Suggested Gratuities set to increase

prc

As reported on Seatrade Insider,

Royal Caribbean International is raising its recommended gratuities for sailings that commence on or after July 1, 2011.

The new recommended daily amounts for dining staff and housekeeping staff will total $11.65 per passenger, up from $9.75, and $13.90 per suite guest, up from $12.

This is the first gratuities guideline adjustment in 13 years.

Passengers who prepay gratuities or select the My Time Dining flexible dining program before 12:01 a.m. US Eastern Time this Saturday for sailings on or after July 1 will not be affected by the adjusted guideline.

As reported on Seatrade Insider,

Royal Caribbean International is raising its recommended gratuities for sailings that commence on or after July 1, 2011.

The new recommended daily amounts for dining staff and housekeeping staff will total $11.65 per passenger, up from $9.75, and $13.90 per suite guest, up from $12.

This is the first gratuities guideline adjustment in 13 years.

Passengers who prepay gratuities or select the My Time Dining flexible dining program before 12:01 a.m. US Eastern Time this Saturday for sailings on or after July 1 will not be affected by the adjusted guideline.

I guess I can fork out another couple bucks since they haven't had a raise in 13 years.:D Maybe the Porters at the terminal will want a raise in tips as well!:D

I figured this would be a blazing topic. Maybe there's other threads I haven't found.

Or most cruisers, like me, don't find this a huge deal. I usually tip more than this anyway. I do the "envelope" and palm a bit of cash as well. I've heard stories how tips are shared and want to make sure they know that I've appreciated their hard work and excellent service.

I will tip a bit during the cruise (room service, laundry runs and the like) but usually not the bar staff as that is included. I did make one exception for the nice lady who ran up to the pool bar a couple of times for my sangria. I don't understand why they only make and serve that at one bar! :eek:

Still, this is cheap for the service that I've always gotten.

I have no problem with them raising the rates. I think they are still lower than you would pay for a night out at a mid priced restaurant. I'd rather give more money to the people who work hard for it than to corporate for some other kind of charge.

I agree it is simply a guideline. Unfortunately I know of many people who do not tip at all under any circumstance as they feel like they paid enough for the cruise. I normally tip at least double the recommended tip or more for great service. In the past I have tipped the Steward more, the assistanct waiter more, the waiter less and the head waiter varies. In my past cruises the waiter has not done much at all and once even not returned for the tip.

Don't get too excited, it only comes to about $2 a day per person. That's less than a cup of coffee. Like some of the previous posters have said, we usually increase the recomended amount any way so it's reall no big deal.

Not a guideline if you want "My Time Dinning"

I was given envelopes on my last cruise, with those coupons to put into the envelopes if you wanted to use them. You can either just give them the coupon in the envelope or not bother at all. We used them, and added the extra cash to the ones we thought warranted it for good service.

You can also just hand them the extra cash....will be accepted....no problemo! :)

A bit surprising that it has been so longer since an increase. I am happy that my last raise was not 13 years ago.

That's just it, though. If they want to give them a raise, give them a raise and pass it on to us in the price of the cruise. That's fine. But raising the "suggested" tipping amount? Come on. As these boards have continuously proven, some people tip more than the suggested amount, but there are apparently those who feel that tipping is not necessary at all. If RCI thinks its employees deserve more money, then it should step up and pay them more. Either way, it's passed on to us. This way, it just makes anyone who complains about the increase look cheap.

We always pay the suggested amount, and usually more, so I have no problem tipping, but let's just be real about what this really is.

That's just it, though. If they want to give them a raise, give them a raise and pass it on to us in the price of the cruise. .... If RCI thinks its employees deserve more money, then it should step up and pay them more. Either way, it's passed on to us. This way, it just makes anyone who complains about the increase look cheap.

Spot on.

That's just it, though. If they want to give them a raise, give them a raise and pass it on to us in the price of the cruise. That's fine. But raising the "suggested" tipping amount? Come on. As these boards have continuously proven, some people tip more than the suggested amount, but there are apparently those who feel that tipping is not necessary at all. If RCI thinks its employees deserve more money, then it should step up and pay them more. Either way, it's passed on to us. This way, it just makes anyone who complains about the increase look cheap.

We always pay the suggested amount, and usually more, so I have no problem tipping, but let's just be real about what this really is.

Either way there will be complaints. Pass it on as an increase and folks will start saying that since the fare went up and wages went up no need to tip. No easy answer.

Good thing its a guideline!! The tipping can get expensive and increase the total cost of a vacation substantially!:eek::eek:

And I'm betting more than a few pax lower those guidelines because they have probably overspent elsewhere and don't have the $$ for tips at the end of their cruise. So they invent reasons to lower the gratuities.:(

That is just a quide line, as in all tipping. I will sometimes tip more, much more for superior service, and less for horrible service.

Tipping is supposed to be an incentive...not a given.

I certainly agree with you. We also tip more especially to our room steward and a few others. I do have to wonder though.:confused: When was the last time the cruise line gave their employees a raise :eek:??????? HMMMMM !!!!!! Everyone deserves a raise from their employer as well .....

Tipping to me is like being a salesperson, of which I retired from after many years in the business. I never worked on a salary, and insisted on 100% commission. I made more money that way. I worked hard and my income showed it. Incentive works like that.

As in the crew members that make part of their income (for some most), the better the service they provide, the more income they make. That is the way tipping works too. If you don't want to tip, or you just follow the guidelines (which are there as a "suggestion" and in place to help the confused), or you tip more than the guidelines. That is your choice.

I think the ones that don't tip are in the minority here....fortunately for the crew members.

Archived