Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

We crashed this morning when we docked due to high winds (into the dock) and have a 45' hole about 6' wide at the widest and don't know when we will leave here. April 23 cruise is canceled as far as we know. Earliest return is late Saturday ormidday Sunday. Inspectors and engineers showing up tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about the accident Cindy: I sure hope no one was hurt in the collision. I'm surprised to hear that the April 23rd sailing might be cancelled: I thought perhaps it would just depart later than scheduled. We were scheduled to board the Grandeur this coming Saturday but had to cancel our cruise due to a family member's medical situation. I feel so bad for those that are still booked and were planning on boarding on the 23rd. Please keep us posted as to the Grandeur's repair progress and its projected return date to New Orleans. We hope to reschedule our Grandeur cruise for this Fall if all goes well. Good luck!

Latest "unofficial announcement" from the guest relations desk is arrival in NOLA sometime Sunday. I do know we can now book another excursion in Costa Maya for tomorrow which means the earliest we will leave is tomorrow evening. I just feel bad about the next cruisers; we're just fine here. But man, that hole is BIG, on the first level. The Mexican police are forbidding people to take pictures ... I have no idea why. but we still got a few. When we returned to the ship this evening, you could see through the hole into the ship and people inside. Actually I can't see how the ship suffered this much damage when the pier is just a bit crumpled, concrete falling off right at the end, and we of course weren't going fast at all. Captain says the 15 knot winds and the 3 knot headwind did it for us. Oh well.

Sounds like you are in two holes at once there. Costa Maya is so make believe it is a joke. Last place in the world I would want to be stuck in an artificial port. I feel sorry for all of you now.

Cheers,

P&V

Hope you get some free booze!!!!!!!

I think the unRegal Empress collided with the pier several years ago putting the pier out of condition for quite some time. I agree with an earlier poster. The port of Costa Maya is so contrived that it is silly.

The line for internet is quite long, since it's Free at the moment. :) We managed to get a few pictures, but they are from far away as they wouldn't let you stop. We heard that someone got a picture when it first happened and was selling them to people on shore.

I'm looking at this computer and can't see any way to upload a photo as they have everything except monitor and speakers locked away.

As zacknlucy reported, they were very firm about not taking pictures. Anyone that stopped was shooed away and they'd put their hand over your camera. Not sure what all the secrecy is about. We had two other ships in port with us, so it's not like it'll be a secret too long. I'm sure they will have pictures out before we get home.

I can't believe how extensive the damage. When the ship hit, we all assumed a cart had rolled down the hall or something. There was no sudden jarring to let us know we hit anything. We were actually surprised when we went out and saw the hole so deep that we could see inside the cabin it hit. I believe they are just putting a "band aid" on it to get us home. They are covering the hole, but it will take much work to fix all of the layers. I was curious to know if the news was covering this at home.

I don't think it would be right for us to speculate about future cruises. I actually came on here to see if there was news about us in the oustide world. I do know that the hole is big and will take some doing to fix. They had to ship some engineers in to oversee the repairs just to get us back home.

People waiting for puter again. Gotta go. Hey when do they offer the free booze? :) I'll get on tomorrow and let yall know the progress.

Thank you for keeping us informed. I am so sorry to hear this. I was suppose to get married on the ship on Saturday. From these posts, I feel I should start calling guests and letting them know that it won't be happening. I am sick at my stomach. It just doesn't seem real.

Jen

Jenn so sorry I know how awful this must be for you as our daughter was married onboard Rhapsody and something like this was in the back of my mind. No mishaps for us thankfully. Are any of your guests sailing with you?

Archived