort did you stay at in Ocho Rios? Also, I am wondering how you were dressed when the propositioning and groping incidents occured? I ask, not to blame you for the incidents (as one should be able to walk down a street without such harrassment), just out of curiosity. In many of the Caribbean islands, the local men are used to seeing women dressed conservatively. So when they see college girls from the US who may be scantilly dressed, they may engage in the behavior you described. No excuse, I agree, but most of the travel guide books for Jamaica and other islands warn against revealing clothing anywhere but on the beaches.

If you don't mind my asking, what resort did you stay at in Ocho Rios? Also, I am wondering how you were dressed when the propositioning and groping incidents occured? I ask, not to blame you for the incidents (as one should be able to walk down a street without such harrassment), just out of curiosity. In many of the Caribbean islands, the local men are used to seeing women dressed conservatively. So when they see college girls from the US who may be scantilly dressed, they may engage in the behavior you described. No excuse, I agree, but most of the travel guide books for Jamaica and other islands warn against revealing clothing anywhere but on the beaches.

We stayed at Sandcastles, which you actually walk right by when you come off the ship. The beach there is the beach we were on. (ETA: Too bad we didn't have Trip Advisor back then. I just looked at current reviews and they pretty much say what we experienced quite a few years ago. Sad).

We definitely were NOT dressed provocatively, so that's why it was even more frustrating. We had shorts (not short shorts) and t-shirts and tennis shoes or flip flops. And usually baseball caps because it was so hot. Even going from the beach to our room, we all covered up. We were all modest midwestern girls ;) And I love my friends, but none of us would've been considered that pretty. :D I could see if we were talking around in some of the things college girls wear now, but that was definitely not us.

We did find out that there were some US women at our place that came down 4 times a year just to have sex with as many Jamaican men as possible. Maybe they thought we were part of that group? I'm not sure. I had travelled a lot before that, and we all had been warned in advance, but I'd never experienced anything like that. I travelled throughout Europe in high school by myself and never felt as unsafe as I did in Ocho Rios.

We stayed at Sandcastles, which you actually walk right by when you come off the ship. The beach there is the beach we were on. (ETA: Too bad we didn't have Trip Advisor back then. I just looked at current reviews and they pretty much say what we experienced quite a few years ago. Sad).

We definitely were NOT dressed provocatively, so that's why it was even more frustrating. We had shorts (not short shorts) and t-shirts and tennis shoes or flip flops. And usually baseball caps because it was so hot. Even going from the beach to our room, we all covered up. We were all modest midwestern girls ;) And I love my friends, but none of us would've been considered that pretty. :D I could see if we were talking around in some of the things college girls wear now, but that was definitely not us.

We did find out that there were some US women at our place that came down 4 times a year just to have sex with as many Jamaican men as possible. Maybe they thought we were part of that group? I'm not sure. I had travelled a lot before that, and we all had been warned in advance, but I'd never experienced anything like that. I travelled throughout Europe in high school by myself and never felt as unsafe as I did in Ocho Rios.

Thanks for your response.

where the men make obscene gestures and comments at any woman big, small, pretty, ugly just because they are women. It's stupid but that's their culture. I can't believe anyone would respond.

Just back from Ocho and asked a policeman about safety there -- he said the problem was currently in Kingston but they were expecting it to spread in the next few days. As an American I would be very careful. The latest problem stems from the deportation of a suspected "drug lord" to the US.

When aboard a cruise ship that stops in Ocho Rios, we feel very comfortable staying within the fenced/guarded area to the right as you exit the immediate port area. The current situation reinforces our belief that in other Jamaican ports discretion and common sense should prevail.

Ok, picture the worst part of town in the biggest city in your state/province. Every big city has a bad part of town where none of us dare to go. Now imagine something violent going on there. This happens too. What big city doesn't have gang/drug related violence, shootings and murder? Now imagine that there is a warning for the entire country of Canada or the US because of this! Seems rather absurd, doesn't it? Ok, so Jamaica is a much smaller country, so imagine even having a warning for just the entire state/province. Still seems ridiculous doesn't it.

People, it's not even all of Kingston that is affected by this. It's one inner city area. So the tourist cities which are miles away are not affected at all.

I wish the media wouldn't always make everything seem worse when it comes to Jamaica. It's not even as serious as all the drug problems in Mexico, yet people are still going to Cancun etc. Look at Thailand. What a mess, yet people still go.

Use your head and stop being so paranoid. Just be smart wherever you go.

We're going back to Jamaica for the third time this Dec. We're staying at the 2 Couples resort's in OR, but yes, we will go off the resort for excursions and shopping. We've never even considered visting Kingston. So no problem mon.

Can I ask how long ago this was? Based on the Walkman reference this could be 20 -25 years ago. While I am not a college aged woman, I didn't experience nor see anything like what have you described approx 20 years later (2003 or 2005). Did you experience the same life threatening harassment during the hour of your return trip to OR or the basic do you want a ride, buy my stuff type harassment?

Ok, picture the worst part of town in the biggest city in your state/province. Every big city has a bad part of town where none of us dare to go. Now imagine something violent going on there. This happens too. What big city doesn't have gang/drug related violence, shootings and murder? Now imagine that there is a warning for the entire country of Canada or the US because of this! Seems rather absurd, doesn't it? Ok, so Jamaica is a much smaller country, so imagine even having a warning for just the entire state/province. Still seems ridiculous doesn't it.

People, it's not even all of Kingston that is affected by this. It's one inner city area. So the tourist cities which are miles away are not affected at all.

I wish the media wouldn't always make everything seem worse when it comes to Jamaica. It's not even as serious as all the drug problems in Mexico, yet people are still going to Cancun etc. Look at Thailand. What a mess, yet people still go.

Use your head and stop being so paranoid. Just be smart wherever you go.

We're going back to Jamaica for the third time this Dec. We're staying at the 2 Couples resort's in OR, but yes, we will go off the resort for excursions and shopping. We've never even considered visting Kingston. So no problem mon.

I can't wait to see the renovations that were done to OR nka Tower Isle. Hope you have a great time!

Archived