upgrade preferences restrictions

Maybe I am just thick headed but I do not understand what the restrictions mean. This is what it says.

I would like an upgrade but have restrictions

inside promenade

Friends & Family

Boardwalk or Promenade

Accessible stateroom

consecutive sailings

same deck

Do you select the restrictions you want to be upgraded to or do you select the ones you don't want upgraded to? What does friends and family mean? The restrictions just don't make sense to me. What am I missing? I would call and ask but I already know that if I called ten times I would get ten different answers.

Maybe I am just thick headed but I do not understand what the restrictions mean. This is what it says.

inside promenade

Friends & Family

Boardwalk or Promenade

Accessible stateroom

consecutive sailings

same deck

Do you select the restrictions you want to be upgraded to or do you select the ones you don't want upgraded to? What does friends and family mean? The restrictions just don't make sense to me. What am I missing? I would call and ask but I already know that if I called ten times I would get ten different answers.

Yea seems dumb!!!!!!

inside promenade

Friends & Family

Boardwalk or Promenade

Accessible stateroom

consecutive sailings

same deck

I can tell you about 4 of them:

friends and family - I am traveling with others and want my cabin to be near theirs, so I only want an upgrade if we all still are neighbors.

accessible stateroom - I only want an upgrade if I can still have a handicapped accessible cabin.

consecutive cabins - I am on a back to back cruise, and I currently have the same cabin for both cruises, so I only want an upgrade if you will change my cabin for both cruises and it is the same cabin.

same deck - I only want an upgrade if the upgraded cabin is on the same deck as the cabin that I booked.

inside promenade

Friends & Family

Boardwalk or Promenade

Accessible stateroom

consecutive sailings

same deck

You are not alone in having trouble understanding. They should have another option which says, "I want to be upgraded, but call me first". There's no way to select that on the website. However, if you call C&A and mention that, they can change it on the website so it says you want to be upgraded, but none of the other conditions are checked. Essentially, this would be the "call me" option.

If you do not check any .. does that mean I do NOT want to be upgraded?

When I pick a specific cabin .. I do not want an upgrade period.

You can change your Upgrade Preferences for each cruise you book. If you have booked a specific cabin, then nothing should be checked for that particular cruise.

If you do not check any .. does that mean I do NOT want to be upgraded?

When I pick a specific cabin .. I do not want an upgrade period.

Bad web site design to have "radio buttons" without an option to turn them all off. Once you select one of them there is no way to un-select as with a check box. So you either have 'Automatic upgrades" or "restricted upgrade". Sad to say but if you are booked in a non-accessible balcony or higher you can select "accessible stateroom" and safely be assured you will not be upgraded because most ships there are only two that would qualify and they are always booked. Worst case and one is available they would have to call to determine eligibility so you could decline then.

You can change your Upgrade Preferences for each cruise you book. If you have booked a specific cabin, then nothing should be checked for that particular cruise.

I'm curious - where is this selection made for a specific booking? I've looked all over my current reservation but don't see it.

I'm curious - where is this selection made for a specific booking? I've looked all over my current reservation but don't see it.

Sorry, I should clarify my comment. :o Just like with the beverage that comes with the Welcome Aboard Basket as well as the D+ amenitu(s) that can be ordered, you can change these items for each cruise by making a different selection.

Since upgrades are usually given after final payment and closer to departure date you can set your upgrade preference for you most current cruise and then change those preferences for each cruise thereafter upon your return home.

Your preferences are not set in stone and can be changed to suit each cruise you have booked. It's just a matter of going in and resetting your preferences.

Bad web site design to have "radio buttons" without an option to turn them all off. Once you select one of them there is no way to un-select as with a check box. So you either have 'Automatic upgrades" or "restricted upgrade". Sad to say but if you are booked in a non-accessible balcony or higher you can select "accessible stateroom" and safely be assured you will not be upgraded because most ships there are only two that would qualify and they are always booked. Worst case and one is available they would have to call to determine eligibility so you could decline then.

I agree with you about the very poor website design. However, as I mentioned above, you can get the checkbox checked next to "I would like an upgrade but have restrictions", with no radio buttons selected. Unfortunately, you must call C&A to do it. The website won't allow it.

Sorry, I should clarify my comment. :o Just like with the beverage that comes with the Welcome Aboard Basket as well as the D+ amenitu(s) that can be ordered, you can change these items for each cruise by making a different selection.

Since upgrades are usually given after final payment and closer to departure date you can set your upgrade preference for you most current cruise and then change those preferences for each cruise thereafter upon your return home.

Your preferences are not set in stone and can be changed to suit each cruise you have booked. It's just a matter of going in and resetting your preferences.

This is true for the most part. However, for those who have cruises booked close together, such as consecutive cruises, it's not a good design. Say you want a different amenity or upgrade choice for cruise 1 vs cruise 2. How do we know when they have read our choice for cruise 1 and it's safe to change the the preference for cruise 2? Even then, if your B2B was 2 15 day cruises, you could probably make it work. But if your B2B is a 3 day followed by a 4 day, it would be impossible to know when you could change the preference for cruise 2, without messing up the preference for cruise 1.

A better design would be to add "per cruise" preference selections, in the same area where you choose excursions, wine packages, etc. I'd keep the current preference section under the profile area, as a method to initially populate the settings for each cruise. This way, folks who never change their preferences would have nothing to change. However, those of us who change preferences "per cruise" would have a way to make changes specific to a cruise.

Bob

inside promenade

Friends & Family

Boardwalk or Promenade

Accessible stateroom

consecutive sailings

same deck

You are selecting what you DO NOT want them to change and you are defining what you like or need.

Adding to the response of Merion Mom-

People (we) who book PRomenade cabins select this inside class to save money, central midship (front to

back-top to bottom) location, floor plan and view from the room. It is normally the most expensive inside

cabin and an upgrade (one catagory) would be an ocean view located on the lower decks or the front of

the ship. In as much as we cant say upgrade to balcony only, we elect not to upgrade.

Archived