Not really a question...Cruise Jargon

CFitzRN

Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one! hahaha

It is "DEFINITELY", not "definately"

It is "on BOARD" not "on bored" (haha!)

I will definitely have more to add... and yes, I am totally pms'ing today, so I apologize in advance. :p

I have been wanting to post similar corrections but since we are not supposed to correct spellings or grammar I will not comment on any specifics.:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

But, like you, it just drives me up the wall. I have a full page of these little tidbits----guess it comes from being too uptight.

I have been wanting to post similar corrections but since we are not supposed to correct spellings or grammar I will not comment on any specifics.:eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

But, like you, it just drives me up the wall. I have a full page of these little tidbits----guess it comes from being too uptight.

I imagine this thread will get pulled at some point...might as well get it off your chest now :D

Besides, we're not correcting anyone in particular....maybe this thread can be considered a Public Service Announcement

But, you know, we're not specifically correcting the spelling or grammar of a particular post or user, so I fail to see the harm. Hey, you could say we're offering a public service! All from the goodness of our loving hearts even. We're such good people. :D :D :D

Just thought of another!!

"Should have went"; "Could have ran"; "I am done"

=

"Should have GONE"; "Could have RUN"; "I have finished"

Dang - I should've been an English teacher, not an RN!!

:p

This is way too much fun for me. I think I might need a life. (I'm off school today so I am enjoying doing nothing)

"Went to there cabin" - THEIR

"Their is too much smoke" - THERE

"There really fun people" - THEY'RE

Somebody stop me!

"Your welcome" - YOU'RE

Oh, you guys are GOOD!!

The "then/than" one really bugs the carp outta me (yes, I meant to spell it like the fish).

"He is much taller then her"

=

"He is much taller THAN SHE"

heh heh heh heh heh - who knew this could be so liberating?

I could say all of you must not have much to do if you spend time making up all of these things, but then, what does that say about me spening time actually reading all this?:confused: Great diversion from way too many of the serious threads here daily. Thanks for the laughs.:D

I could say all of you must not have much to do if you spend time making up all of these things, but then, what does that say about me spening time actually reading all this?:confused: Great diversion from way too many of the serious threads here daily. Thanks for the laughs.:D

Hey, I readily admit that I have no life at the moment. I am reveling in the fact that I don't have to DO anything right now. I've been in nursing school for the past two years, I graduate in a week, and right now I have nothing to study, nothing to read, no work to do, and nothing to feel guilty for NOT working on, and sadly this is fun for me, haha! :D And that last sentence was riddled with grammatical errors, so you guys can rip me a new one!

Yes I'll add to it -

Never start a sentence with "me". Here's an example.

Incorrect: Me and my DW will be going on our first cruise.

Correct: My DW and "I" will be going on our first cruise.

When in doubt rephrase it by removing the second person and seeing how it would sound to someone else.

Example of incorrect version: Me will be going on my first cruise.

Example of correct version: I will be going on my first cruise.

Yes I'll add to it -

Never start a sentence with "me". Here's an example.

Incorrect: Me and my DW will be going on our first cruise.

Correct: My DW and "I" will be going on our first cruise.

When in doubt rephrase it by removing the second person and seeing how it would sound to someone else.

Example of incorrect version: Me will be going on my first cruise.

Example of correct version: I will be going on my first cruise.

Nicely done! That is the exact method I have used to teach my sons proper grammar, and it works really well. Unfortunately I think I have passed on my stickler-ness to them. A few days ago I overheard my youngest son (10) speaking to a friend. Here's how it "went down":

Friend: "That big slide is way funner than the small one!"

Son: "Funner is not a word. It's 'more fun'".

Friend: "Funner is TOO a word! 'F-U-N-E-R, funner'!"

Son: (laughing his arse off) - "You even spelled the non-word wrong!"

I was doubled over laughing. It was one of the funniest exchanges I have ever witnessed.

Archived