Just off the oasis on 9 day cruise

Excellent trip - not going to do an extensive trip report but we had a fantastic 9 days on her. Last week we missed Bahamas do to a tropical depression and had an extra sea day. Food was good to excellent and we actually only ate in the wj once. Breakfast we either ate at Johnny rockets which was made to order beast and free or Central Park cafe which had amazing bacon egg and cheese sandwiches. Staff were great and now back to reality. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try and respond .

Hi,

I will be boarding in less than 3 weeks on a B2B. I blog my cruises and this will be my first time on Oasis. This blog will be turning into something different.... no spoilers.

I appreciate your dining recommendations very much. Otherwise was there anything you wish you'd done on board that you didn't get to? Was there one thing that was unforgettable? Any criticisms at all?

Thanks.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We have been on the ship before and can't say there was anything we wished we did. Criticism wise I would say the wj is simply too small on this ship but will be corrected in dry dock when Izumi gets taken out and the wj will be part of it. 2) the cooling in public areas such as waiting outside the mdr was mediocre at best but we were told this will also be corrected in dry dock bc they still be replacing 4! Out of six motors / generators since the oasis is only running on two . Struck me as odd as well but there were three other staff members we confirmed this with and they also said the oasis use to be a much faster ship but since they have less power they run slower (fastest I saw on our trip was 18 knots)

We have been on the ship before and can't say there was anything we wished we did. Criticism wise I would say the wj is simply too small on this ship but will be corrected in dry dock when Izumi gets taken out and the wj will be part of it.

Where/when did you hear that? Izumi is still on my Cruise Planner for November. I'm very familiar with RCI's "outstanding" technology services:rolleyes:, so I don't necessarily think the planner is correct, but I hadn't heard about Izumi being taken out.

there was a big fight in the WJ near the end of the cruise...anyone witness it? One guy threatened the other - "I'm going to kill you...."

We saw 5 security guards running into the Windjammer and - being nosey :o - I had a wander down to see what was going on. Didn't witness it but apparently two guys were pushing each other. What could be so important in the Windjammer that you get into a fight over it :rolleyes:

Where/when did you hear that? Izumi is still on my Cruise Planner for November. I'm very familiar with RCI's "outstanding" technology services:rolleyes:, so I don't necessarily think the planner is correct, but I hadn't heard about Izumi being taken out.

Izumi is being relocated to deck 4, not taken out altogether.

We saw 5 security guards running into the Windjammer and - being nosey :o - I had a wander down to see what was going on. Didn't witness it but apparently two guys were pushing each other. What could be so important in the Windjammer that you get into a fight over it :rolleyes:

Probably the same 2 guys that finished it off at Johnny Rockets !

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095406

Excellent trip - not going to do an extensive trip report but we had a fantastic 9 days on her. Last week we missed Bahamas do to a tropical depression and had an extra sea day. Food was good to excellent and we actually only ate in the wj once. Breakfast we either ate at Johnny rockets which was made to order beast and free or Central Park cafe which had amazing bacon egg and cheese sandwiches. Staff were great and now back to reality. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try and respond .
Hi there, I didn't know you were staying on the next two days. Did you attend the M&M? We went but only got a chance to talk to just a few people.

We had a fantastic cruise as well and agree about the food, staff and the issue with areas that felt way too warm. The elevators were sometimes really bad....they were downright hot.:eek:

Was this on the 7 day cruise or 2 day? Maybe they were fighting about the the last few pieces of jerk chicken!;)

Probably the same 2 guys that finished it off at Johnny Rockets !

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095406

I would have love to read it but the thread is now invalid.:rolleyes:

Hey guys - just got home. We were on the 7 day and extended and booked thev2 day while on board. They could have given us a dirt cheap balcony room for the transatlantic but I had my wife who needed to attend to school. Did not hear or see the fight in the wj but I did notice the sixth or seventh day of the cruise we were dead stopped in the water. Also heard two alpha calls. Had a great time but she is in need of a little love in dry dock. I agree, lots to do in dry dock and I think the biggest surprise f dry dock was dynamic dining (only heard this from one crew member where they were turning the three dining rooms into a separate restaurant each). Please take that statement with a grain of salt. Also I have never experienced such rood and pompous guests. The crew is there to serve to you, not to slave to you. Amazes me how rude people are

Was this on the 7 day cruise or 2 day?

It was on the 7 day - the closed thread referred to the 2 day

Also heard two alpha calls. Had a great time but she is in need of a little love in dry dock. I agree, lots to do in dry dock and I think the biggest surprise f dry dock was dynamic dining (only heard this from one crew member where they were turning the three dining rooms into a separate restaurant each). Please take that statement with a grain of salt. Also I have never experienced such rood and pompous guests. The crew is there to serve to you, not to slave to you. Amazes me how rude people are

There was an Alpha call to a cabin 10 doors down from us. Saw around 6 staff, including medics with large box (defib?). It didn't look good - we were asked to go the opposite way down the corridor.

Encountered less rude and pompous guests on here than on many of our other cruises. But never encountered so many lazy people who will wait for elevators but who are not prepared to walk just one or two decks.

Edited by Bobal

Was this on the 7 day cruise or 2 day? Maybe they were fighting about the the last few pieces of jerk chicken!;)

I would have love to read it but the thread is now invalid.:rolleyes:

That or they found a batch of Honey Strung Chicken and down to the last piece.

I missed not having it on my last cruise.

Hi,

I will be boarding in less than 3 weeks on a B2B. I blog my cruises and this will be my first time on Oasis. This blog will be turning into something different.... no spoilers.

I appreciate your dining recommendations very much. Otherwise was there anything you wish you'd done on board that you didn't get to? Was there one thing that was unforgettable? Any criticisms at all?

Thanks.

NorbertsNiece, please post all that you can find out about dry dock and DD. We are all dying to know. I cruise next June. Thanks in advance.

Here are some comments I heard on dry dock from RCI employees. I can not say for certain that these will happen but I don't see why the employees would lie. There comments are as follows:

1) Apparently only 4 out of 6 motors/generators are working; they plan on replacing the 4 (which means they need to take a chunk out of her hull to take out the old and install the new)

2) The Solarium pool is going to be completely redone (as there are tiles and such falling off of the pool)

3) Windjammer will be extended into Izumi to accommodate more guests

4) The Seafood Shack will be taken out and replaced with another venue (he did not know what exactly)

5) Cats will be coming to the Oasis

6) Dynamic Dining is apparently coming to the Oasis. That means they will eliminate all 3 dining rooms and have a restaurant on each floor which you can eat at for free.

7) Fresh coat of bottom paint

8) Carpets in common areas are to be replaced

9) Teak across the top decks are suppose to be redone

10) With new motors, cooling should improve drastically

Here are some comments I heard on dry dock from RCI employees. I can not say for certain that these will happen but I don't see why the employees would lie. There comments are as follows:

1) Apparently only 4 out of 6 motors/generators are working; they plan on replacing the 4 (which means they need to take a chunk out of her hull to take out the old and install the new)

2) The Solarium pool is going to be completely redone (as there are tiles and such falling off of the pool)

3) Windjammer will be extended into Izumi to accommodate more guests

4) The Seafood Shack will be taken out and replaced with another venue (he did not know what exactly)

5) Cats will be coming to the Oasis

6) Dynamic Dining is apparently coming to the Oasis. That means they will eliminate all 3 dining rooms and have a restaurant on each floor which you can eat at for free.

7) Fresh coat of bottom paint

8) Carpets in common areas are to be replaced

9) Teak across the top decks are suppose to be redone

10) With new motors, cooling should improve drastically

Fresh coat of bottom paint on a ship that size? DH just painted the bottom of our 22 foot sailboat and was complaining.:D

We were on the first leg of the trip with you. Had a blast! Not sure if you saw my husband in the glittery jacket during the cruise! Seems so many people loved his costume for 70's night and the prohibition! Happy future cruises!